E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SMG Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2004, 10:26 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: On Order: 2006 525i Alpine White Auburn Interior Premium Pkg Sport Pkg Cold Weather Pkg Xenons Sunshades Sat Radio Navigation

For all those with SMG, I am curious how your remember which gear you are in. I ask only because I took the motorcycle out for a second recently, and in some situations (when I don't click all the way up to 6th gear, or shift all the way down to first), I forget which gear I am in, and I almost break my ankle trying to shift up to 6th when I am already there. There is no indicator on a bike except neutral. Does the 5 have an indicator as to which gear you are in. I know the rev "sound" can give you some idea, but I am curious if any of you have been in 6th and continued to click the steering wheel shift level trying to go higher or vise-versa going down to first. What happens when you are in 6th, and try to click up.

The benefit I see of a manual is that you can feel and see the exact gear you are in, can't say that for SMG, but then again, I haven't driven one, so I can't say. I have been riding bikes for 6 years or so, and I still fall into the "6th" trap. Also, I may be spacing out there and to many others, it may be second nature keeping track of the gears while driving.

Anyway, just thought I would ask. Thanks for reading.
Old 11-22-2004, 10:42 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW M-Power

1) When you spend big bucks for a car, they give you a gear indicator (except on manual tranny)

2) You must not have driven a 6spd manual on a BMW, there are lots of people mistaking the 2nd gear for 4th gear when downshifting from 5th . Happens ALL the time, on this costly error, although no one would admit this.

Cheers,

beewang
Old 11-22-2004, 10:49 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: MY05 545i Jet Black with Auburn interior. SMG, Logic7, Sport Package, Comfort Seats, Navigation.

Hey Aaron,

I do shift to that imaginary 7th gear all the time. I know they sell a little gear indicator display for $99 which is very helpful.

As far as SMG goes, there is a small gear indicator between the dash dials. I really wish BMW had included in the HUD but its not. That's why I didn't get HUD.

You're right about one thing, I oftenly have to check which gear I am on, because I didn't want the engine to "labor" at higher than needed gear. I am sure I'll be more comfortable and "know" which gear I am, in a month of driving.
Old 11-22-2004, 12:08 PM
Contributors

My Ride: On Order: 2006 525i Alpine White Auburn Interior Premium Pkg Sport Pkg Cold Weather Pkg Xenons Sunshades Sat Radio Navigation

beewang, are you admitting to doing this. I have only driven a BMW manual on test drives. The old 318 I had was an automatic. When I test drove, I found that when downshifting from 5th to 4th, if I just let go fo the stick for a split second, it would rest in the middle, and then I could pull down and go into 4th gear, but one time, I did try to "force" it into 4th gear, and I went into 2nd. Luckily, I wasn't going too fast, but I understand where you are coming from

speedracer, I am glad to hear that BMW has an indicator, but you are right, that would be one of the most useful displays on HUD, I would think.

I admire all those with SMG for taking on new technology and especially for sharing your thoughts on that technology here. I feel as though I need to start with the basic manual, and "put in my time" before I switch to the SMG. I think fully understanding manual driving will make you a better SMG driver. Yes I am getting a 525 which doesn't come with SMG, but even if I was getting the 545, I would start out with a manual. I have had automatics for the greater part of my life, and I feel I have been cheated. I will make up for it when I get my car. I'm planning on keeping it for a while.
Old 11-22-2004, 12:19 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW M-Power

Originally Posted by Aaron' date='Nov 22 2004, 03:08 PM
beewang, are you admitting to doing this.? I have only driven a BMW manual on test drives.? The old 318 I had was an automatic.? When I test drove, I found that when downshifting from 5th to 4th, if I just let go fo the stick for a split second, it would rest in the middle, and then I could pull down and go into 4th gear, but one time, I did try to "force" it into 4th gear, and I went into 2nd.? Luckily, I wasn't going too fast, but I understand where you are coming from
Yes I will admit that this has NEVER happen to me before. I am very careful when it comes to my cars. My philosophy has always been better safe than sorry. However, I have seen quite of few blown engine due to transmission mis-shift at my dealers' service department. I am merly telling you something that no one would discuss or admit.

cheers,

beewang
Old 11-22-2004, 01:23 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by beewang' date='Nov 22 2004, 12:42 PM
1) When you spend big bucks for a car, they give you a gear indicator (except on manual tranny)

2) You must not have driven a 6spd manual on a BMW, there are lots of people mistaking? the 2nd gear for 4th gear when downshifting from 5th . Happens ALL the time, on this costly error, although no one would admit this.

Cheers,

beewang
[snapback]59397[/snapback]
This happened to me just a few times in the first 100 miles, where I mistook 3rd for 5th. On the 545 its an easier mistake because the engine revs so effortlessly that coming from lesser cars you cannot hear or feel the change. I haven't made the mistake in the last 4900 miles. My wife has the hang of the tranny now and never misses the slot either.
Old 11-22-2004, 01:44 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by Aaron' date='Nov 22 2004, 04:08 PM
I admire all those with SMG for taking on new technology and especially for sharing your thoughts on that technology here.? I feel as though I need to start with the basic manual, and "put in my time" before I switch to the SMG.? I think fully understanding manual driving will make you a better SMG driver.
[snapback]59465[/snapback]
I think you're absolutely right. People who jump into an SMG with no experience driving a manual will most likely have a difficult time figuring everything out. I know that for me, after owning/driving nothing but manuals all my life, being able to "visualize" the shifting process that is taking place helps you to "feel" what the car is doing. I imagine developing this seat-of-the-pants "feel" enables you to adapt to the new technology much easier.
Old 11-22-2004, 09:25 PM
Contributors

Rudy,

You're right. I'll pay my dues, and then make the jump. By that time, there is no telling how refined the technology will be. Most of my "manual" time has been with a motorcycle, but I am really looking forward to shifting normally for a few (a lot) years.
Old 11-23-2004, 05:08 AM
JDN
Contributors

Originally Posted by beewang' date='Nov 22 2004, 01:42 PM
2) You must not have driven a 6spd manual on a BMW, there are lots of people mistaking? the 2nd gear for 4th gear when downshifting from 5th . Happens ALL the time, on this costly error, although no one would admit this.

Cheers,

beewang
Been there, done that -- survived. Scary stuff, especially when hot dogging it. Matter of fact, that is one of the reasons I went for SMG. 6th to 3rd always worked, thank G--. That was my favorite passing maneuver with the stick when I needed a fly by.
Old 11-23-2004, 07:26 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by beewang' date='Nov 22 2004, 11:42 AM

Cheers,

beewang
Hmm...hasn't happened to me. Maybe because I don't shift fast enough or maybe it's the fact that I rarely use 5th gear. I usually go from 4th directly to 6th, and do so now without even thinking.