E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Snow tires for LCI 2008 550i mit Sportpaket

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 09:35 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Current Ride: 2006 E46 325CI 5SP Manual Options: ZSP, Xenon Pkg, HK Sound

Originally Posted by iversonm' post='461894' date='Aug 23 2007, 08:32 PM
My rationalization for getting them was as follows. I live 2.4 miles from my business, on an island about 1/4 the size of Manhattan. It's a bedroom community with a total of 2 traffic lights. I don't need to contend with rush hour, or need to be able to commute in all conditions, but only get home exercising reasonable caution.

Southeast Michigan is not very snowy, averaging 35-45 inches a year or so in the form of 4 or 5 significant events. Unlike Buffalo or Cleveland (75-150 inches per year) we're on the west side of the lake, so lake effect snow is rare. I also live in the warmest region along Lake Erie, and see much less snow than the northern suburbs.

I found the Pirelli's to perform very well in cold, dry conditions, but struggle in more than a dusting of snow. The tread pattern combined with the wide widths made the car immobile in snow, and only marginally better than summer tires.

My biggest obstacle was the street I live on. As a minor street, it is generally plowed 12 hours after a snowfall, and they never salt the street. So, I found the last 1000 feet to my house to be a harrowing experience, and I got stuck on a couple occasions. Even worse, in a cold snap, packed snow and ice would build up, making it difficult to traverse for a week or so at a time.

The LM-25s had no issues with these conditions, and outperform the X3 with all seasons.

Again, I think these tires are barely all season tires. They have a soft compound that is effective in cold weather, but are not suited to snow or ice. They would be perfect in a place like Atlanta or perhaps Washington, D.C.

My caution to you is to not think about the average condition, but the worst condition you may encounter; that's where you will have a problem.
I live in Buffalo .... but I live on the northern part of the city the worst of the snow occurs in the southtowns and southern tier as well. I have a 06 325ci right now and I have Copper Weathermasters and they where fantastic this last winter. I had Bridgestone Blizzak WS-50's on my Jetta before that.

I tell ya one thing when the October storm came that was fun... I didn't have my winters on, typically I don't have to put them on until almost thanksgiving. The stock summers on my car did not like slush and heavy wet snow at all.
Old 08-24-2007, 10:13 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Dear iversonm,

Have lived in MI (class of '79, BHS) but most of the time overhere.
I would say I've seen some winters.

My sign tells you what tyres my car have, but for 17" or 18" winters go for Nokian.

Nokian RSi's are Finnish engineered tyres, therefore they are very good for shitty icy winter roads!

No matter what E60 you drive, it only runs on 4 tyres.

The chain brakes always at the weakest point and for sure at a time you least expect.
Old 08-24-2007, 05:56 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E46 330, E60 550 on order: Carbon Black/Natural Brown, 6MT.

Originally Posted by Ricracing' post='462171' date='Aug 24 2007, 02:13 PM
Dear iversonm,

Have lived in MI (class of '79, BHS) but most of the time overhere.
I would say I've seen some winters.

My sign tells you what tyres my car have, but for 17" or 18" winters go for Nokian.

Nokian RSi's are Finnish engineered tyres, therefore they are very good for shitty icy winter roads!

No matter what E60 you drive, it only runs on 4 tyres.
The chain brakes always at the weakest point and for sure at a time you least expect.
Thanks for the recommendation.
Old 08-24-2007, 06:22 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Even though I have a set of Dunlop M3's I agree that Nokian snow tyres are fantastic. Actually, I tried to get Nokians for my 2004 E60 but back then, they didn't come in the size I needed so my local Nokian dealer simply said "Sorry, I can't help you out, you might as well get something from the Tire Rack."