E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Smokers or non smokers?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2006, 06:37 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

A question of the utmost importance - NOT!

I've just ordered a new 520d SE with a decent amount of kit including the smokers pack. Even though I don't smoke (hate the drug - but thats another discussion ), a dealer persuaded me that it wasn't worth the non smokers pack as all I'd get is a plastic bung instead of the lighter. I was also thinking if I ended up selling my E60 privately - what if the person buying is a smoker? It would be clear to a non smoking buyer that it hadn't been smoked in (no burn marks, no stains, no stink, unused lighter) even though it had the smokers pack. So, have I made the right decision? Is the dealer likely to let me swap at no cost on collection if you convince me to go to a non smokers pack?
Old 03-29-2006, 06:42 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Alpine White/Biege 545i, CWP, Nav, Active Steering, Auto Step ordered 2/1/05

Originally Posted by brommy' post='261907' date='Mar 29 2006, 10:37 AM

I've just ordered a new 520d SE with a decent amount of kit including the smokers pack. Even though I don't smoke (hate the drug - but thats another discussion ), a dealer persuaded me that it wasn't worth the non smokers pack as all I'd get is a plastic bung instead of the lighter. I was also thinking if I ended up selling my E60 privately - what if the person buying is a smoker? It would be clear to a non smoking buyer that it hadn't been smoked in (no burn marks, no stains, no stink, unused lighter) even though it had the smokers pack. So, have I made the right decision? Is the dealer likely to let me swap at no cost on collection if you convince me to go to a non smokers pack?
How much did you spend for the smokers pack? One cigarette lighter is standard in the US. If you haven't spent a whole lot, it may be worth it.

I have stored my lighter in the handy dandy climate controlled compartment and I run my mobile phone charger from the outlet.
Old 03-29-2006, 06:43 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW 525d Touring; Black-Sapphire; Black Dakota Leather; Steptronic; Navigation System Business; Roofbars; Power Glass moonroof; Power seats with Driver memory, Heated front seats; PDC-Park Distance Control; Xenon Headlights with Adaptive Light Control; Radio Professional with 6 Disc CD-Charger in Glovebox;

I think you have made the right decision.
In the limit, the lighter can always be used as a power-socket for your 2nd child PSP...

And I don't know if the dealer really will give something back. Are you sure you are not buying from stock? If you know he already has a car with the pack, you might get the discount and the pack...
Old 03-29-2006, 07:17 AM
Members

The smoker's pack doesn't cost, it's merely a case of whether you want cigarette lighter in your car or not. I understand that the ash trays are also replaced with "cubby holes".

Biggest deciding factor could be whether you have young children in the car or not. Mine are old enough not to worry about it but little fingers that fiddling with lighters could be hazardous to their fingers.

I believe that the sockets still exist, the bungs can be removed to use the socket for phone/console charging.

I don't get my E60 until tomorrow, so the information above has been gained from what I've read rather than what I've experienced myself.

Mark.
Old 03-29-2006, 07:25 AM
Members

Originally Posted by SolanNo1' post='261909' date='Mar 29 2006, 04:42 PM
How much did you spend for the smokers pack? One cigarette lighter is standard in the US. If you haven't spent a whole lot, it may be worth it.

I have stored my lighter in the handy dandy climate controlled compartment and I run my mobile phone charger from the outlet.
In the UK the non smokers pack is a no cost option, if you don't specify it you get the smokers pack, again at 'no cost'. You still get the power socket with the non smokers pack but you get a bung instead of the lighter. From build week 9 2006 i.e. beginning of March you now get, as standard, two power sockets and an aux input to the radio, in the rear facing centre console.
Old 03-29-2006, 07:28 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 520d M-sport - Steptronic - Carbon Black - Auburn Leather - Mem Seat - Cup Holders - Nav Pro - Light Pack - Dim/folding mirrors - Adv Airco - PDC - Aux/in - Non-smoke pack - De-badged - Delivery Mar 31, 2006

Originally Posted by brommy' post='261907' date='Mar 29 2006, 10:37 AM

I did order the non-smoking package since this would give the elec socket anyway and I am not interested in these lighters (and doubt the re-sale value for that).
The dealer confirmed that you get more storage space, again relatively speaking cos I don't think I'll get my sportsbag in it
Old 03-29-2006, 07:29 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 520d M-sport - Steptronic - Carbon Black - Auburn Leather - Mem Seat - Cup Holders - Nav Pro - Light Pack - Dim/folding mirrors - Adv Airco - PDC - Aux/in - Non-smoke pack - De-badged - Delivery Mar 31, 2006

Originally Posted by brommy' post='261929' date='Mar 29 2006, 11:25 AM
In the UK the non smokers pack is a no cost option, if you don't specify it you get the smokers pack, again at 'no cost'. You still get the power socket with the non smokers pack but you get a bung instead of the lighter. From build week 9 2006 i.e. beginning of March you now get, as standard, two power sockets and an aux input to the radio, in the rear facing centre console.
I still want to see if you get the elec sockets in the back with Alu Cube ....
Old 03-29-2006, 08:07 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2013 535i (White with Oyster Interior. Premium Package, Navigation, Technology Pacakge, Park Distance Control, and Rear View Camera)

I prefer non-smoking. Someone mention the ash tray is different. I rather have a tray for coins.
Old 03-29-2006, 08:38 AM
Members

Does the non-smoking delete the ash tray AND the associated holder in the rear door? The result being one has a larger bin in the door. The obvious next question does anyone know the procedure to remove the rear ashtrays?
Old 04-01-2006, 01:03 PM
Members

My Ride: F11 520d white, auto, professional sat-nav with internet, variable damper control, sports steering wheel, extended lighting, retractable tow bar, wing mirrors with dimming & folding, full electric seats with memory & lumber adjustment, etc.

I would like to see if you get the power sockets in the rear, I did not and was really pi--ed when I realised that they were not included as standard as they do not come up on the options list on their own. If they are now included it brings the E60 inline with every other BMW including the Mini in the UK. As your kids get older your use those rear sockets (DVD players, Nintendo etc)

Quick Reply: Smokers or non smokers?