E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
View Poll Results: Do you have SMG issue and get car towed?
Yes. Have SMG problem. Car got towed
14.29%
Yes. Have SMG probelm. Car not towed
14.29%
No. Don't have SMG problem
71.43%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

SMG problem since you own your car?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2005, 04:22 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2000 Miles without a problem...
Old 06-06-2005, 05:32 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550, Carbon Black Metallic, Natural Brown Dakota Leather, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades, etc. Retired - 2004 545 SMG, Black Sapphire Metallic, Auburn Dakota Leather, Cold Weather and Sports Packages, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades

I had a transmission fault at about 100 miles and had to be towed, but NOT SMG related. I now havethe slam issue, but again, not SMG related.

I would would, without a doubt, order the SMG again.!
Old 06-06-2005, 07:44 AM
Contributors

SMG is the Sheeeezy.
Old 06-06-2005, 08:22 AM
Members

My Ride: 1987 BMW M6, Black/Grey 2010 Lotus Evora Black/Black

I have 10,200 miles on it and have never had aproblem. But what a pleasure to drive!
Old 06-06-2005, 10:28 AM
Members

My Ride: 2010 550i M Sport Package - Alpine White/Blk Nasca Leather, Premium hi-fi system, Sat Radio, Nav, Cold Weather Package, Value Package, Shift Paddles, Comfort Access keyless entry, Power rear Sunshade, Front Ventilated seats, Split fold-down rear seats, Heated rear seats, Automatic high beams

Some are reporting the Slam on SMG....how can this be when it's a manual tranny with auto clutching? Don't see how it can be related to the auto tranny problem others are having.
Old 06-06-2005, 05:27 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by Mercy' date='Jun 6 2005, 10:28 AM
Some are reporting the Slam on SMG....how can this be when it's a manual tranny with auto clutching? Don't see how it can be related to the auto tranny problem others are having.
[snapback]136757[/snapback]

I think it was more when it chnages gears... like when you are slowing from 3rd to 2nd and then in the middle of engaging the clutch you gas it the car gets confused and Slams into second. ANother one is when you are slowing to a stop and do not make a complete stop the car slams into first. I had a pretty big problem with it banging from 3rd to 2nd but is now fixed with 16.x it drives wonderful!
Old 06-07-2005, 08:24 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: MY05 545i Jet Black with Auburn interior. SMG, Logic7, Sport Package, Comfort Seats, Navigation.

The software 16.x does indeed solved my so called "Slaming" problem. The software modified the clutch curve, in another words, the clutch engagement speed in relation to fuel input was revised. Keep in mind that this un-natural slamming only occurs on low-speed self downshifting from 3rd-2nd-1st. This makes slow speed manuvering a pain. OF course, the natual slamming of upshift under hard accerelation is still there, just like the stick-shift cars when torque/accerelation are abruptly interrupted by the disengagement of clutch.
Old 06-07-2005, 08:45 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550, Carbon Black Metallic, Natural Brown Dakota Leather, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades, etc. Retired - 2004 545 SMG, Black Sapphire Metallic, Auburn Dakota Leather, Cold Weather and Sports Packages, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades

Originally Posted by speedracerF4i' date='Jun 7 2005, 11:24 AM
The software 16.x does indeed solved my so called "Slaming" problem.? The software modified the clutch curve, in another words, the clutch engagement speed in relation to fuel input was revised.? Keep in mind that this un-natural slamming only occurs on low-speed self downshifting from 3rd-2nd-1st.? This makes slow speed manuvering a pain.? OF course, the natual slamming of upshift under hard accerelation is still there, just like the stick-shift cars when torque/accerelation are abruptly interrupted by the disengagement of clutch.
[snapback]137161[/snapback]

The 16.2 upgrade did not solve my problem - in fact I got slammed 2 miles out from the dealer afterthe upgrade. After a test drive with the shop foreman, he opened a PUMA case. Per Germany, I am scheduled for a complete tranny change next Monday. I alerted my SA to the new SIB that 17.X should fix the slam (posted in another thread), but no indication yet if they will postpone the replacement.
Old 06-07-2005, 10:52 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: MY05 545i Jet Black with Auburn interior. SMG, Logic7, Sport Package, Comfort Seats, Navigation.

My transmission was replaced too, at 1,500 miles. Hope it would cure your problems
Old 06-09-2005, 11:15 PM
Members

My Ride: Soon to be 2005 5-series

I received my car, after a week of being in the shop, for the 'transmission fault error' message. It turns out that the aftermarket LED light bulbs that I had for the stop lights were causing the error for the SMG. The service advisor (SA) said that the SMG control module was on the same circuit as the rear stop lights! Well, it was very confusing and weird on why BMW would do this but, they replaced my LED bulbs with the factory bulbs and it seems to have cured the problem. This is a hard one to swallow.

Also, they must of upgraded my firmware because the shifting of the SMG is silky smooth with no jerkiness that it had before. Definately an improvement.

Your thoughts.

Originally Posted by a061444' date='Jun 5 2005, 09:02 AM
I've had my 530i for about 3 months now with 3900 miles when I had a 'Transmission Fault Error' message on my I-drive screen.? It would only allow me to use the first three gears.? The engine service light also lit up at the same time.? So, I parked the car for about 30 mins, went to the store for some groceries and started the car again, this time no transmission fault error, just the engine light which remained on.

So, I took the car to the dealer, two days later and just got a call from the service dept. that my transmission control unit is defective and needs a new one.? So, its going to take another 3-4 days to receive it and another day to install.? That puts my car in the shop for about 1 week.? Meanwhile, I have the cheapest mitsubishi sedan as a loaner car because 'they were all out of dealer loaner cars.'? Also, keep in mind that here in S.California, you MUST have purchased your car from the same dealership that is servicing you car in order to receive a loaner car free of charge.? If not, you will HAVE to pay for a rental car.? I thought this was ridiculous.
[snapback]136387[/snapback]

Quick Reply: SMG problem since you own your car?