E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SMG vs. Manual

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2005, 04:21 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: X3 | 3.0 | 6-speed manual

So Ive decided to order a 2006 550i for ED. That gives me a little time.

Im 46 and all of my daily drivers since the age of 20 have been manual transmissions. I've driven 545's with the auto. and the manual, and there is no question that between the 2 I want the manual.

I'm intrigued by the SMG option for my 550.

Do any of you who drive SMG's regret that decision?? Were you manual transmission people prior to going SMG??

I have to at least drive an SMG before committing to it. What's the best opportunity for an SMG test drive? I'm thinking I'd have to find a dealer with some car in stock with SMG, which would be pretty rare. Maybe an M3 SMG is around. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
Bart
Old 04-08-2005, 05:09 PM

Talking

Manual,wait for a 07 550i.
Old 04-08-2005, 05:21 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i - 6 speed manual (July 04 build), silver-grey/black, sports package std equipment (18", active roll, active steering, adaptive headlights), premium sound, bluetooth enabled, folding rear seat, lumbar, 3m hood/bumper protective film, rear tint, euro reflectors.

I love my manual - old school I guess and no plans of getting a SMG. FYI, If you get the manual, change the CDV for a more positive clutch release.

I was in the same boat. From what I had researched prior to buying, it seems that the Auto people, especially those that drive in traffic love the SMG. It gives them the manual fun without the traffic hassles.

I rarely drive in heavy traffic, so this was not an issue for me.

The feedback I got from the manual guys that switched is that they like the SMG, but miss the occasional manual.

The SMG is faster with the shifts!

You just have to drive one to see what is right for you. Good luck and enjoy.
Old 04-08-2005, 05:26 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

I figure within the next 5 or 6 years BMW will stop offering manual transmissions on their larger sedans. If not, BMWNA will stop ordering them. Much like Mercedez. You can get a manual in Europe but no such luck in the US.

I plan on enjoying it while I can. Then go for SMG. The 6spd is a very sweet tranny.
Old 04-08-2005, 05:30 PM
Members

My Ride: X3 | 3.0 | 6-speed manual

Originally Posted by jsal' date='Apr 8 2005, 09:21 PM
I love my manual - old school I guess and no plans of getting a SMG.? FYI, If you get the manual, change the CDV for a more positive clutch release.

I was in the same boat.? From what I had researched prior to buying, it seems that the Auto people, especially those that drive in traffic love the SMG.? It gives them the manual fun without the traffic hassles.

I rarely drive in heavy traffic, so this was not an issue for me.

The feedback I got from the manual guys that switched is that they like the SMG, but miss the occasional manual.

The SMG is faster with the shifts!

You just have to drive one to see what is right for you.? Good luck and enjoy.
[snapback]113165[/snapback]
Yeah my X3 has that CDV and I don't like the feel.

I read all the big SMG threads, and learned a lot but don't feel any closer to figuring out how much I'd like SMG. Here in eastern Mass. my commute CAN run into some stop n go traffic. With many years of commuting in some stop n go traffic with a manual, I'm pretty used to a combination of coasting...or crawling along in 1st with no throttle (BMW's engine management system makes this particularly easy, even going up hill).

Rudy's posts extolling the virtues of SMG mentioned downshifting. I don't downshift much at all with my manuals. I drive very gently..extremely gently in fact. Heck I got 158,000+ miles out of my E36's original clutch! That's what is most intriguing to me -- whether my habit of coasting a lot (in gear, or in neutral) would be largely replaced if I go the SMG route.
Old 04-08-2005, 05:31 PM
Members

My Ride: '05 545 Sport Week 9

Originally Posted by Hormazd' date='Apr 8 2005, 06:26 PM
I figure within the next 5 or 6 years BMW will stop offering manual transmissions on their larger sedans.? If not,? BMWNA will stop ordering them.? Much like Mercedez.? You can get a manual in Europe but no such luck in the US.

I plan on enjoying it while I can.? Then go for SMG.? The 6spd is a very sweet tranny.
[snapback]113166[/snapback]
Actually SMG is more popular in Europe than here. For example on the new M5 there will be no manual offered except in the US in 06.
Old 04-08-2005, 05:32 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 Boxster, 02 IS-300, 03 MDX

I would get the SMG even though you will have to get the sport package. I drove a M3 SMG and it was so much fun! There is so much more flexibility, launch control, diffrent dettings, from comfort to full out sport. The shifts are lightning quick, you feel like a F1 driver. When you sit at a stoplight with no brakes or gas, you do not move, unlike an automatic. Go drive it, and you will understand.
Old 04-08-2005, 05:35 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Try here. almost the same question...

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=8888&hl=SMG
Old 04-08-2005, 05:47 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

The best way to learn all about the SMG is to start with the SMG FAQ thread. That thread has links to just about every related SMG thread within the last year or so. EBMCS03's link is one of them but I recommend you start at the FAQ and read it as well as the threads that are linked from there...

Here's a link to the SMG FAQ that will get you started:
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=2106

Happy reading! Let us know what you decide!
Old 04-09-2005, 09:51 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 M5 -- Exterior: Silverstone, Interior: Black. Fully Loaded. That just about sums it up! :-)

Hi Bart,

Congratulations on placing your 550i order! I plan to do the same this October -- Just waiting for all the planets to align (oh yeah, and the money!) and come together.

Not sure where you're located. I live in the Silicon Valley area. Peter Pan BMW (San Mateo, California) has a 530i w/SMG. I test drove it yesterday 'cause just like you, I *know* I want the 550i but needed to get confirmation on the SMG option. Having driven a BMW manual for 7 years now I *KNEW* I wanted to stick (no pun intended!) with the manual.

Driving an SMG was easy, and fun! I had more trouble figuring out how to turn on/off the damn turn signal indicator!

There was a time during my test drive that accidentally forgot to drop from 4th gear down to 1st as I approach a stop sign. Well, the SMG did it for me with penalizing me with any physical jerking. Cool.

I am definitely going to order the SMG when I place my order.
Cheers!

Quick Reply: SMG vs. Manual