E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

SMG Paddels

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2006, 05:41 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by my530i' post='234234' date='Feb 3 2006, 10:47 AM
Subter,
You can buy an M5 and retrofit 545 SMG pedal.
Look at circuit diagram and you'd see it doable

Can I have your M5 paddles once you retrofit the 545s to it? HECK lets just trade.. then you wont need to spend money on buying Regular production SMG Paddles...
Old 02-03-2006, 06:23 PM
Contributors

My Ride: In a place where the Mercedes density is the highest in the world (no. of MB per square kilometer) I choose a Bimmer, why? because of one thing "The Ultimate Driving Experience" My Ride: 523i Steptronic, Silver Grey Exterior, Black Interior with Black Dakota Leather and Maple Wood Trim. Chrome Grill, Style 123 rim, Airbags everywhere, PDC, Rain sensor, Auto lights, Moveable front armrest, Advance Climate Control, Glass Sunroof, Auto dimming interior and exterior mirror with foldable functions, Extended Lights package, 6 CD changer in glove box, Power seats with memory, Power adjustable steering wheel, Power rear sunblinds. Add ons: 123 wheels, chrome grill, K&N Hi flow filter, Eibach Pro Kit, e60.net decal and 24,000km Past rides: 2001 Nissan Xterra SE 1999 E39 523i 1999 E46 323i 1996 Acura Integra LS

Originally Posted by jet190rs' post='234326
Originally Posted by Rudy' post='234047' date='Feb 3 2006, 09:49 PM
[quote name='AC_S5' post='234002' date='Feb 3 2006, 05:52 AM']
I am pretty sure as I do watch F1 races. But to provide you with some insight read this.

http://www.f1technical.net/articles/30

You are right about only using it once in a race, but think about it why have two peddals to do two function when you can do it with just one. Now that's efficient.
Unless I missed it, the link you posted seems to support my theory that the left paddle downshifts and the right paddle upshifts...
I guess you did, the point of reading something is to read through the whole thing.

But if you can't spare time for that just read the third paragraph about Engine mapping, in the third line it reads "Modern Formula 1 steering wheels typically now include a clutch paddle"

The thing you read about the Left paddle for upshift and Right paddle for downshift is back in the days when Nigel Mansell is still with McLaren.
[/quote]

I read the whole thing, and the line "Modern Formula 1 steering wheels typically now include a clutch paddle" sounds like the clutch paddle is a 3rd paddle, along with the upshift and downshift paddles. It doesn't say the clutch paddle is now located where the one of the shift paddle used to be...
[/quote]

Do you watch F1 by any chance? If you do you will notice the driver only uses the right hand to shift during the race. The clutch paddle is on the left hand side and is pretty darn big to fit another paddle in that area. Again why would you use two paddle for two functions when you can do it with one.

But to end arguments, I have seen a real F1 steering wheel up close so I know what I am talking about. I just thought that since most of you are into racing you would know about the F1 steering wheel setup.

Here's a picture I took, the steering wheel from the Ferrari F2002.
Attached Thumbnails SMG Paddels-dsc00034.jpg  
Old 02-03-2006, 06:34 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by AC_S5' post='234201
Originally Posted by AC_S5' post='234002' date='Feb 3 2006, 05:52 AM
I am pretty sure as I do watch F1 races. But to provide you with some insight read this.

You are right about only using it once in a race, but think about it why have two peddals to do two function when you can do it with just one. Now that's efficient.
Unless I missed it, the link you posted seems to support my theory that the left paddle downshifts and the right paddle upshifts...
I guess you did, the point of reading something is to read through the whole thing.

But if you can't spare time for that just read the third paragraph about Engine mapping, in the third line it reads "Modern Formula 1 steering wheels typically now include a clutch paddle"

The thing you read about the Left paddle for upshift and Right paddle for downshift is back in the days when Nigel Mansell is still with McLaren.
[/quote]
Wow! Alrighty then.

I did read the whole thing, several times in fact because you seemed so convinced of your position that I figured the article would actually prove your point. Exactly where in the article does it say that on an F1 car the left paddle is used for the clutch and the right is used for both up and downshift?

It's really not that big of a deal -- it's quite possible that some F1 teams use the single-paddle shift arrangement that you are speaking of and other teams use the twin-paddle one that I was speaking of. It seems to me that there is a clear possibility that there are more than just two paddles back there so just about any combination is possible. They could have a setup like my car and still have a third paddle for the clutch, right? Again, no big deal -- at least to me.

What I do know is that after experiencing the push-pull layout on the E60 non-M car that I drive every day, I can say that for me, that's the more logical way to do it -- whether you use two hands on the wheel or not -- it just makes things simpler and more intuitive. You never have to think about it, you just get used to the concept of thumbs downshift, fingers upshift.

Everything cool?

edit: I just saw your latest post with the photo you took of the wheel. Did you happen to take one of the sign to the right that explains all the functions?

Oh, and here's a shot of a different wheel (BMW!) that clearly shows four paddles:
SMG Paddels-bmwf1.jpg
Old 02-03-2006, 06:41 PM
Contributors

My Ride: In a place where the Mercedes density is the highest in the world (no. of MB per square kilometer) I choose a Bimmer, why? because of one thing "The Ultimate Driving Experience" My Ride: 523i Steptronic, Silver Grey Exterior, Black Interior with Black Dakota Leather and Maple Wood Trim. Chrome Grill, Style 123 rim, Airbags everywhere, PDC, Rain sensor, Auto lights, Moveable front armrest, Advance Climate Control, Glass Sunroof, Auto dimming interior and exterior mirror with foldable functions, Extended Lights package, 6 CD changer in glove box, Power seats with memory, Power adjustable steering wheel, Power rear sunblinds. Add ons: 123 wheels, chrome grill, K&N Hi flow filter, Eibach Pro Kit, e60.net decal and 24,000km Past rides: 2001 Nissan Xterra SE 1999 E39 523i 1999 E46 323i 1996 Acura Integra LS

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='234480
Originally Posted by Rudy' post='234047' date='Feb 3 2006, 09:49 PM
[quote name='AC_S5' post='234002' date='Feb 3 2006, 05:52 AM']

[/quote]
Wow! Alrighty then.

I did read the whole thing, several times in fact because you seemed so convinced of your position that I figured the article would actually prove your point. Exactly where in the article does it say that on an F1 car the left paddle is used for the clutch and the right is used for both up and downshift?

It's really not that big of a deal -- it's quite possible that some F1 teams use the single-paddle shift arrangement that you are speaking of and other teams use the twin-paddle one that I was speaking of. It seems to me that there is a clear possibility that there are more than just two paddles back there so just about any combination is possible. They could have a setup like my car and still have a third paddle for the clutch, right? Again, no big deal -- at least to me.

What I do know is that after experiencing the push-pull layout on the E60 non-M car that I drive every day, I can say that for me, that's the more logical way to do it -- whether you use two hands on the wheel or not -- it just makes things simpler and more intuitive. You never have to think about it, you just get used to the concept of thumbs downshift, fingers upshift.

Everything cool?
[/quote]

Hey man I am cool sorry if you find things heated up.

I know is not important, but your point about being efficient is everything in the F1 world. If one team uses this the other would follow, of course if the change is a positive one.

The non M SMG are more efficient IMO, but for those with a M car you can still shift with one hand via the stick in the middle right? So hold your water bottle/beer can/hamburger/pizza or whatever you want and still enjoy your car

Edit: I wish I did take the shot beside the wheel that explains the functions if I know it would come in handy but oh well....
Old 02-03-2006, 06:48 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by juliann' post='234367' date='Feb 3 2006, 05:31 PM
Ummm sorry, but I have owned an M5, and I own an M3 CSL with SMG II. My point is that M cars are developed for performance - by that I mean handling, agility and speed. Consideration for 'how will I change gear whilst holding a water bottle / smoking a cigarette / picking my nose' is pretty low down the M design team list of priorities - just look at the spec of one of the highest rated M cars ever, the M3 CSL - no cupholders, no armrest, no radio, no aircon, no BT etc... but plenty of MMMMM.

Not quite sure of the racetrack relevance, except that with my experience of both tracking M cars with SMG & racing, the left / right paddle arrangement is both intuitive and helps avoid accidental shifts.

I don't pretend to be cool - I just think that if you "often drive with ...right hand holding a drink" perhaps you should concentrate more on the road - I'd like to see you taking sudden avoiding action with only one hand available...

I'm not spoiling for a fight but I think your initial post ref 'Superior paddles' was misguided and the often/drink comment was lauding recklessness.
In my opinion, the non-M car setup actually helps avoid accidental shifts -- no getting the paddles mixed up while the wheel is turned, etc. I think that's why some cars (Ferrari I think?) have the left and right paddles attached to the steering column and not the wheel. To me, that's not the best solution.

I think the "M-car philosopy" is more than just a pure-bred race car. (That's what the CSL philosophy might be but not the M5.) In my opinion, the M-car philosopy is more of a perfect blend of performance, design, and overall driving pleasure. It's a car you can drive hard on the track or drive effortlessly in traffic.

That's why they put iDrive controllers, cupholders and armrests in the standard (not CSL) M-cars...
Old 02-03-2006, 06:58 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by AC_S5' post='234487' date='Feb 3 2006, 10:41 PM
Hey man I am cool sorry if you find things heated up.

I know is not important, but your point about being efficient is everything in the F1 world. If one team uses this the other would follow, of course if the change is a positive one.

The non M SMG are more efficient IMO, but for those with a M car you can still shift with one hand via the stick in the middle right? So hold your water bottle/beer can/hamburger/pizza or whatever you want and still enjoy your car

Edit: I wish I did take the shot beside the wheel that explains the functions if I know it would come in handy but oh well....

You're right that it's all about efficiency in F1 but that's kind of why I think it makes the most sense to use a setup like our cars have. Two paddles for shifting -- each working the same way (push/pull). That way, the driver could be pressing a button with his left thumb while downshifting with his right hand or the other way around. There are so many buttons on that wheel that it really makes the most sense to give the driver options that are simple and intuitive.
Old 02-04-2006, 08:14 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='234480' date='Feb 3 2006, 08:34 PM
Oh, and here's a shot of a different wheel (BMW!) that clearly shows four paddles:
Attachment 15049

They can get away with it, because they have a Drink Button.
Old 02-04-2006, 08:30 AM
Super Moderator

Good one CR...no cupholders needed...
Old 02-04-2006, 06:01 PM
Contributors

Last season in F1, they rarely shows BMW Williams F1 shots because they are not the front runner. Well at least for the front runners it is the gear on the right setup, maybe that's why BMW finish low last season
Old 02-04-2006, 10:05 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i SMG

Don't know if anyone here would admit it...but the first few days of owning my SMG car I had several mis-ques: Flashing the headlights at the car in front of me and/or turning on my wipers instead of up-shifting!!!! ...Don't worry, I have it down now.

Quick Reply: SMG Paddels