E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

So I almost picked up my e60 yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 03:33 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 Sapphire Black Metallic 525i. Beige Dakota Leather, Premium package, bluetooth, BMW Assist, Xenon adaptive lights, Sirius radio

Originally Posted by BulldogE60' post='901165' date='Jun 4 2009, 05:40 PM
I read that as well but that would contradict what martini525 said and he actually spoke to a representative.

Also, while I was there the guy also mentioned that I will have a major service at 50K, 55K, 65, which will total to about $7800....what are those services? Again it was mentioned that I HAVE to do them or warranty was out the door.
cpo covered

The cpo warranty does state electrical and also a/c are covered. Since you cannot control vent function, etc, without the Idrive it is confusing to say that the radio and Nav are not covered.

I called 1800-831-1117. I am not sure if anyone can just call because they did ask for VIN, address, etc
Old 06-04-2009, 03:34 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by porsche911targa' post='901219' date='Jun 4 2009, 04:26 PM
$7,800???? I highly doubt that. You really need to find another dealer.
Yeah when he said that my g/f and I looked at each and was like, we're not signing this.

I was thinking maybe its Inspection 1 or possibly 2? When do these have to be completed?
Old 06-04-2009, 03:38 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i Monaco blue/cream beige, light poplar trim, sport, nav, premium, Logic 7, 6 speed manual My other rides: Departed: 2006 530xi Silver gray/black, anthracite maple trim, cold, sport, nav, premium, Logic 7, 6 speed steptronic, bluetooth, adaptive xenons Departed...2002 525i White/beige, 5 sp manual

Originally Posted by BulldogE60' post='901224' date='Jun 4 2009, 06:34 PM
Yeah when he said that my g/f and I looked at each and was like, we're not signing this.

I was thinking maybe its Inspection 1 or possibly 2? When do these have to be completed?
I had this conversation with my SA shortly after buying my 06 CPO, and he said for the cars with I-drive, service intervals are all based on when the I-drive says you need to do them. If there are exceptions to that, I would also like to know so that I don't miss something important as well, but my understanding was that they no longer do the arbitrary Inspection I, II, etc. as they did for the earlier model years. So...I'm truckin' along until someone tells me otherwise.
Old 06-04-2009, 03:41 PM
Members

Originally Posted by BulldogE60' post='900778' date='Jun 4 2009, 12:13 PM
VERY GOOD POINT! I am going to look at the idrive more carefully. You're right, if its a CPO, everything should be ready to go. Anything else that I should look out for on the idrive?

I know I normally drive 10K a year, but what if I decide to buy it and its so great that I do much more than 10K .

Why rely on the iDrive? Is there a reason you cant view the entire vehicle maintenance history?

If its a CPO it has more than likely bean maintained at a dealership the entire life of the vehicle and they can tell you down to the windshield wiper changes. If they can't walk you through the CPO checklist and show you the maintenance history I'd walk away.

As for the maintenance plan. I don't really see the value in it. Its about 1600 to extend it out to the end of your CPO as long as you extend prior to the expiration of the current maintenance. its about 200 more if you extend after. Basically thats about what 2 yrs of maintenance will cost you even if you change the brakes. Which I agree you should not have to do on a CPO vehicle. They should have been replaced through the certification process. And at this dealer I have my doubts as to whether they would replace them on time anyway.

I'd also be looking at another dealership anyway if this is the knowledge level of the employees working at this one.
Old 06-04-2009, 03:49 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Martin525i' post='901223' date='Jun 4 2009, 04:33 PM
cpo covered

The cpo warranty does state electrical and also a/c are covered. Since you cannot control vent function, etc, without the Idrive it is confusing to say that the radio and Nav are not covered.

I called 1800-831-1117. I am not sure if anyone can just call because they did ask for VIN, address, etc
I don't think they are open right now, I'll call tomorrow and hopefully get all other questions answered. Since I'll be talking to them, if you guys have any other Q's let me know and I'll try and get an answer for you
Old 06-04-2009, 03:50 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Originally Posted by BulldogE60' post='901224' date='Jun 4 2009, 07:34 PM

With the E60, the days of Inspection 1 and 2 are gone. The Idrive will tell you what needs to be done, but it is usually smaller increments of what Inspections 1 and 2 incurred. I think the most expensive single service may cost about $500 (from my dealer's service menu), but you will get more frequent calls for maintenance. For instance, my Idrive just announced I needed a climate filter replacement and brake fluid flush (under warranty). The climate filter used to be part of Inspections 1 and 2, but now it's a separate item.
Old 06-04-2009, 03:53 PM
Senior Members

This car buying experience seems to be a hassle and probably giving you gray hairs already....i would look at another dealership who has nothing to hide. Remember you're the buyer, you have the upper hand.
GL and post pic of your new toy.
Old 06-04-2009, 03:53 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 550i, Premium Package, Navigation, Comfort Access, L7 Sound 2004 FX35, Sports Package, Stillen CAI

Originally Posted by shaferrj' post='901230' date='Jun 4 2009, 07:41 PM
Why rely on the iDrive? Is there a reason you cant view the entire vehicle maintenance history?

If its a CPO it has more than likely bean maintained at a dealership the entire life of the vehicle and they can tell you down to the windshield wiper changes. If they can't walk you through the CPO checklist and show you the maintenance history I'd walk away.

As for the maintenance plan. I don't really see the value in it. Its about 1600 to extend it out to the end of your CPO as long as you extend prior to the expiration of the current maintenance. its about 200 more if you extend after. Basically thats about what 2 yrs of maintenance will cost you even if you change the brakes. Which I agree you should not have to do on a CPO vehicle. They should have been replaced through the certification process. And at this dealer I have my doubts as to whether they would replace them on time anyway.

I'd also be looking at another dealership anyway if this is the knowledge level of the employees working at this one.
I recently bought a 06 CPO and brought it back to a different dealer saying my brakes were making a squeak noise. That will have them do an inspection on it to see what the problem is and may end up just changing them out. I also had them replace trip pieces on the dash cause they had some slight wear spots. They claimed that the vehicle is "as-is" when I bought it, but changed them out anyways. My SA told me to bring it back between 49.8k and 49.9k to get a maintenance done cause she has some pull to get it done before it was actually due in.
Old 06-04-2009, 03:55 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 Sapphire Black Metallic 525i. Beige Dakota Leather, Premium package, bluetooth, BMW Assist, Xenon adaptive lights, Sirius radio
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by porsche911targa' post='901234' date='Jun 4 2009, 06:50 PM
With the E60 the days of Inspection 1 and 2 are gone. The Idrive will tell you what needs to be done, but it is usually smaller increments of what Inspections 1 and 2 incurred. I think the most expensive single service may cost about $500 (from my dealer's service menu), but you will get more frequent calls for maintenance. For instance, my Idrive just announced I needed a climate filter replacement and brake fluid flush (under warranty).
Contradiction here:
I am now very curious to find out if Idrive, CCC, and TCU are covered. I have called my delaership and they are going to check with service dept.
If you need to keep maintenace up to date based on what iDrive says how can they not replace the Idrive if it crashes?
Old 06-04-2009, 03:59 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i Monaco blue/cream beige, light poplar trim, sport, nav, premium, Logic 7, 6 speed manual My other rides: Departed: 2006 530xi Silver gray/black, anthracite maple trim, cold, sport, nav, premium, Logic 7, 6 speed steptronic, bluetooth, adaptive xenons Departed...2002 525i White/beige, 5 sp manual

Originally Posted by shaferrj' post='901230' date='Jun 4 2009, 06:41 PM

That's actually another good point. You really should ask to see the entire maintenance history, not only to know whether or not the vehicle has been properly maintained, but also to get an idea of how problematic the car has been (they may not give you a copy, but they can show you one). One car that I looked at had several mechanical issues documented, even though it was a relatively low mileage car. The car I purchased appeared to have none, so I felt more confident buying it, even though the mileage was higher. And if there IS no maintenance history.... :thumbsdown: obviously.

Quick Reply: So I almost picked up my e60 yesterday