E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SMG problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 02:09 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys, having some problems with my car (2004, 530i with 47K)

Now there's the problem:

I reversed my car out of my drive way, and put it in drive (drive 1) I got an error message... the car automatically goes to neutral
and I tried to get in to drive (gear 1) doesn't work... so I tune off the car, and turn it back on work fine... drove a bit...

so I tired to reverse back on to my drive way... it reverse back fine... soon as I go to gear 1, again same message appears. I restart, work fine.... just for testing I reverser again and put it on to drive... and this time it works fine.
another time I tied turn my wheels and reverses and put it to drive... again the message shows up... after few attempts... I realized every time I turn my wheels and reverse and put it back to drive, the message appears having to to restart my car... oddly if I'm revering straight backward the and put it on drive it works fine again? what you guys think the the problem is?
back story: couple of days ago, I hit a pot hole (pretty hard) and my DCS and Active Steering signs came on... WTF?... drove home... let the car rest for coupe of hrs and it went away.. never came back on... I'm wondering if its related to that in anyway?

warning attached.
Attached Thumbnails SMG  problem-photo.jpg  
Old 10-15-2010, 03:45 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i SMG, 35% Tint, LED Angel Eyes

You want the bad news first? Here it is.
This is where SMG owning an SMG car becomes scary. It could be the infamous SMG pump that is faulty. Luckily there's kit for it now you can buy so you won't have to swap the tranny. I know pretty damn scary, right?

The good news is, there are couple of other places you should check before you re-mortgage your house. There is a relay box on the passenger side of the engine compartment. In it is a salmon-colored relay that controls the functions of the SMG. It basically sends/receives different signals from modules to the pump to switch betwen gears. Lastly, there's an SMG fuse in the huge fuse panel in trunk on the battery side. If you look at the fuse diagram, it will tell you which fuse belongs to the SMG unit.

If you can still hear your SMG pump prime when the car wakes-up, I'd say the pump is ok. Check the two places for the relay and fuse. It gave me a pretty good scare once and turned out to be the fuse in the trunk. Whew.... $0.35 vs. $$$$ in getting a new pump kit.

Good luck!
Old 10-15-2010, 05:44 PM
Contributors

I think you will have to change the hydraulic pump, and the fly wheel. I had same problem and had to fix those too. It is not covered by warrenty so get ready to pay around $4k.
Old 10-15-2010, 05:57 PM
Contributors

SCARY!!!
I just checked my fuse box, SMG two fuses... they are good, I just drove about 15 miles... the car shifts just fine, I put it in auto mod, shifts fine, I drove it manual mode, shifts fine, sport mod shift quicker, and still shifts fine, it also reveres fine its only when I put the car in reverse, then take it to drive or gear 1... I get the error, and I have to restart my car? ?

I hear the SMG pump when I wake the car up...

anyone other advice?
Old 10-15-2010, 06:01 PM
Contributors

dont think even of putting the car in reverse, its gonna lock it and u wont be able to switch to neutral to start the car. You will have to tow it, im telling u man I had same problem, hopefully urs is a little bit smaller.
Old 10-15-2010, 06:07 PM
Contributors

I have an aftermarket warranty, I called them up, didnt tell them anything just want to know what it covers, and according to the service guy,
"you have the pentium package, it covers everthing" I have a package with Fidelity Warranty Services, Inc? think they will cover it?
Old 10-15-2010, 06:17 PM
Contributors

I am not sure, these parts are WT wear and tear, so I dont know usually its not covered. But best luck to you, and be careful on the roads my friend happened to me, had to push the car in a middle of intersection when ppl were honking me looking at a guy pushing his m5 its funny and embarrassing. GL !
Old 10-15-2010, 10:12 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: A Car

Before you damage more of the clutch, I suggest taking it to a professional. Go to Impressive Auto tomorrow. They are opened until 1PM I believe. Find Leo and tell him John with the M5 from this forum sent you there. He will hook up ur car to progman and diagnose it for you and give you a quote.

They are located in Maspeth, Queens right off the I-495.

718-335-0212
59-76 54th Ave
Maspeth, NY 11378
Old 10-16-2010, 09:49 AM
Contributors

Took it to them,. but he couldnt get a digonest... something is up with my car... the computer didnt communicate with his device...
he suggested I swipe out the SMG for a stander 6speed... if my aftermarket company ends up paying for a pump, its about the same cost?. But he couldn?t tell since my he couldn?t get a communication with his scanner... what you guys thin of a swap?

thanks for the info john.
Old 10-16-2010, 10:11 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: I have a 2007 Black Sapphire BMW 530i with SMG. It has the auburn interior, has PDC, Sports Package, Premium Package, rear automatic sunshades with manual side sunshades, 35% black tint, Upgraded angeleyes from Angelibrights, and Logic 7 Sound System
Model Year: 2007

a swap from the smg to a regular 6 speed would be more expensive I would think than just changing out the pump...but if you got an estimate, I would say go ahead and do it. The SMG is more costly in the long run.

Good luck and now im starting to regret getting an SMG on my 530i...I might be looking to trade in in for a reliable camry lol.

Quick Reply: SMG problem