E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

SMG Shuddering (SMG Guys Please advise)

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2006, 07:20 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 530i R6 SMG M-Sport; Silver Gray & Gray Dakota; Comfort Seats; L7; Adaptive Xenons; Advanced A/C; BlueTooth

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='221890' date='Jan 10 2006, 05:32 AM
This is somthing new. When accelerating off slowly from a stop the car shudders. Its only shudders from about 800 to 1100 rpms and then goes away. It shudders enough to rattle some of my door panals and or stuff inside the glove box. I've tried starting off both from second gear and first gear in both normal and sports mode and in manual and automatic mode and it always shudders for a little bit. The car did not do this before. Actually sometimes it does shudder a little rarely... but not this bad... I just noticed it after taking it in for my 1 year annual oil change. Coincidence or not I'm not sure... but what do you SMG guys think? Anyone one experience this?

The shuddering isnt THAT bad but is bad enough. Its like a newbie trying to drive manual and not giving the car enough gas and or letting the clutch out too fast and like border stalling.

Seems like the clutch let up point got changed... I think it is programmable by software right?

Also it does seem like the car does not accelerate as fast anymore from a stop. In gear it still feels normal but accelerating from a stop theres less pick up. It kind of goes hand in hand... if you're borderline stalling and lugging the engine of course it wont accelerate as well as if you slip the clutch more... know what i mean?

Ideas guys?
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=12883&hl=

View this link. That's how I described my experience which was I think similar to yours. I also remeber that constant hissing sound (as with opening; hidraulic pump) was heard all the time (shut air con; music and open window). But my car showed that problem periodicaly, not all the time. I went to the dealer and no fault was found and problem never happend again.

Since hissing sound is really a hidraulic oil pump for SMG operations I think that system have been loosing "presure" somehow and had no power to press the clutch plates as it should have and due to that you don't have enough friction at lower rpm's and car is "rocking". Higher rpm, higher presure, clutch fully released and problem desapears.

Anyhow my problem desapeared and never came back so I guess this is not a help ...
Old 01-10-2006, 07:38 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='222054' date='Jan 10 2006, 06:30 AM
The only thing I can think of is just this reminder to SMG owners that you should not use the gas pedal to hold the car on a hill (like you can with an automatic.)

With an SMG, you either gas the car to move forward or use the brake to hold the car in place. Using the gas pedal to hold the car on a hill is the same as riding the clutch on an old-fashioned manual and that will result in significant clutch wear.

Oh yes of course! I know. I do as much as I can to save the car from clutch wear.

BUT even if it is clutch wear I read the SMG manual posted by Rudy and it says the computer will compensate for clutch wear so there shouldnt be shuddering...

BUT at 6700 miles I cant believe its clutch wear I know how I drive it... my MINI has like 4X as much milage and theres not a hint of clutch problems...

Will call the dealer now to schedule an appoitment.
Old 01-10-2006, 10:29 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Glad to hear you weren't riding the clutch. Keep in mind that my post was aimed at some of the SMG newbies who might not have been around the last time this issue was discussed.

Keep us posted on what the dealer finds...
Old 01-10-2006, 12:48 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

Mine shudders once in a while, like once a month, weird.
Old 01-10-2006, 12:59 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 09 E90 M3

I have had it before. Slow start or fast start.. It always happened. Seemed to me it shudders just before the clutch engages fully. Now it only happens after using Sport mode. I had a tech from the dealer ride with me - he said it's SMG "learning" ....

edit: I never ride the clutch either. acceleration assist used 5 times in 23,000 km.
Old 01-10-2006, 01:32 PM
Contributors

Does the SMG reset procedure work for the e60?

For SMGII in the e46, you bring the car to a speed of least 40 mph, shift into neutral and hold back both paddles for 5 seconds. This resets temporarily stored data for SMG and DSC. People have reported crisper shifts and a more responsive throttle after resetting SMG.
Old 01-10-2006, 01:42 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I'm betting that the reset procedure for the SMGII isn't going to work on the E60. The systems are so completely different and I don't recall seeing anything about it in the SMG technical document (SMG bible) I posted in the gallery:
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?act=module...cmd=si&img=1623
Old 01-10-2006, 01:44 PM
JDN
Contributors

I'm feeling underprivileged. 21 months and no shuddering.
Old 01-10-2006, 04:35 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by heezy545i' post='222302
I have had it before. Slow start or fast start.. It always happened. Seemed to me it shudders just before the clutch engages fully. Now it only happens after using Sport mode. I had a tech from the dealer ride with me - he said it's SMG "learning" ....

edit: I never ride the clutch either. acceleration assist used 5 times in 23,000 km.

So how did you "fix it" so it doesnt shudder all the time?

But it still shudders after using sports mode?
Old 01-10-2006, 05:57 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

I did not think the SMG was a "learning" transmission like the Steptronic.

Is it?

Quick Reply: SMG Shuddering (SMG Guys Please advise)