E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Snow tires or Second car?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2006, 02:18 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I never saw the snow , but I can tell you about great SUV that is cheap and reliable.
I think Hyundai "Tucson" would be great deal. but you can always buy a used X5 since alot of ppl are selling it because the new model is out soon .
Old 07-31-2006, 06:15 PM
Members

My Ride: 06 530Xi w/ M-Sport Package 07 335i Cabriolet w/ M-Sport body kit

Originally Posted by Hopco' post='317021' date='Jul 30 2006, 05:48 PM
Is it reasonable to think I could find a compromise? I loved my Michelin Pilot Sport SP2s on the M5 ? but not the 20,000 mile interval between new tires. Do you think the Pilot Sport A/S are reasonable given my circumstances ? here in Connecticut? (I probably would get Winter tires should we move to snow/ski country).

I realize one should not compare the TireRack rankings between tire types. Yet the Michelin data seem to offer a valid comparison. Both the Sport PS2s and the Sport A/S are Ultra High Performance tires. I look forward to a hearty critique from all!
In your part of the continent where temperature doesn't go very far into the extremes you can probably get away with good 4 season tires such as the Pilot Sports A/S. My bookkeeper uses them on her 540 and she doesn't seem to have problem, given that in Toronto temperature goes from 33 C in the hottest days to -20 C in the coldest days. Nonetheless she lives near downtown where they get snow off the roads so fast and use so much road salt, snow tires are absolutely needed for may be only 4 or 5 times a year. This however, does not safegurad her against those early morning icy roads but luckily she never leaves her house early. (Notice that I said snow tires, not winter tires which I believe are still need for low temperature.)

I live a little further north into the edge of the snow belt and I am more particular about my tires, particularlly becasue my wife and I both hit the road very early in the morning. In my Montana van (a.k.a. kid's bus) I use Michelin HydroEdge for the summer and Bridgestone Blizzak WS-50 in the winter. In my Audi A6 Quattro I use Goodyear F1 GS-D3 17" for the summer (I ditched the OEM Pirelli P6 Four Seasons within the first 3 months because I couldn't stand them.) and Pirelli 240 SnowSport 16" in the winter. The BMW 530Xi comes with Bridgestone Potenza 050A 18" RFT and it hasn't seen winter yet (and those tires have no chance in the winter). I still have to decide whether I should use Dunlop Winter Sport M3 17" RFT or Pirelli 240 Sottozero 18" RFT for the winter.

Yes, I built a loft in my garage just to store tires!
Old 08-01-2006, 06:56 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 535ixT � On Order: 2010 E61, Ordered 1/05, Est. Birth 3/09, Est. Delivery 4/09, Carbon Black, Cream Beige Dakota Leather, Steptronic, M-Sport Pkg., Type 135 18
Model Year: 2010

Blah:

Thanks for a very thoughtful and excellent response. I'll ditch the Goodyear's this fall and go with Michelin A/S. I am fortunate that my commute to work is from the breakfast room to the office in my house. By the time I venture out in all but the worst storms our town's road crews have cleared the roads.

BTW when I spoke of Winter Tires - I was referring to modern snow and ice tires. When I was growing up, snow tires were just knobby tires installed on the rear (driving) wheels. I used to drive my Ford Fairlane 500 ('57) most weekend winters from New Haven, CT to Stowe, VT - crazy!
Old 08-02-2006, 04:30 AM
Members

My Ride: 525i Touring 2005, Carbonblack, Nappa Naturbraun, M-pack, Comfortline, Navi Prof, Steptronic, Bi-Xenon, Eisenmann exhaust.

Originally Posted by Blah' post='316954' date='Jul 30 2006, 07:10 PM
It doesn't matter whether it is a 2 wheel drive or 4 wheel drive, you are in contact with the road surface via 4 little rubber patches, that's it. (OK, 6 or more if you drive a dualie pick-up, a big truck, or a bus). With 4 wheel drive you have more traction on the get go, but your ability to stop on slippery surfaces is no better than anybody else - front wheel drive, 2 wheel drive, or otherwise. Over-confidence and not knowing the limits of the vehicle is the reason why bone-headed SUV drivers always get into trouble first. This happens on dry road, wet road, snowy road or icy road.

For very cold weather condition you need winter tires, for very hot weather you need summer tires, period. The reason is that rubber compounds designed for summer use generally lose traction in low temperature due to excessive hardening, and those designed for winter use generally wear out very fast in hot weather because they soften up too much in the heat (that also causes poor handling). The crossover point is somewhere around 7 deg C. Even with winter tires, your traction deminishes at temperature below -30 deg C so you still have to drive with extreme care under such condition. Four seasons tires are good in the mid range, but their abilities are poor at the two temperature extremes. So unless you live somewhere where temperature never drops below 0 deg C, do yourself a favour and get dedicated tires for the summer and same for the winter. Just picture - you don't wear sandles in snow and winter boots in the summer. You need proper tires to be able to stop and to avoid losing control, regardless of how many wheels drive the vehicle and where those wheels are.
Exactly. U always need winter tires in snow, 2 wheel of 4 wheel drive.
And chosing between winter tires or a complete different car seems madness to me. Just change the tires in winter and you will be fine. I have a 2 wheel drive E61 and go to Austria every winter with winter tires and i can go up the mountain through steep icy roads, through snow like its not even there.
Snow tires are excellent, just change them frequently cause worn out snow tires wont do the job.