E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

So Pleased With My New Car!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2006, 12:04 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: (E60) 535D M-Sport (DMS)

Well it's hard to believe that after waving my RS6 off on Monday, i'd be quite so made up with her replacement, but i'm over the moon.

As most of you know, i've purchased a 4 month old BMW 535D M-Sport.

I was lucky to be taken out for a passenger ride in a friends last year & it's that that's had me thinking about buying one for the last few months, however being a passenger is really nothing compared to owning or driving one. I know most on here will already be more than familiar with these cars (being the E60 room), but i thought i'd post my initial thoughts.

It's hard to explain, but the power/torque/performance is just so effortless, you plant your foot & it goes like shit of a shovel, but in a non assuming way. Their is no kick in the butt, no roar from the engine (although even being a diesel the engine/zorst note is quite nice). Then their is rear wheel drive what fun it is powering off a roundabout or a gentle bend & even with full traction control ON, the back still slides out a few ft, before being gathered up by the cars electronics, god knows what would happen if i switched the traction off All i can say is that the performance & handling appear awesome & that's before the DMS re-map next week, which piles a further 60BHP & about 140nm of torque onto a currently very rapid machine.

Onto the looks & styling of the car & for the price, i now see nothing to match it. She looks so good in Silver Grey with black dakota leather & the M5 19" wheels are to die for (gonna be a bitch to clean though). Externally the car looks almost identical to an M5 with the exception of the little front wing grills, badging & the quad pipes, but she looks menacing yet graceful.

The Comfort seats which are an optional extra are by far the most comfortable i've ever encountered (by a long way), they adjust in a zillion ways, look great & with electrically adjustable side bolsters, are far grippier than the Recaros in my RS6.

Can't even start on the list of toys, the Head-Up Display is defo the coolest & such a trick gadget, the DVD-Nav & I-Drive are excellent, although my only criticism is that the I-Drive (even this newer version) is a little fiddly & it will take a few weeks to master fully. My mobile is fully intigrated into the car, with my address book being transfered via Bluetooth into the I-Drive so making calls on the move is both easy, funky & safe. Other trick stuff like the BMW assist which calls the emergency services automatically if my car is in an accident where any single airbag is deployed, as a GPS location signal is sent, i can also use this to request assistance for virtually anything i need like a petrol station, or hospital & BMW will send the details to the car & the Nav, taking me straight their.

All the cars mechanicals such as oil, brake pads (front & rear), coolant, filters etc. are monitored & i can view at any time their expected individual life remaining before renewal as well as servicing of course.

Sound System is slightly better than my RS6 Bose, but that's enough for me. So many options in the I-Drive like setting up a three flash turn signal (changing motorway lanes), Auto lights on, auto wipers, adjust where the heat disipates for the heated front seats (more bum less back or more back less bum), you can even set the Air-Con (via a timer on I-Drive) to come on before you arrive at your car to cool it down in the summer or heat it up in the winter. The list of gadgets & cool stuff just goes on & on.

You've probably guessed by now that i'm very very very happy with my change of vehicle & i kinda wish i'd done it a few months sooner, saving a few thousand on mods & routine maintenance for the RS6, but we all learn (sometimes)

That's about it i think. I'll do a mini report next week, as i'll have had the car for a full week & will just have encountered the DMS re-map

Picture Here:

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?act=module...album&album=658
Old 02-01-2006, 12:43 AM
Contributors

My Ride: MY RIDE is DA real .-) HAMANN 5 aka BLACK MAMBA born on 16/06/2005/delivered on 05/08/2005 as following: 530dA (steptronic), Black II (JET), leather Dakota auburn black, mapple trim, head-up display, dynamic drive, active steering, adaptive xenon headlights (auto levelling) with headlight washers, alarm, comfort seats with massage function, advanced A/C, big compartment armrest, aux-in, MP3, Logic 7, Radio PRO, CD in-dash+cd changer, power rear sunshades, rear airbags, park distance control, auto dimming folding mirrors, smoking package, shiny shadow line (individual), fold down rear seats, ski bag, sport suspension, run flats on �116-style� rims (Good Year NCT5+), cup holders, debadged, fire extinguishers, additional permanent power outlet, BMW coat hanger, trunk release button (installed by Hobi), GPS tracking device and a big thx 2 Iceman. Mods done: � Authentic HAMANN FRONT APRON Including ellipsoid fog lights Item-No.: 10 060 110 � Authentic HAMANN REAR SPOILER Item-No.: 10 060 130, � Authentic HAMANN HAMANN ALUMINIUM PEDALS For cars with manual gearbox Item-No.: 80 099 100 81,00 For cars with automatic transmission Item-No.: 80 099 120 � Authentic HAMANN FOOT REST In aluminium For left-hand drive vehicles Item No. : 80 099 122 � Authentic HAMANN HAND-BRAKE LEVER In aluminium For left- and right-hand drive cars Item No. : 80 099 216 � Authentic HAMANN Idrive of alu (sorry this is the only one in the World) but you can have it in carbon fiber , � Authentic HAMANN EXCLUSIVE FLOORMAT SET In black with HAMANN logo in silver For left-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 120 For right-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 � Authentic HAMANN COVER FOR OIL FILLER CAP In aluminium Item-No.: 80 099 117 � Authentic HAMANN SPORT REAR MUFFLER 4 TAILPIPES Sport rear muffler with four round stainless-steel tailpipes ( � 76mm ) Item-No.: 50 060 111 � Authentic HAMANN new add-on for M pack rear with diffusor for quad pipes -AVAILABLE NOW (http://forums.e60.net/index.php?act=ST&f=22&t=30630&st=0#entry332409) � ///M steering wheel w Pegasus logo (this will be also changed to three spoke sports) � ///M pack rear � HAMANN ECU upgrade 265 HP 608 Nm. most improtant: �real and working like a charm forumsbuy real LED tails and PIAA 4700k fogs!!! for HAMANN full front apron you need H3 � CustomAngels, Angel Eyes Brighter than stocks 10X, WHITE & (REd for shows). � Authentic HAMANN LIGHT-ALLOY WHEELS DESIGN EDITION RACE 20" Ultra-light forged 3-pieced light-alloy wheel, Cross-spoke-design,Spider in black, titanium, screwing,polished flange DIMENSIONS : 9.0 J x 20 FA Item No.: 91 207 315 10.5 J x 20 only RA Item No.: 91 207 625 Recommended 20" Complete Wheel Set DESIGN EDITION RACE I went with most aggressive Combination A.10 FA 9.0 J x 20 / RA 10.5 J x 20 with tires: FA 245/30 ZR 20 / RA 285/25 ZR 20 � Authentic HAMANN LOWERING KIT 4 progressive sport springs Lowering by approx. 40 mm FA, 20 mm RA Item-No.: 20 060 125 � Authentic HAMANN TIRE - PRESSURE CHECK SENSOR SYSTEM � Authentic HAMANN SIDE SILLS Item-No.: 10 060 120 � Authentic HAMANN REAL CF ROOF SPOLIER Item-No.: 10 060 235 � Authentic HAMANN AIRBAG SPORT STEERING WHEEL 3-SPOKE Three-spoke design w their SMG paddles (For assembly O.E. airbag in exchange) � Authentic HAMANN sports mirrors (all functions) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and of course !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! E60.net Clings Still to do list;-): � Our Hobi's camera system from : ww.switchchange.com). � Individual leather interior (auburn+auburn alcantara)... and drive with sheer drivin' pleasure ... until 2009/2010 F10 comes or E60 possibly a 540d V8 diesel early in 2009 badly juiced!

First let me congratulate on your choices: 535d is a beast, then for the M wheels and pack and finally the most important:

be welcomed in a our family, it is much more than 'a room' for E60

PS: very good write up, until you practice somehow roundabouts in wet conditions leave the DSC on!!!
Old 02-01-2006, 04:10 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E60 M5

Welcome and Congrats
Old 02-01-2006, 04:12 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i Titanium Silver/Black/Poplar: Steptronic, Sport, Cold Weather, Premium Sound, Comfort Seats, Sat Radio, NAV & Shades

Congrats!
Old 02-01-2006, 04:29 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Welcome and congrats on a fine choice in automobiles Also when you have a chance, maybe not here but in the "competition" forum you could do a compare and contrast to RS6.
Old 02-01-2006, 04:44 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 E60 M5/SMG (LCI) Interlagos Blue/Black Merino Aux input, sun protection glass, Bluetooth, Voice control

congrats .... welcome, and great write up...

you in the UK?

I had DMS visit me last year ... worth every penny!
Old 02-01-2006, 05:20 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by JayEll' post='232976' date='Feb 1 2006, 08:44 AM
congrats .... welcome, and great write up...

you in the UK?

I had DMS visit me last year ... worth every penny!
Cheers,

Yep, i'm based in the North West & likewise i've got DMS coming to my house to carry out the work.

Can't wait.
Old 02-01-2006, 05:21 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

I am glad that you are enjoying you car so much. I know how you feel.
Old 02-01-2006, 05:22 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by cobradav' post='232974' date='Feb 1 2006, 08:29 AM
Welcome and congrats on a fine choice in automobiles Also when you have a chance, maybe not here but in the "competition" forum you could do a compare and contrast to RS6.
Not quite a competition response, but here's what i posted over on BMWLand in answer to a question about coming from an RS6 to a 535D M-Sport.

Don't get me wrong, the RS6 is in my mind the ultimate Q car (mine was a saloon), however this comes at a hefty price.

Mine was heavily modified to 553.2BHP & 562.3lbsft of torque, giving it a top speed of 204MPH & 0-60 in 4.1secs, so to say it had Supercar beating performance would be an understatement. Basically it could out perform (in straightish lines) virtually anything on the road, with only the likes of Carrera GT, Mercedes SLR, Porsche RUF's & the Ubber 650+BHP AMG Mercs ahving an advantage, so that in itself was great fun but the RS6 even in standard form is a heavy car & that means large consumables needed replacing often.

I did track the car a few times & had her for out for a long weekend at Nurburgring, but having to replace tyres every 6-7K miles (?1000 a time), front pads about as often (?400 a time), discs all round every 10K miles (?1000 a time) & Audi's legendary high servicing costs, basically meant that with the very high fuel consumption, the car was removing cash from my pocket at an alarming rate. Add onto that the ?14K i spent on modifications (my own fault) & that adds up to some big numbers.

After thinking long & hard, i decided a wanted another Q car, but one that would not rape & pillage me financially, so the 535D M-Sport as the perfect fit. Excellent performance, more modern looking & mechanical car, more electronic wizardry, low depreciation & with mid 30's to the Gallon a non thristy mode of transport as well.

The RS6 would have been 3yrs old in November this year & i like most did not fancy owning one out of warranty & 3rd party warranty companies either charge the earth or stick big restrictions in.

To this end, i've got a fabulous car that performs beautifully (even better when DMS breathe on her next week) & i'm saving overall ?600 per month, based on running & maintaining costs alone against the RS6 & that money can go to better use eleswhere.
Old 02-01-2006, 05:46 AM
Contributors

That's one hell of an RS6 you've left behind. It makes your comments about your new 535d even more substantial. Your experiences reinforce the notion that there is a lot more to enjoy about a car than straight-ahead power. The E60 has the whole package, and that's why we are all so enthusiastic about it.

Congrats on the new ride and thanks for sharing your thoughts. Looking forward to seeing some pics.

PS. Every time I read about how much fun the 535d is, I wish we could get 'em here in the States. :thumbsdown:

Quick Reply: So Pleased With My New Car!!