E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Snow tires or Second car?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2006, 01:29 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: ActiveHybrid - fully tricked out
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by AC_S5' post='315846' date='Jul 27 2006, 01:31 PM
Agreed with all of the above post regarding the area you live in.

I used to live in Toronto, Canada that is. You know the country up north and we do get a fair share of the snow during winter and I have had an E46 and driven it with and without snow tires and it does gets me around well with the snow tires.

My next ride was a Xterra with 4WD and locking diff, low range gear etc. which is good if you intend to do some serious off roading. If not than those are not the best truck to drive as they are really truck, the same case goes for those Jeep TJ or some other that's build on truck's frame. Another factor to consider is those Jeep with their ability to drop the top in the summer are not the best car to be driven in cold weather as there are cracks everywhere as you can imagine it being a convertable. Really sucks if you want to keep the heat in or wind out.

So buy a car or SUV with 4WD capability and you should be fine, or get a set of good winter tires if your area only have major snow storm 2-3 times every winter, anything that doesn't have 10-15 inches of snow I wouldn't be too worry.
I'm also from Toronto. I owned a Toyota 4 Runner before I bought my 530i. I found out that I simply couldn't get a lot for it so I kept it as my winter vehicle. I store it over the summers. I was offered less for it than the cost of snow tires 2 new rims.

Seemed like s no-brainer to me. However; my bride is less convinced.
Old 07-27-2006, 01:36 PM
Members

A subaru is a good choice... a very fun choice in snow or rain. I have an wrx STi and so far no problems with it!
Old 07-27-2006, 01:40 PM
Senior Members

Winter tires work just fine ...

Snow tires or Second car?-march_18_06___snowplow_v2_3_1.jpg
Old 07-27-2006, 02:34 PM
Contributors

My Ride: On Order as of May 6- 2007 530i Titanium Grey and Grey Leather, with Sport Package, Premium Pkg, Cold Pkg. 2006 Porsche Boxster

Ok reality check here. When it comes to snow or mother nature why is it we rush right out buy out all the bottled water and food we can eat for a month? Why do we feel we need some vehicle that can scale Mt Rushmore just incase the world goes to hell in a handbasket?

I have lived in the snowbelt by the lake in Ohio. I have lived in Michigan, Northern Virginia, Connecticut and now New Jersey. The longest I can say that I have been stranded was a few years ago when we received over 36 inches of snow. Even then the local Starbucks was closed a grand total of a day.

This past winter in New Jersey it snowed so hard that the streets were covered for hours!

Anyway, if it is that bad out, I avoid the roads due to the fact any moron with a 4X4 thinks they can drive like they do if it were a clear day and sliding all over the road.

After that long tirade I say, keep your summer tires and just don't go to work for a few hours.

I'll step off my soapbox now.

PS

I own a Jeep Wrangler. Have a generator for my home. Have a safety route and pack in case of terrorist attack.

Old 07-29-2006, 07:20 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530xiT, Sep. 2005 build, silver gray/gray/black anthracite, Steptronic, Premium, Premium Sound, NAV, PDC.
Model Year: 2006

My $0.02: 1) Subarus are great; I have a 1999 Outback, goes anywhere in snow on OEM all-season Michelins; 2) Snow tires are great; I have 4 extra OEM steel wheels for my 1982 BMW 320I; with good snows and 100 lbs of sand over the rear axle - doesn't go anywhere, but goes most places in a few inches of snow 3) this being an E60 forum and they now make 'em with awd (I have a 2006 530xiT) - I still got 4 extra wheels and snows after feeling a little insecure in last winter's snow on the stock Eagle RSAs. So maybe ... have fun with your 530 in winter even if it doesn't have awd - for $1200 you can get 4 nice alloys and speed-rated snows from Tire Rack. 4) Did you say winter was coming up soon? Where DO you live?
Old 07-30-2006, 05:49 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by nickolas_g' post='315968' date='Jul 27 2006, 06:34 PM
After that long tirade I say, keep your summer tires and just don't go to work for a few hours.
Remember there are some people out there that have jobs that require someone to be at work 24x7 rain, snow or shine.

And while there are some people that will run out to buy water before a snow storm there are the others that use their survival skills to melt a pot of snow under a sterno. And for the reality check? Most Americans have enough food in their pantry to last them a few weeks... no need to run out and buy stuff because it's the thing to do.

But you're right, most people would be better off just staying at home and taking a day off. If you can't, snow tires or even a basic Subaru will be 100% better than a heavy SUV when you're not sure how to operate that vehicle in the snow.
Old 07-30-2006, 07:16 AM
Contributors

I've lived in snow belts all of my life and my gear has run all the options mentioned: I've owned front-wheel drive cars in Albany NY (no problems), I've owned Subaru outback and 323i with snow tires (both good) in mid Atlantic region (moderate snow and sleet/ice) and the lake affect area of MI (100 inches+) and now a AWD SUV and 545i w/snows in SE Michigan. Frankly the snows tire on my BMW's handled 90% of the storms I've experienced. For the remaining 10%, I used my AWD alternative or stayed home -- in fact I guess what I'm saying is use snow tires and save yourself money by staying home on those very bad days unless your job/life situation makes that impossible. With my job, a good cell phone, blackberry, laptop with wireless internet would accomplish much of my professional needs if I stayed home. JMHO.
Old 07-30-2006, 08:31 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Arrived 3 June 2005: 2005 545i - Orient Blue, Black interior, Sport, Steptronic, Cold Weather, NAV, Sirius, Logic7, Comfort Seats, Sunshades. What a glorious ride!

My 545i Sport did just fine this past winter with its Blizzaks fitted to narrowish wheels. The upside: I got to drive the e60 all winter. The downside: ride and handling are really affected negatively by the Blizzaks. The taller, softer sidewalls mean that the car really feels every sidewind, and cornering is downright scary at first till you get used to the diminished roadholding of the Blizzaks.
Old 07-30-2006, 09:10 AM
Members

My Ride: 06 530Xi w/ M-Sport Package 07 335i Cabriolet w/ M-Sport body kit

It doesn't matter whether it is a 2 wheel drive or 4 wheel drive, you are in contact with the road surface via 4 little rubber patches, that's it. (OK, 6 or more if you drive a dualie pick-up, a big truck, or a bus). With 4 wheel drive you have more traction on the get go, but your ability to stop on slippery surfaces is no better than anybody else - front wheel drive, 2 wheel drive, or otherwise. Over-confidence and not knowing the limits of the vehicle is the reason why bone-headed SUV drivers always get into trouble first. This happens on dry road, wet road, snowy road or icy road.

For very cold weather condition you need winter tires, for very hot weather you need summer tires, period. The reason is that rubber compounds designed for summer use generally lose traction in low temperature due to excessive hardening, and those designed for winter use generally wear out very fast in hot weather because they soften up too much in the heat (that also causes poor handling). The crossover point is somewhere around 7 deg C. Even with winter tires, your traction deminishes at temperature below -30 deg C so you still have to drive with extreme care under such condition. Four seasons tires are good in the mid range, but their abilities are poor at the two temperature extremes. So unless you live somewhere where temperature never drops below 0 deg C, do yourself a favour and get dedicated tires for the summer and same for the winter. Just picture - you don't wear sandles in snow and winter boots in the summer. You need proper tires to be able to stop and to avoid losing control, regardless of how many wheels drive the vehicle and where those wheels are.
Old 07-30-2006, 01:48 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 535ixT � On Order: 2010 E61, Ordered 1/05, Est. Birth 3/09, Est. Delivery 4/09, Carbon Black, Cream Beige Dakota Leather, Steptronic, M-Sport Pkg., Type 135 18
Model Year: 2010

Ah Blah you took the words out of my mouth ? we all brake and corner with four wheels ? just some of us have 2-wheel go and others have 4-wheel go.

I too have a 530xi, but mine is a 'T'. It came with Goodyear Eagle NCT-5 (245/40-18 YR) RunFlats.

The ride is harsh, the turn-in is soft and the cornering is a bit sloppy. At first I thought it was the RunFlats and the soft regular suspension that comes with the US "Sport-Pac." (I drove a '91 M5 before.) Then I looked at the tires NCT-5s are Grand Touring tires ? not the Ultra High Performance tires I have old M5. Duh!

These tires have to go ? after our trip to Colorado next week.

What to get? At first I was going to get Summer tires and Winter tires and rims. But I am retired; I do not have to get to work each day ? and the ploughing is pretty good here in this part of Connecticut. Moreover, I am driving a Wagon, while not your father's Country Squire, it is not a hot 550-SMG-Sport.Pac Sports Machine.

Is it reasonable to think I could find a compromise? I loved my Michelin Pilot Sport SP2s on the M5 ? but not the 20,000 mile interval between new tires. Do you think the Pilot Sport A/S are reasonable given my circumstances ? here in Connecticut? (I probably would get Winter tires should we move to snow/ski country). Here are some tables:

Snow tires or Second car?-michelin_comparo.jpg

Snow tires or Second car?-the_tire_rack___tire_comparisons___15_copy.jpg

I realize one should not compare the TireRack rankings between tire types. Yet the Michelin data seem to offer a valid comparison. Both the Sport PS2s and the Sport A/S are Ultra High Performance tires. I look forward to a hearty critique from all!

Quick Reply: Snow tires or Second car?