E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

So I almost picked up my e60 yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 08:15 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nikko64' post='900756' date='Jun 4 2009, 08:32 AM
If you only drive 10k a year...it may not be worth it to buy the extended maintenance. Also, once you buy the car get friednly with your service advisor. They can change your brakes within 4ooo miles of when the idrive says to...but usually at the discretion of your SA...tha guy is a total douchebag and was trying to make his quota. Really, you should call BMW NA not just the dealer management...that will light a fire under his ass.
I did try to contact NA (but not to get fire under his ass) to find out more info on the cpo program, but there is not a direct line, so i submitted the form online and just waiting for their call.
Old 06-04-2009, 09:22 AM
Members

My Ride: 08' 550i

here's what i did...my car had 27k miles...it's a 08...after Negotiation...i was wondering about the service plan..they were selling it for $1695 which adds 2 years of service my car was cpo so i was covered until 2013 anyway but that didn't include maintainence...the finance person told me not to get the maintainance package because she said u can buy it later when ure close to 50k miles...she said that the sales ppl will tell u that u have to get it at signing but that's not true..she also said that BMW could in future extend their maintainance package and extend it 5 or 6 year and 100k miles...i didn't know what to do either...i figured if i'm spending this much money on the car what's $1695 extra..also the dealer could and might raise the price if u wait and get it towards the end of 50k miles...
Old 06-04-2009, 10:50 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535xi / Platinum Grey / Black leather / Step Auto / Sport / Premium / Cold weather / 18" wheels / Logic 7 / Comfort / ipod / Navigation / Fold Down Rear Seats / Rear Airbags / Sirius SAT / Spoiler / Extended Clear bra / Bluetooth. (Previously owned a 2002 sport 525I Loaded). On order: 535xi Platnium Grey with Black interior, Step Auto, Sports package, Premium package, Cold weather package, 18" wheels, Logic 7, Comfort access, ipod adapt, Navigation, Sat radio, Rear spoiler, Extended Clear coat bra.

Don't sign anything until you are 100% sure you are covered.

This is how it works:

The car is under the new car warranty from the date it was put in service until 4 years from that date or 50,000 miles. Which ever comes first.

If the car is CPO then you should get the remaining years for the new car warranty (06-will bring you to 09 assuming it was put in service in 05) and then the CPO warranty kicks in for another 2 years or 100,000 miles which ever comes first. If you plan on keeping the car then buying an extended warranty on top of your CPO warranty is a good idea because these car are extremely expensive to fix.

If I were you I would not worry about the maintenance being covered. Usually it is not on a CPO but the other major components are electric-engine-transmission the most important and expensive parts for the car.

Good luck and be vigilant when dealing with these people. Hey a little digital recorder in your pocket while discussing the terms never hurts and make sure you mention time and date in the recording.

Rick.
Old 06-04-2009, 11:32 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by slickrick' post='900950' date='Jun 4 2009, 11:50 AM
Don't sign anything until you are 100% sure you are covered.

This is how it works:

The car is under the new car warranty from the date it was put in service until 4 years from that date or 50,000 miles. Which ever comes first.

If the car is CPO then you should get the remaining years for the new car warranty (06-will bring you to 09 assuming it was put in service in 05) and then the CPO warranty kicks in for another 2 years or 100,000 miles which ever comes first. If you plan on keeping the car then buying an extended warranty on top of your CPO warranty is a good idea because these car are extremely expensive to fix.

If I were you I would not worry about the maintenance being covered. Usually it is not on a CPO but the other major components are electric-engine-transmission the most important and expensive parts for the car.

Good luck and be vigilant when dealing with these people. Hey a little digital recorder in your pocket while discussing the terms never hurts and make sure you mention time and date in the recording.

Rick.
Great idea My main concern was not the warranty as I know that a CPO will provide atleast an additional two years. What I am concerned about is if the warranty gets voided simply b/c i found a better shop to do my maintenance. I definitely will consider the extended service on top of the CPO, but am afraid that they will void it and my money will go to waste!

BTW is there a certain name for this coverage or is it just "extended coverage" how much is it and is it negotiable?
Old 06-04-2009, 11:42 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535xi / Platinum Grey / Black leather / Step Auto / Sport / Premium / Cold weather / 18" wheels / Logic 7 / Comfort / ipod / Navigation / Fold Down Rear Seats / Rear Airbags / Sirius SAT / Spoiler / Extended Clear bra / Bluetooth. (Previously owned a 2002 sport 525I Loaded). On order: 535xi Platnium Grey with Black interior, Step Auto, Sports package, Premium package, Cold weather package, 18" wheels, Logic 7, Comfort access, ipod adapt, Navigation, Sat radio, Rear spoiler, Extended Clear coat bra.

Originally Posted by BulldogE60' post='900996' date='Jun 4 2009, 03:32 PM
Great idea My main concern was not the warranty as I know that a CPO will provide atleast an additional two years. What I am concerned about is if the warranty gets voided simply b/c i found a better shop to do my maintenance. I definitely will consider the extended service on top of the CPO, but am afraid that they will void it and my money will go to waste!

BTW is there a certain name for this coverage or is it just "extended coverage" how much is it and is it negotiable?
To be honest I don't know if you can purchase an extended warranty being that the car your looking at is already extended 2 years. It does not hurt to ask and I doubt they can cancel your CPO warranty unless something foolish is done with the car and then you try and take it to them to fix the problem someone else caused you.

Oil, brakes, tires that type of maintenance only comes with new cars not CPO. The only problem you'll have is if you get your brakes done somewhere else and the brake light lights up in the dash. You'll need someone with access to the computer they use to turn the error message off. Other than that there should be no other major reason for you to take the car somewhere else other than BMW.

Rick.
Old 06-04-2009, 01:09 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 Sapphire Black Metallic 525i. Beige Dakota Leather, Premium package, bluetooth, BMW Assist, Xenon adaptive lights, Sirius radio

OP- you posted:
Powertrain warranty? That was not mentioned, but definitely would sound like something I may be interested in. I'll look more into it.

The CPO warranty covers powertrain. If you are still under the 4 yr 50,000 mile warranty everything should be covered anyway.
I called BMW NA Customer relations and was assured that the TCU and Idrive would be covered if it is faulty under CPO. Only way it would not be would be because of abuse or use of a phone that is not recommended ( as far as the TCU) and the Idrive would be covered unless you smashed the screen, poured water in it, or wore the access button down, etc- wear and tear.

Do not understand why you are even worrying about those items under Bumper to Bumper
Sounds like you have a crooked dealership................
Old 06-04-2009, 01:29 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Martin525i' post='901094' date='Jun 4 2009, 02:09 PM
OP- you posted:
Powertrain warranty? That was not mentioned, but definitely would sound like something I may be interested in. I'll look more into it.

The CPO warranty covers powertrain. If you are still under the 4 yr 50,000 mile warranty everything should be covered anyway.
I called BMW NA Customer relations and was assured that the TCU and Idrive would be covered if it is faulty under CPO. Only way it would not be would be because of abuse or use of a phone that is not recommended ( as far as the TCU) and the Idrive would be covered unless you smashed the screen, poured water in it, or wore the access button down, etc- wear and tear.

Do not understand why you are even worrying about those items under Bumper to Bumper
Sounds like you have a crooked dealership................
My fault for the misunderstanding...When I questioned the powertrain warranty, I thought it was another warranty I can get on top of the CPO.

Since you actually got to speak to somebody (would you happen to still have the number?) did you ask them about outside maintenance?

I wouldn't want to go on a limb and say the dealership is crooked, but probably the finance guy....anyways thats their problem....I am a little glad that it was brought up, now I understand it much better.
Old 06-04-2009, 01:34 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 530i, Jet Black, Tan, Premium, Steptronic

Originally Posted by Martin525i' post='900686' date='Jun 4 2009, 09:40 AM
I do not think that is correct about the Idrive and TCU not being covered by the CPO
BMW CPO Warranty not covered

Accessories
Radio/cassette player, telephone, navigation system, CD changer, or any components of those systems; non-original equipment parts, components or accessories.
Old 06-04-2009, 02:40 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by txag_530i' post='901115' date='Jun 4 2009, 02:34 PM
BMW CPO Warranty not covered

Accessories
Radio/cassette player, telephone, navigation system, CD changer, or any components of those systems; non-original equipment parts, components or accessories.
I read that as well but that would contradict what martini525 said and he actually spoke to a representative.

Also, while I was there the guy also mentioned that I will have a major service at 50K, 55K, 65, which will total to about $7800....what are those services? Again it was mentioned that I HAVE to do them or warranty was out the door.
Old 06-04-2009, 03:26 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Originally Posted by BulldogE60' post='901165' date='Jun 4 2009, 06:40 PM
I read that as well but that would contradict what martini525 said and he actually spoke to a representative.

Also, while I was there the guy also mentioned that I will have a major service at 50K, 55K, 65, which will total to about $7800....what are those services? Again it was mentioned that I HAVE to do them or warranty was out the door.
$7,800???? I highly doubt that. You really need to find another dealer.

Quick Reply: So I almost picked up my e60 yesterday