E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

SMG problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 12:56 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545I and a half dozen other rides

Sorry but if i were to sell to a individual I'd do everything to tell the person what is wrong with the car. But when it comes to the dealer they have people to evaluate your car, they have the resources to know all the costs required to repair the car. If they do not like your car they will just wholesale it.
Old 10-19-2010, 05:58 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the gear sign will give it away lol... just an update the cars with the dealer, bayside BMW
Old 10-20-2010, 02:02 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i SMG

ummm I might be wrong but I'll still chime in anyway.
Non M smg tranny is different than M. M smg pump is very expensive because you can't just buy the pump, you need to buy everything as they do not sell just the pump.
However, non m smg is different. You can get the smg pump repair kit.
It's a rebuilt pump. The part number is 23427571297. $333. If you contact Garry, you'll get additional 25% off(I've emailed him like a year ago and he carries this part and gave me 25% off). When I talked to indy mechanic long time ago, he told me changing the pump wouldn't be that hard, about 5-7 hrs of labor.
So, if your problem is due to the pump only, you won't spend no more than $1000.
$4000 story is for e46 M3.
Old 10-20-2010, 03:36 PM
Contributors

uheenada thanks for info... Im not sure what wrong with the car yet... I changes the relay and stuff but no luck, now its with BMW, Im hoping whatever it is, it will be taking care of thru my aftermarket warranty company, according to the SA, he had dealt with this company before and they are legit.

Its always good to know to replace a pump it will run about $1000, not $4000 ;D
Old 11-05-2010, 01:38 PM
Contributors

There's an update:

I left the car with Bayside BMW, on the 17 Oct...
I am working with this service adviser, who has NO clue what the hell is a SMG, so few days ago he tell me, I will need a clutch salve and new clutch...
bill comes out to be 2000 + tax, so I tell him to get in touch with after market warranty company, which is he does, now like I said he has no clue what an SMG... he tell them the car need a clutch slave and clutch....
now the warranty does not cover clutch, clutch slave ect... and he comes back to and tell me they will not cover this... I'M super upset, so I call the aftermarket warranty company, and they were not even aware of it being an SMG, the SA told them it was manual tranny... I told them no its an SMG, the tech support tell me yeah we cover, and tech support guys tells me, well BMW didn't tell us this was an SMG... story goes on... today he calls me and tell me he spoke to the supervisor, and once again he tells me they will not covers it... AND he gives me another amount of $3000... WTF? I call back the warranty company, and their like well, BMW keeps telling us its an manual tranny,.. so basically my SA is clueless when it comes to this SMG... so I goto BMW today, get on the phone with my warranty company, and they will send over a tech to have inspect the car on MONDAY... also willing to pay for my rental, $35 a day.

Any advice you guys can give on this and how I should go forward?
btw, the warranty company is Fidelity Warranty Services... the dealer is BMW of Bayside, SA name is Mark...

btw, wtf is a clutch slave, all it need is a pump...
Old 11-05-2010, 01:42 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but, to be truthful, it IS a manual transmission...even though it's an SMG. I hope you'll be able to convince everyone involved to warranty the work but if I were you, I wouldn't get my hopes up...
Old 11-05-2010, 02:18 PM
Contributors

Damn. All this trouble with the SMG. Making think twice about getting a M5 with SMG tranny. I have a 04 545i with SMG now and have been lucky so far.

Hope everything works out for you.
Old 11-05-2010, 03:05 PM
Contributors

@ Rudy, I hope so too, but it seems like Fidelity Warranty Services knows what SMG is.. Im praying

Yeah man if your gunning for an M5, just get a stander one... but SMG is fun... u know
Old 11-05-2010, 05:04 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by DKNewYork
Damn. All this trouble with the SMG. Making think twice about getting a M5 with SMG tranny. I have a 04 545i with SMG now and have been lucky so far.

Hope everything works out for you.
I wouldn't think twice about getting an SMG... For every one you hear that has a problem, there's probably dozens (or more) that don't have any issues. The alternative (a manual), will likely need a clutch faster than the SMG would -- unless you launch the car frequently.
Old 12-06-2010, 01:16 PM
Contributors

I got my car back 3 weeks ago, they upgraded iDrive OS... looks bit differnt... replaced the clutch, and pump... I paid all out of my pocket $3516
but I missed my car so much it didnt hurt that bad.

Quick Reply: SMG problem