E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Song Titles from New CD Appear on Screen

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 10:20 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just purchased a new CD by the group Zero 7 and the song titles appeared on the screen when I put it in the CD player. This has never happened with any other CDs I have played in my car. Does anyone know whether this is a new technology that will be found on new disks or a one-off situation?

Thanks.

MR
Old 07-26-2006, 10:35 AM
Members

To attempt to avoid the response that I should do a search first, I should mention that I have searched this topic and read the numerous posts on this and related topics, but am wondering if anyone knows whether more companies are burning disks with this information or is this disk just from one of the few companies that do.

Thanks.

MR

---------------

Originally Posted by MarinersRule' post='315378' date='Jul 26 2006, 02:20 PM
I just purchased a new CD by the group Zero 7 and the song titles appeared on the screen when I put it in the CD player. This has never happened with any other CDs I have played in my car. Does anyone know whether this is a new technology that will be found on new disks or a one-off situation?

Thanks.

MR
Old 07-26-2006, 10:38 AM
Members

My Ride: 530i, Sport Package, Premium Package, Navigation.

Certain CDs have CD Text which will display song titles, artist names, etc. on players that take advantage. Unfortunately, not all record companies use CD Text so it is going to be a hit or miss affair with even the newest CDs.
Old 07-26-2006, 10:49 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Very few commercial discs come coded with CD text but it's easy to add to any of your own discs if you burn a backup copy of your disc (an uncompressed image, not an mp3/aac disc etc). I'm a mac user at home so I use Toast which will locate and write the appropriate track info as CD text on your new backup copy. Really can't understand why CD text isn't standard issue on all commercial discs but it's pretty easy to add if you like it.
Old 07-26-2006, 11:10 AM
Members

My Ride: 530i, Sport Package, Premium Package, Navigation.

Originally Posted by swajames' post='315391' date='Jul 26 2006, 11:49 AM
Very few commercial discs come coded with CD text but it's easy to add to any of your own discs if you burn a backup copy of your disc (an uncompressed image, not an mp3/aac disc etc). I'm a mac user at home so I use Toast which will locate and write the appropriate track info as CD text on your new backup copy. Really can't understand why CD text isn't standard issue on all commercial discs but it's pretty easy to add if you like it.
Good point! On the Windows platform, you can use Roxio's Easy Media Creator to add CD Text to back-up audio disc as well.
Old 07-26-2006, 01:27 PM
Senior Members

They've been putting all of that info on CDs for years. I can't remember the last CD I bought that didn't have that info on it. Although I only know of one CD that I've bought where that info actually showed up on my iDrive screen.

Hey MarinersRule, I take it you live in the Seattle area. How'd ya like the spanking we gave the Red Sox last weekend?
Old 07-26-2006, 01:43 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by Heiss5' post='315462' date='Jul 26 2006, 02:27 PM
They've been putting all of that info on CDs for years. I can't remember the last CD I bought that didn't have that info on it. Although I only know of one CD that I've bought where that info actually showed up on my iDrive screen.
So only one of your CD's actually had CD text...... Unfortunately the vast majority don't, but every disc is uniquely identifiable. That's is how Gracenote and CDDB etc are able to suppy track and artist info, which may be what you are talking about. iTunes and WMP etc get the track and artist data from internet databases, not from the disc itself. Kind of surprised to see so few discs support this, can't understand why either.
Old 07-26-2006, 01:44 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nero Express or iTune will do.
Old 07-26-2006, 01:48 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by swajames' post='315477' date='Jul 26 2006, 02:43 PM
So only one of your CD's actually had CD text...... Unfortunately the vast majority don't, but every disc is uniquely identifiable. That's is how Gracenote and CDDB etc are able to suppy track and artist info, which may be what you are talking about. iTunes and WMP etc get the track and artist data from internet databases, not from the disc itself. Kind of surprised to see so few discs support this, can't understand why either.
I may be wrong, but all the info shows up when I throw them in my computer regardless of whether I'm connected to the internet or not. And by connected I mean having either an ethernet or wireless connection, not just turning on explorer, or aol, or whetever.
Old 07-26-2006, 09:06 PM
Members

H5-

I actually live in Connecticut, but have been a huge Mariners fan for many years. The 9-8 game was a classic.

As for song titles, one of the cool things about sat radio is seeing the song and artist name on the screen and many radio stations provide the same. It's too bad they make it more complicated to get the info from most (almost all) disks on the screen.

MR

Originally Posted by Heiss5' post='315462' date='Jul 26 2006, 05:27 PM

Hey MarinersRule, I take it you live in the Seattle area. How'd ya like the spanking we gave the Red Sox last weekend?

Quick Reply: Song Titles from New CD Appear on Screen