E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
View Poll Results: Do you have SMG issue and get car towed?
Yes. Have SMG problem. Car got towed
14.29%
Yes. Have SMG probelm. Car not towed
14.29%
No. Don't have SMG problem
71.43%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

SMG problem since you own your car?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2005, 12:36 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Please help me know how good or bad it is before I order my next E60.

Thanks.
Old 06-04-2005, 12:41 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

What do I vote for if I had a problem but is now fixed with software update. It never left me stranded... just Tansmission BANGS and SLAMS... but this also happes in the steptronic not SMG isolated so....

But man... when the SMG works ITS sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooo NICE AND FUN!!!! Definetly much better than steptronic IMO.
Old 06-04-2005, 12:47 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545I WHITE ON GRAY , SMG, NAV, SPORT PKG, PREM SND, COLD WTHR, STOCK CHROME, TITANIUM TINTS, EURO REFLECTORS, DEBADGED.

ORDER IT MAN I GUARANTEEEEEEEE U WONT REGRET AND IF U ADD AN AFTERMARKET EXHAUST WOWWWWWWWWWWWWW ULL BE IN HEAVEN
Old 06-04-2005, 03:42 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 530i SMG, Sport package, Premium package, L7, Xenon Headlamps, Window Shades, Rear red reflectors

Mine's in the shop right now for an SMG transmission fault. Only had three forward gears, dropped it off last Thursday, 6/2/05.
Old 06-04-2005, 07:46 PM
Contributors

Currently at 18,500 miles with SMG. No problems so far and loving it!
Old 06-05-2005, 08:02 AM
Members

My Ride: Soon to be 2005 5-series

I've had my 530i for about 3 months now with 3900 miles when I had a 'Transmission Fault Error' message on my I-drive screen. It would only allow me to use the first three gears. The engine service light also lit up at the same time. So, I parked the car for about 30 mins, went to the store for some groceries and started the car again, this time no transmission fault error, just the engine light which remained on.

So, I took the car to the dealer, two days later and just got a call from the service dept. that my transmission control unit is defective and needs a new one. So, its going to take another 3-4 days to receive it and another day to install. That puts my car in the shop for about 1 week. Meanwhile, I have the cheapest mitsubishi sedan as a loaner car because 'they were all out of dealer loaner cars.' Also, keep in mind that here in S.California, you MUST have purchased your car from the same dealership that is servicing you car in order to receive a loaner car free of charge. If not, you will HAVE to pay for a rental car. I thought this was ridiculous.
Old 06-05-2005, 08:52 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 530i SMG, Sport package, Premium package, L7, Xenon Headlamps, Window Shades, Rear red reflectors

Originally Posted by a061444' date='Jun 5 2005, 09:02 AM
I've had my 530i for about 3 months now with 3900 miles when I had a 'Transmission Fault Error' message on my I-drive screen.? It would only allow me to use the first three gears.? The engine service light also lit up at the same time.? So, I parked the car for about 30 mins, went to the store for some groceries and started the car again, this time no transmission fault error, just the engine light which remained on.

So, I took the car to the dealer, two days later and just got a call from the service dept. that my transmission control unit is defective and needs a new one.? So, its going to take another 3-4 days to receive it and another day to install.? That puts my car in the shop for about 1 week.? Meanwhile, I have the cheapest mitsubishi sedan as a loaner car because 'they were all out of dealer loaner cars.'? Also, keep in mind that here in S.California, you MUST have purchased your car from the same dealership that is servicing you car in order to receive a loaner car free of charge.? If not, you will HAVE to pay for a rental car.? I thought this was ridiculous.
[snapback]136387[/snapback]
My 530i has about 4800 miles and is also currently in a so. Cal dealer with the same problem ("Transmission Fault Error, Engine Service Light"). I wonder who is going to get a TCU first? I was fortunate enough to get a X3 loaner because I took it where I bought and they a loaner available. It must be tough to drive a Mitsubishi after having to give up your fiver. My condolences. Hopefully, we will them getting them back soon.
Old 06-05-2005, 03:01 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 09 E90 M3

I'm @ 15,000km and had a 'SMG transmission fault' pop up twice (in one trip, never restarted engine) where it changed into N by itself when I was stopped at a light. Popped the lever into N, back into 1, and no prob. Nothing's ever happened since.
Old 06-05-2005, 03:20 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

12,500 miles... and never a problem.

I love it.
Old 06-06-2005, 02:00 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 530i 6 speed

400 miles, gut towed once, had 3 problems with it. BUT I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: SMG problem since you own your car?