E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Space Saver Wheel

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 06:16 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Expecting to pick up my new 520dSE next week. Previously been caught out in a 330d halfway across France, and want the comfort of having an emergency spare as opposed to trying to hunt down an english speaking BMW fitter !

It's a ?75 option from new, but this car is already from dealer stock and they are not sure if they can retro-fit.

a) can the space saver kit just drop in the boot void, and has anyone else bought for the ?75 after they have got the car.

b) anywhere else I can just buy a wheel / jack from - what size tyre is it to suit 17" alloys ?

Jon
Old 01-02-2008, 07:16 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Estoril Blue 440i GC
Model Year: 2017

Jon,

From experience:
If you can get the dealer to give you a spare kit for ?75, then grab it with both hands. It shows you the quality of the dealership that they don't know if they can retrofit

The space saver will fit into the wheel well in two ways:
1. Remove the tray liner and store it in your loft.
2. Get a Stanley or Kraft knife and shave off the notches for the storage quadrant in the tray liner.

The wheel will then fit in.

The genuine BMW kit will come with the wheel, tyre (obviously!) and a plastic storage tray for the supplied jack, brace and wheel chock to go inside the wheel when it is in the tray in the boot. To purchase this after sale is around ?160 I believe (it comes as a kit under one part number - so much for the dealer not knowing if it will fit. - I think it is 36110308889 according to RealOEM!!

To be a cheapskate like me, you go to your local friendly tyre factor and ask him - it cost me around ?80 for the new wheel and Continental tyre. I usually carry a hydraulic jack and have a brace etc. To be even more like me, be a real cheapskate and get a Vauxhall Carlton/Omega (and probably Vectra etc) jack from your local scrappie, spend 45 seconds with a Junior hacksaw on the plastic top to the jack and it will fit perfectly into the BMW slots in the sills!

If you need further info on wheel / tyre sizes let me know and I'll have a look.

Beware that space savers on the likes of eBay may not fit due to different stud fittings.

BTW, if you are coming from a 330d (as I did) to an E60, I wonder how long you will keep the runflat tyres on your car? I understand that the new LCi's are better suited to RFT's, but earlier models like mine are awful!!

Enjoy the car.

Mike
Old 01-02-2008, 09:15 AM
Members

Originally Posted by AlwynMike' post='512782' date='Jan 2 2008, 04:16 PM
Jon,

From experience:
If you can get the dealer to give you a spare kit for ?75, then grab it with both hands. It shows you the quality of the dealership that they don't know if they can retrofit

The space saver will fit into the wheel well in two ways:
1. Remove the tray liner and store it in your loft.
2. Get a Stanley or Kraft knife and shave off the notches for the storage quadrant in the tray liner.

The wheel will then fit in.

The genuine BMW kit will come with the wheel, tyre (obviously!) and a plastic storage tray for the supplied jack, brace and wheel chock to go inside the wheel when it is in the tray in the boot. To purchase this after sale is around ?160 I believe (it comes as a kit under one part number - so much for the dealer not knowing if it will fit. - I think it is 36110308889 according to RealOEM!!

To be a cheapskate like me, you go to your local friendly tyre factor and ask him - it cost me around ?80 for the new wheel and Continental tyre. I usually carry a hydraulic jack and have a brace etc. To be even more like me, be a real cheapskate and get a Vauxhall Carlton/Omega (and probably Vectra etc) jack from your local scrappie, spend 45 seconds with a Junior hacksaw on the plastic top to the jack and it will fit perfectly into the BMW slots in the sills!

If you need further info on wheel / tyre sizes let me know and I'll have a look.

Beware that space savers on the likes of eBay may not fit due to different stud fittings.

BTW, if you are coming from a 330d (as I did) to an E60, I wonder how long you will keep the runflat tyres on your car? I understand that the new LCi's are better suited to RFT's, but earlier models like mine are awful!!

Enjoy the car.

Mike
To be fair to the dealer, service/parts were closed and he was going to check, but the forum seems better educated. As far as cost ?75 is a factory fit, he was going to check about the cost through parts - ?160 is a rip of (I'm a cheapskate too)

The car comes with breakdown cover, and I already have some spare jacks I could use, so not bothered about getting the wheel on/off, so just need a tyre. Anyone got one spare ? Or know the size and offset so I can get one elsewhere; already tried and failed on ebay; where else can I try ?

Jon
Old 01-02-2008, 10:56 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Estoril Blue 440i GC
Model Year: 2017

Jon,

Took out my wheel:
Stamped on the (genuine BMW) wheel is : 4.00B x 17 H2
and 6 758 778

The tyre is 135/80 T R 17

According to RealOEM, the part number should be 36116758778, which tallies with the number on mine. Perhaps someone with a valid Parts Disc can cross reference other BMW's that it will fit.

Hope it's a help.

BTW, the Vauxhall jack head needs to be trimmed to 32mm x 58mm max to fit the BMW sill socket.

Mike