E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

solenoid problem... Help!?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 12:03 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: A mean 5 series sitting nice... Lol
Default solenoid problem... Help!?

So I just had my transmission swapped out, but now the mechanic said there is a solenoid error that is causing the CHECK ENGINE light to come on. Error code p0979. I read the problem might be something that could be reset by the dealer, but I'm not sure. Also what might happen if I drive with this error code?
Old 02-25-2014, 02:46 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

When you say you had the transmission swapped out, what exactly was done? New transmission? Used? Used with your old valve body installed? Used with the old valve body? Who did the swap for you, and why was it replaced to begin with?
Old 02-25-2014, 07:27 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by KyleB
When you say you had the transmission swapped out, what exactly was done? New transmission? Used? Used with your old valve body installed? Used with the old valve body? Who did the swap for you, and why was it replaced to begin with?
Hi, I had my previos transmission replaced with another used transmission because of a transmission fail with error codes for gear ratio monitoring 4/5. while the transmission was in the previos car, there was no CHECK ENGINE light on. Now thats its in my vehicle the light is on.
Old 02-26-2014, 01:55 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

Did they reuse the valve body out of your original transmission?
Old 02-26-2014, 08:03 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by KyleB
Did they reuse the valve body out of your original transmission?

No, I believe they used the 1 from the used one I bought.
Old 02-28-2014, 02:18 PM
New Members

My Ride: BMW e60

having exact same problem here... I had transmission failure and I sent it to tranny shop to repair it. they said valve body solenoid was bad, they changed it, tranny worked very bad, then they did something to valve body but it still worked bad. Now they said that my valve body is bad, and they gave me another one which is good. Now shifting is good. Maybe not 100% but I would say 80%. Few days ago, I got transmission fault, brought it to indy BMW shop, he scanned it, reseted, then check engine light appeared. He checked the light code and it shown that it's coming from tranny. The guy works in BMW dealership and have his own shop where works in the evening. He said he just got new BMW software to update cars and scan them, and it shown that my shifter is bad. He took it apart, and he said it was all sticky bc I spilled coffee on it and I need a new shifter assembly to make check engine light go away. He said this is 3rd time that he see this problem.... Any thoughts? Any advices?

Last edited by Eimantas; 02-28-2014 at 02:20 PM.
Old 02-28-2014, 07:36 PM
Members

It's plausible, but get the code for your transmission error first. Google it.
Old 03-01-2014, 06:29 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by Eimantas
having exact same problem here... I had transmission failure and I sent it to tranny shop to repair it. they said valve body solenoid was bad, they changed it, tranny worked very bad, then thy did something to valve body but it still worked bad. Now they said that my valve body is bad, and they gave me another one which is good. Now shifting is good. Maybe not 100% but I would say 80%. Few days ago, I got transmission fault, brought it to indy BMW shop, he scanned it, reseted, then check engine light appeared. He checked the light code and it shown that it's coming from tranny. The guy works in BMW dealership and have his own shop where works in the evening. He said he just got new BMW software to update cars and scan them, and it shown that my shifter is bad. He took it apart, and he said it was all sticky bc I spilled coffee on it and I need a new shifter assembly to make check engine light go away. He said this is 3rd time that he see this problem.... Anyv thoughts? Any advices?
Wow thats crazy. I just got my car back yesterday after having a transmission put in and the valve body changed. So im driving home and the same transmission malfunction message came up. I was sooo ready to "HULK SMASH" something lol. After reading your reply, im going to take it back and have him check the shifter. Did you get your car back yet and what is the damage looking like$?
Old 03-01-2014, 05:24 PM
New Members

The TRANSMISSION MALFUNCTION message came up again today for the second time after picking it up from the shop after it was supposedly fixed. I took it to another shop today and had my battery read and it is low. Now that im thinking about it, my idrive was shutting on and off while driving a few days before the malfunction message came up. I gues when I got the trans message I went into a trans and forgot about that. (yes that was a funny n u better laugh, how else am I suppose to shed light to this 3 month head ache!!!?) So im hoping a new battery might solve all my problems... Wishfull thinking I kno...