E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

SMG vs. Manual

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2005, 04:38 AM
JDN
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I may interecede, with SMG the only way to move the car under its own power is with the accelerator. It will follow gravity when running sitting still whether in gear or neutral. IOW, it will roll in gear on a slope when running. When the engine is off, the gear will hold the car on slopes.

So if you want to crawl along in traffic, you do so by pressing the accelerator. If you give it no throttle, you aren't going anywhere that gravity wouldn't take you with a stick shift in neutral. When you are sitting still with the SMG, it is sorta like the clutch has already been released with the exception that the car may roll in gear from gravity.
Old 04-10-2005, 04:49 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Now Driving a Freakin' Prius! Was... 2004 545i | SMG | White/Black | Sport | NAV | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-down Seats | Adaptive Headlights | Cold Weather Pkg | Clear-again Bra | Mud Flaps | Bluetooth | Coat Hangar | Aux Input | All Weather Mats | 18"X8.5" BBS RK w/ Michelin Pilot Alpin's (winter) | New steering rack @ 1.2K & 17K miles| Software V.19.1 | B&B Exhaust (vrrrroooooommm!) <---Click.

Originally Posted by Bart001' date='Apr 10 2005, 06:43 AM
Rudy what is the technique with SMG for crawling along in traffic jam type traffic?? Im wondering what the SMG equivalent is of having the car in first...giving it a little clutch and gas to move it along, then immediately putting it back into neutral.?

Also, what is the? SMG equivalent of crawling along in first giving it no throttle...then just stepping on the clutch if you need to slow down...then releasing the clutch when you want to crawl along again in first.
[snapback]113609[/snapback]
No need to put it in neutral when crawling. I works much like an automatic (with the exception of the gravity thing). It is not jerky either.
Old 04-10-2005, 06:53 AM

Red face

One thing you should NOT do with an SMG is hold yourself on the hill with the gas (like you can in an automatic). Doing this is equivalent to riding the clutch and will burn out the clutch quite rapidly...
[snapback]113546[/snapback]
[/quote]

You wouldn't want to hold yourself uphill with the gas on an auto either!

Unless you like burning the auto tranny.
Old 04-10-2005, 08:40 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by hinckley' date='Apr 10 2005, 03:24 AM
I "get" that SMG can shift faster than I can, but this post exemplifies my issue with SMG, or steptronics, for that matter? --? you lose touch with the car.? I think that? with SMG it's easy to forget where you are in the shift sequence.? With a manual's more tactile interface (your hand on the stick) you always just know whether you're in 3rd or 5th.? You don't have to look anywhere.? And you'd certainly never approach a stop sign and forget to apply the clutch and downshift to 1st.?

One other thing? --? how many SMG drivers get that silly grin on their face when they've just executed a perfect 5th-to-3rd downshift??!!

Anyway, I'm a dinosaur and understand the SMG preference of others, but I'll drive a stick as long as BMW lets me.
[snapback]113608[/snapback]
I am with you.
Old 04-10-2005, 10:04 AM
JDN
Contributors

I am not convinced that the SMG shift is faster than a stick. But the good news is that you do not have to contend with the CVS slippage.
Old 04-10-2005, 10:10 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

The SMG, in sport mode, shifts faster.... without a question in my mind.

Not only does it shift faster, but it does so consistently every time.
Old 04-10-2005, 01:57 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by Guest' date='Apr 10 2005, 10:53 AM
You wouldn't want to hold yourself uphill with the gas on an auto either!

Unless you like burning the auto tranny.
[snapback]113672[/snapback]
I didn't realize that practice would hurt the slush-box. Doesn't the fluid act as a buffer and prevent damage?
Old 04-10-2005, 02:03 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2002 330CIC with Sports and Premium (Sold 4/2005) 2005 545I Black Saphire Metalic, with Black Dakota Leather, Poplar trim. Sport Package, MTech Body kit and Spoiler, HUD, Comfort Seats, Navigation, Premium sound, CWP, Heated Rear Seats, Window shades. Valentine 1 hardwired, Aux input.

I drove the manual, and felt the shift was too long. The only reason I did not get the SMG was due to my wife needing to drive it once in a while........a great while.
Old 04-10-2005, 07:25 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 Boxster, 02 IS-300, 03 MDX

I heard it shifts faster that a Ferrari. If you have every driven one of those F1 gearboxes you will know what Im talking about.
Old 04-10-2005, 07:45 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2002 330CIC with Sports and Premium (Sold 4/2005) 2005 545I Black Saphire Metalic, with Black Dakota Leather, Poplar trim. Sport Package, MTech Body kit and Spoiler, HUD, Comfort Seats, Navigation, Premium sound, CWP, Heated Rear Seats, Window shades. Valentine 1 hardwired, Aux input.

Originally Posted by PeterJoyce' date='Apr 10 2005, 08:25 PM
I heard it shifts faster that a Ferrari.? If you have every driven one of those F1 gearboxes you will know what Im talking about.
[snapback]113944[/snapback]
I have not driven a Ferrari with the F-1 gearbox, but the shift is really long. Go test one out, I did not like it, and my wife would have complained all day, every day. But she also would not have wanted to drive it. I should have thought of that, bummer.

I am going to do the Mod that Hobi discomvered. M5 steering wheel with paddles. You can add this to a steptronic. Not a true SMG, but you can drive with both hands, and shift. Should be fun.

Quick Reply: SMG vs. Manual