E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Smoooth Driving

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 12:15 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To start, please keep up the good work on this forum. Thanks to you guys for the information - you guys know more that the BM dealerships.

Here's my experience. I bought a used E60 late 2003 registration 530D Auto. I quickly noticed the transmission slam problem and at the time thought it was a doggy gear box and that it was going to cost ?00000! The SatNav head unit would not play MP3, and the Bluetooth with a 3G iPhone wasn't very good. When I called any one they said they could hardly hear me. I tried a Nokia and the volume was just as bad.

I called a number of dealers and they all had different ideas to the same problem! "The transmission slam was due to a defective valve", "the iPhone is not compatible", and "it's not possible to play MP3 on my model and its all rubbish on the net that you can", were some of the comments.

I finally chose the safe option and pursued the Bluetooth fault. First they swopped out the mic's, that had not effect! I found that applying pressure to the facia where the mic is located improved the volume. So I'm thinking that this must move the mic to a different position. I'm going to remove the facia myself and mod it to change the angle of the mic.

I then asked for them to upgrade the CIP, which they happily opted for. My only concern was that a couple of dealers said that if any control module fails during the programming I would have to pay for them! The Service Manager said that the last failure cost the owner ?1800 to get the car back on top of the programming ?200!

Anyway my car failed 3 times, each 13 hours!!! The car was away for 3 days. The air bag controller failed, but they replaced it FREE, a second controller failed but I've to find out which one and that was also replaced for FREE. I think they were feeling guilty for having the car for so long and not giving me a replacement car.

Once I got the car back it was smooth as silk. No more slamming, the gear shitfs were even smoother. The Bluetooth volume did not improve, but the integration has improved, I now see the Name and Number of the incoming call.

I now have MP3, I tested an "MP3" DVD and that worked to my surprise and that's great I've got 2 DVD's with masses of MP3!

The software upgrade was from 11.2 to 31.1

I recommend a software upgrade, after 6 months of disappointment I'm now well pleased. Now driving with a big grin, in my beemer!

Thanks to all the info on this site.
Old 03-30-2009, 12:17 PM
Contributors

nice to hear on your success storyy this forum is the shiznet lol
Old 03-30-2009, 12:18 PM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Originally Posted by porche944' post='830886' date='Mar 30 2009, 04:15 PM
To start, please keep up the good work on this forum. Thanks to you guys for the information - you guys know more that the BM dealerships.

Here's my experience. I bought a used E60 late 2003 registration 530D Auto. I quickly noticed the transmission slam problem and at the time thought it was a doggy gear box and that it was going to cost ?00000! The SatNav head unit would not play MP3, and the Bluetooth with a 3G iPhone wasn't very good. When I called any one they said they could hardly hear me. I tried a Nokia and the volume was just as bad.

I called a number of dealers and they all had different ideas to the same problem! "The transmission slam was due to a defective valve", "the iPhone is not compatible", and "it's not possible to play MP3 on my model and its all rubbish on the net that you can", were some of the comments.

I finally chose the safe option and pursued the Bluetooth fault. First they swopped out the mic's, that had not effect! I found that applying pressure to the facia where the mic is located improved the volume. So I'm thinking that this must move the mic to a different position. I'm going to remove the facia myself and mod it to change the angle of the mic.

I then asked for them to upgrade the CIP, which they happily opted for. My only concern was that a couple of dealers said that if any control module fails during the programming I would have to pay for them! The Service Manager said that the last failure cost the owner ?1800 to get the car back on top of the programming ?200!

Anyway my car failed 3 times, each 13 hours!!! The car was away for 3 days. The air bag controller failed, but they replaced it FREE, a second controller failed but I've to find out which one and that was also replaced for FREE. I think they were feeling guilty for having the car for so long and not giving me a replacement car.

Once I got the car back it was smooth as silk. No more slamming, the gear shitfs were even smoother. The Bluetooth volume did not improve, but the integration has improved, I now see the Name and Number of the incoming call.

I now have MP3, I tested an "MP3" DVD and that worked to my surprise and that's great I've got 2 DVD's with masses of MP3!

I recommend a software upgrade, after 6 months of disappointment I'm now well pleased. Now driving with a big grin, in my beemer!

Glad you are enjoying the car
Old 03-30-2009, 12:26 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 530i. Purchased 6/28/07. Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Dark Poplar Trim, Steptronic, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, Bluetooth, Adaptive Control Xenons. 10/30/07 Added OEM 124s with 245/40/18 & 275/35/18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires. Installed red Cal Covers� from BavAuto. 11/21/07 Added OEM all-weather floor mats (for winter, carpet in summer) and coat rack. 6/26/08 installed M5-style rear spoiler. 6/30/08 put on red reflectors. 8/22/08 Euro turn signal stickers applied. 3/20/09 Installed Shadowline Trim. 3/27/09 Added Matte Black Kidney Grilles from Trinity. 4/03/09 Installed Bimmian Shadow Matte Black 530i Badges. 4/04/09 Installed LED license plate lights from Trinity. 5/01/09 Installed Brabus Interior LED Kit and White Angel Eyes. 5/02/09 Put in Brabus 6K Fogs. 5/14/09 Removed charcoal filter. 5/15/09 Installed light smoke LED side marker lamps from Trinity. 5/21/09 Sprint Booster. 6/12/09 Painted exhaust tips flat black. 6/13/09 Pulled red Cal Covers and painted calipers low gloss black. 6/27/09 RPI Ram Air Scoop from Trinity. 8/15/09 Installed Brabus's silver invisibulbs front and rear. 9/24/09 Installed R-Dash license plate LEDs from Brabaus (John).

Glad it all finally worked for you.
Old 03-30-2009, 04:38 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i sport

Interesting story...giving me motivation to make my appointment to get my eyebrow led's turned on....someone want to remind me why this is off again?
Old 03-30-2009, 11:15 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by porche944' post='830886' date='Mar 30 2009, 04:15 PM

you will be happier with MTECH/166/QUAD
Old 03-31-2009, 05:54 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Ellicit' post='831492' date='Mar 31 2009, 02:15 AM
you will be happier with MTECH/166/QUAD
Nice Car!

I have a friend that can fit custom stainless steel Exhaust systems, I just need the M Sport rear bumper at a good price.