E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Software, MP3 and OBC

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 01:34 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All,
Now I have the most mechanially and important work done on my car I am moving to the more technical "problems"

I have a June 2005 530D M Sport so...

What is the very latest version of the software for my car? (I use the hidden menu to check the version section)
I recently got it updated by the dealer, but want to be sure its the 'very' latest!

How I can check if the car can play MP3, what do I need to physically check and do I need it programmed?
I have a 6 CD changer in the glove.

And the OBC is not updating correctly, it shows incorrect speed and MPG and updates versy slowly, is this correct?
For example I was driving on the motorway doing 70mph, but the PBC shows 86mph and when I come to a stop it takes 2-3 minutes for the reading to drop to 0 (but it actually only goes to 1 or 2 mph).

Thanks in advance for the help.

Mark
Old 10-11-2009, 03:13 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Estoril Blue 440i GC
Model Year: 2017

I don't know what the latest software verson is.

mp3: Your car "should" be capable of playing mp3's in the dash drive (not in the changer). mp3 capability came along in 2005, but it had to be programmed into earlier cars. This would have been an option when your dealer updated your software, otherwise, it's a whole new software update, but you need to ask the dealer to activate the mp3 facility. The only way to check for mp3 functionality is to put a disc in the drive. Cars earlier than 2005 didn't have a drive capable of reading mp3's.

The speed function on the OBC is an average speed, (and mpg etc) so unless you had been doing a significantly higher speed previous to doing 70mph for your check, then there is something amiss. Check your hidden screens on the display between speedo and tacho - select the speed screen and compare it to your speedo - it should be fairly close. A reset whilst moving should result in a display of a speed pretty similar to your actual speed for a while. If you then stop, this speed will drop as your average speed will dwindle to zero after a time. The only way to get a digital readout of your actual speed is the hidden screens.

Mike
Old 10-12-2009, 12:16 AM
Members

Originally Posted by AlwynMike' post='1030034' date='Oct 12 2009, 12:13 AM
I don't know what the latest software verson is.

mp3: Your car "should" be capable of playing mp3's in the dash drive (not in the changer). mp3 capability came along in 2005, but it had to be programmed into earlier cars. This would have been an option when your dealer updated your software, otherwise, it's a whole new software update, but you need to ask the dealer to activate the mp3 facility. The only way to check for mp3 functionality is to put a disc in the drive. Cars earlier than 2005 didn't have a drive capable of reading mp3's.

The speed function on the OBC is an average speed, (and mpg etc) so unless you had been doing a significantly higher speed previous to doing 70mph for your check, then there is something amiss. Check your hidden screens on the display between speedo and tacho - select the speed screen and compare it to your speedo - it should be fairly close. A reset whilst moving should result in a display of a speed pretty similar to your actual speed for a while. If you then stop, this speed will drop as your average speed will dwindle to zero after a time. The only way to get a digital readout of your actual speed is the hidden screens.

Mike
Hi,
Thats for the reply, yes when I reset the OBC it would read 70mph (my current speed).

As for the hidden menu, i can not get to the unlock section, is there something I'm doing wrong.
I can see my version, serial etc.. but the 09 section I think it was for unlocking does not show up on my car?

Thanks.
Old 10-12-2009, 04:14 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Estoril Blue 440i GC
Model Year: 2017

It's ages since I went into the hidden display on mine, and I can't remember what it shows when you need to put in the sum of the car's VIN number. I'm hundreds of miles away from my car at the moment (on night shift too, bah!) so I can't have a play with it.

Mike