E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Snow tires or Second car?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 08:06 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Ordered: 2006 530i on Oct 1st, and due Mid Nov. 6 speed Manual, Navagation, Premium pkg, Sport pkg, Cold Weather pkg, Prem. Sound Package, Titanium Silver, Black Dakota Leather, Dark Poplar wood. 18" 7 Spoke wheels (style 123), euro reflectors, Sat Radio installed.

Hi All,

As the winter and fall approach, I am considering buying a 4x4. What is a good vehicle in the 4x4 category and 15,000- 20,000 range for price.

Used, new. What are people's feelings. I was lookign at a base Wrangler. Or a Liberty. Stay away from jeep? Go Honda Passport of Element root? I know everything there is to know about BMW's leasing and options ect, but i am green about SUV's.

X3 is too expensive, so its out (and obvious choice though as i like the looks of it).

please give any ideas if i should do snows or buy a SUV.

thanks,

JK
Old 07-26-2006, 08:26 AM
Senior Members

I would say it would depend on where you live and how much snow you get. A good cheap Jeep will go a long way for a winter vehicle. An TJ (Wrangler) or KJ (Liberty) will do well. If you're new to SUVs I would look for something with full time AWD but with a locking center differential. I think Jeep offers a setup like that in the JGC (command trac?). They may also offer a similar setup on the Liberty. The TJ Wrangler will be only a part time 4x4 but it's still a good option, just stay away from the used YJ (square headlight wrangler) unless you know what you're looking for. They can make good vehicles but don't sell as well and have a more harsh ride with the leaf spring suspension. I would also take a little time to learn how 4wd works. A great place to start is at http://www.bb4wa.com and do some reading at that site. Bill Burke is a great guy and really knows his stuff.

A light weight vehicle will do better in the snow. You might also consider Subaru. If you live in an area with only mild snow then the tires might be a better route unless you have a need to a second vehicle. But despite living in VA I go the 4x4 route because I also use it for other things and don't want to risk having someone plow into my E60 in the winter. My wife and I also have jobs that require us to get to work regardless of the snow.
Old 07-26-2006, 08:28 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 07 BMW 525i Premium Package, Xenon Lighting Package, manual Transmission. Titanium Grey, 20% Tint around the back, 70% V-Kool on front. Planned mods: Style 71 wheels with Toyo Proxy 4 tires, Sachs suspension upgrade, upgraded stereo, and many more to come.

Originally Posted by jk479' post='315325' date='Jul 26 2006, 09:06 AM
Hi All,

As the winter and fall approach, I am considering buying a 4x4. What is a good vehicle in the 4x4 category and 15,000- 20,000 range for price.

Used, new. What are people's feelings. I was lookign at a base Wrangler. Or a Liberty. Stay away from jeep? Go Honda Passport of Element root? I know everything there is to know about BMW's leasing and options ect, but i am green about SUV's.

X3 is too expensive, so its out (and obvious choice though as i like the looks of it).

please give any ideas if i should do snows or buy a SUV.

thanks,

JK
How about a Subaru? a slightly used WRX would sounds fun.
I got the Jeep Liberty as a rental car when I bought my car in for the steering sensor.
It got 12k miles on it, and i don't like it... It rides like a truck and the engine is very noisy. I think part of is that it's a rental car, but my 120k miles accord rides alot better and mot as noisy.
How about Rav4 and CRV?
Old 07-26-2006, 10:38 AM
Members

My Ride: 750Li;CLK63 Black Series (Retired);

I think it would be wiser to put 20k down and finance the rest to get at least a 30-35k range 4x4. 15~20k 4x4s are what you get for the price my friend. I still have my Kia Sorento (26k) from college and it was great at first, but later the problems started to surface. Not much transmission and engine problems, but little problems such as faulty buttons started to pop out of it's place and the engine now makes a scouring noise during start-ups. I pretty much had it with cheap cars, I mean it is what it is...a cheap car. I am currently deciding between the new MDX that will be out soon or the lexus GX470.
Old 07-26-2006, 12:08 PM
Members

My Ride: Ordered: 2006 530i on Oct 1st, and due Mid Nov. 6 speed Manual, Navagation, Premium pkg, Sport pkg, Cold Weather pkg, Prem. Sound Package, Titanium Silver, Black Dakota Leather, Dark Poplar wood. 18" 7 Spoke wheels (style 123), euro reflectors, Sat Radio installed.

Originally Posted by largeface' post='315386' date='Jul 26 2006, 02:38 PM
I think it would be wiser to put 20k down and finance the rest to get at least a 30-35k range 4x4. 15~20k 4x4s are what you get for the price my friend. I still have my Kia Sorento (26k) from college and it was great at first, but later the problems started to surface. Not much transmission and engine problems, but little problems such as faulty buttons started to pop out of it's place and the engine now makes a scouring noise during start-ups. I pretty much had it with cheap cars, I mean it is what it is...a cheap car. I am currently deciding between the new MDX that will be out soon or the lexus GX470.

By the way, thanks to all that have given me good advice. I might look into subaru for the all wheel drive one of you talked about.

I unfortunatly am using this as a tax write off for business purposes, and want to stay in the 15- 20 range for cash flow and tax purposes. If I was buying a 30,000, i agree the rx 350 or what ever is a better car.

For the money in the 15,000 would a new RAV be nice...although they are 25000 aren't they.

I am very interested in this 2007 wrangler. But i need to drive one first to knwo what i am getting into :0)

fyi i have a 2006 530i sport with all the toys...nav, CWP, Logic 7 ect... 535i awd...hmmmm maybe in my future...
Old 07-26-2006, 01:35 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 525Xi Build: Sep 2005 Del: May 2006 Ti Silver | Black | Premium Pkg. | Cold Weath. | Step | Xenon Adapt.

It definitely depends on where you live and your conditions. I'm not a fan of SUV's, and my A4 quattro never let me down in some deep PA snows. In KC, I probably could almost get buy with a regular e60 and no snow tires, but I got a good deal on my car and stayed with AWD. And if I start to worry the conditions are too dangerous for others that might hit my baby, I'll just reclaim the A4 from my daughter for the day.

In fact, a used A4 might be easier to find the a used WRX. Other Subie models will get you through the snow if that's the main criterion. And if you want some utility with the AWD, again, I think the used A4 or A6 Avant is very nice.
Old 07-26-2006, 08:15 PM
Members

My Ride: '04 525i, sport package & all the other goodies included

Snow tires seem like a reasonable alternative.
Old 07-26-2006, 09:03 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Clearly we need to know where you live before giving you a definitive answer but I'm willing to bet that you'll be fine with four dedicated snow tires unless you live in a major snowy climate.

In Western PA, we can get some moderate accumulations and every BMW I've owned since 1989 has gotten me around quite nicely except in major snowstorms. The E60 isn't a Jeep but even without the all-wheel drive model, you'll be surprised at how well it goes with good snow tires...
Old 07-27-2006, 09:31 AM
Contributors

My Ride: In a place where the Mercedes density is the highest in the world (no. of MB per square kilometer) I choose a Bimmer, why? because of one thing "The Ultimate Driving Experience" My Ride: 523i Steptronic, Silver Grey Exterior, Black Interior with Black Dakota Leather and Maple Wood Trim. Chrome Grill, Style 123 rim, Airbags everywhere, PDC, Rain sensor, Auto lights, Moveable front armrest, Advance Climate Control, Glass Sunroof, Auto dimming interior and exterior mirror with foldable functions, Extended Lights package, 6 CD changer in glove box, Power seats with memory, Power adjustable steering wheel, Power rear sunblinds. Add ons: 123 wheels, chrome grill, K&N Hi flow filter, Eibach Pro Kit, e60.net decal and 24,000km Past rides: 2001 Nissan Xterra SE 1999 E39 523i 1999 E46 323i 1996 Acura Integra LS

Agreed with all of the above post regarding the area you live in.

I used to live in Toronto, Canada that is. You know the country up north and we do get a fair share of the snow during winter and I have had an E46 and driven it with and without snow tires and it does gets me around well with the snow tires.

My next ride was a Xterra with 4WD and locking diff, low range gear etc. which is good if you intend to do some serious off roading. If not than those are not the best truck to drive as they are really truck, the same case goes for those Jeep TJ or some other that's build on truck's frame. Another factor to consider is those Jeep with their ability to drop the top in the summer are not the best car to be driven in cold weather as there are cracks everywhere as you can imagine it being a convertable. Really sucks if you want to keep the heat in or wind out.

So buy a car or SUV with 4WD capability and you should be fine, or get a set of good winter tires if your area only have major snow storm 2-3 times every winter, anything that doesn't have 10-15 inches of snow I wouldn't be too worry.
Old 07-27-2006, 12:20 PM
Contributors

I must say I live in Cleveland Ohio , long bad winters lot's-O-snow , my 545i with 4 good snow tires has done well for two winters.

Rural area's may need SUV's , but city driving in the snow belt with a E 60 and snows is about as good as it gets.

DR.Z

Quick Reply: Snow tires or Second car?