E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Soggy Clutch

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 09:16 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Guys,

Today I got into my car as normal and I noticed that my clutch felt very soggy. It picked up higher as well. Its almost as if the clutch is ready to let go.
Now before the flames start coming, I don't abuse my clutch, and I know how to drive. The car has 13,000km on it ... most of it highway. Yesterday was a regular day except this happened:

Driving on the highway in 6th gear, at about 110km/h I had to slam on my brakes not to hit the car in front of me ... same with the driver in front, he was panic braking. The ABS went off for 3-4 cycles (skids). I did not press the clutch in because I had no time.

Do you think being in gear and locking up the axles could have affected the clutch somehow?

I'm bringing the car to the dealer tommorow anyways, I just wanted to hear your opinions.
BTW, can the dealer tell me to go F$#% off and say they won't cover a "wear and tear" item, or can I complain that at 13,000km this should not happen.
Old 12-09-2008, 05:50 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2011 F10 535i, Graphite on Oyster, ///Msport, Executive Package, XDrive

It could be the clutch delay valve (CDV) acting up. There are many posts here with respect to the CDV modification which completely changes the feel of the clutch.
Old 12-09-2008, 10:56 AM
Senior Members

Update: I went to the dealer, the shop foreman and I went out for a drive and he said its normal. He said that our clutches are "self adjusting" and they will make several adjustments through the life of the clutch. I asked him if it is possible to adjust the clutch manually and he said no. He also said that the Clutch Delay Valve (CDV) is issued on high output cars (like the M and the V8s). Does anyone know for sure if our cars have it?

Also, I've seen someone (some tuner) selling an upgrade for a valve of some sort that promisses to make clutch engagements more consistent and smoother ... anyone know?

TIA,
~Andy
Old 12-09-2008, 12:03 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 F10 535i, Graphite on Oyster, ///Msport, Executive Package, XDrive

Yes the E60 has a CDV. The modification consists of drilling out the center of the CDV to allow for less restriction on the clutch fluid giving a better clutch feel. I made the mod on my E39 and my E60 and it made the world of difference. You can purchase the modified CDV on line or do it yourself.
Old 12-09-2008, 12:41 PM
Senior Members

does anyone know any aftermarket reputable CDV supplier? I've found Riss Racing has one, but I can't find it on their website.

Also, I've noticed after driving for a day, that my clutch has a mind of its own: sometimes its soggy sometimes it engages 90% of its original feel and pick up. By replacing the CDV what kind of improvements (night and day doesn't tell me anything ) can I expect?

Thanks in advance,
Andy
Old 12-12-2008, 10:29 AM
Senior Members

Problem fixed ... i think.

So I talked to Dave from Zeckhausen and he recomended this:
Pump the clutch pedal 50 or so times when the car is off because he though I might have a bubble inside the system. After doing that, my clutch returned to normal ... back to the way it was.

However, I wonder how that bubble got in there, I don't see any visual leaks on the driveway, so I'll keep monitoring the fluid level and see what happens.

Props to Dave, great guy, thorough, and knows his stuff.
Topic closed
Old 12-12-2008, 10:59 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

As I written so many times before, I don't believe in the manual transmission
with 530d, 535i, 545i and 550i engines.

The torgue is just too much for the everyday driver.

The transmission will hold forever but not the clutch.
Old 12-12-2008, 11:59 AM
Senior Members

I completely could not disagree with you more. A manual transmission will last way longer than and auto. All of my cars with manual transmissions have lasted me through my leases without replacing anything in the tranny and clutch. Most of my cars lasted me 120,000 and more. If you look at the cost of replacing a clutch ($850 + tax for parts and labour) it will be cheaper than replacing something in an auto tranny ... and given my track record, I don't think I will be replacing anything for the next 100,000+ km.

Sorry.