E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

SMG Paddels

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2006, 01:52 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: In a place where the Mercedes density is the highest in the world (no. of MB per square kilometer) I choose a Bimmer, why? because of one thing "The Ultimate Driving Experience" My Ride: 523i Steptronic, Silver Grey Exterior, Black Interior with Black Dakota Leather and Maple Wood Trim. Chrome Grill, Style 123 rim, Airbags everywhere, PDC, Rain sensor, Auto lights, Moveable front armrest, Advance Climate Control, Glass Sunroof, Auto dimming interior and exterior mirror with foldable functions, Extended Lights package, 6 CD changer in glove box, Power seats with memory, Power adjustable steering wheel, Power rear sunblinds. Add ons: 123 wheels, chrome grill, K&N Hi flow filter, Eibach Pro Kit, e60.net decal and 24,000km Past rides: 2001 Nissan Xterra SE 1999 E39 523i 1999 E46 323i 1996 Acura Integra LS

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='233787
Not on a F1 car, the left side is the clutch, only the right side is used for shifting similar to the SMG on non M cars, so don't feel bad Rudy, you don't need to pay the price of the M cars and still get some racing technology, in fact the best since even F1 driver are shifting the way you are.
How sure are you of that? I think the F1 cars have more than one paddle on each side so sure, there could be a clutch paddle on the left but I thought that they had a left-hand downshift, right-hand upshift setup like most of the other paddle-shift setups. Putting only the clutch on the left would be pretty inefficient use of that space since they only need the clutch once in a while...
[/quote]

I am pretty sure as I do watch F1 races. But to provide you with some insight read this.

http://www.f1technical.net/articles/30

You are right about only using it once in a race, but think about it why have two peddals to do two function when you can do it with just one. Now that's efficient.
Old 02-03-2006, 02:58 AM
Members

My Ride: 535d Sport Tourer - E34 M5 Race Car

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' post='233719' date='Feb 2 2006, 10:10 PM
The non-M paddles are superior..... plain and simple.

Example... I often drive with my left hand on the wheel, and right hand holding a drink. On an M, this would be difficult, since the upshift is only right handed.
I guess you really don't get the point of the whole M car philosophy
Old 02-03-2006, 04:49 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by AC_S5' post='234002' date='Feb 3 2006, 05:52 AM
I am pretty sure as I do watch F1 races. But to provide you with some insight read this.

You are right about only using it once in a race, but think about it why have two peddals to do two function when you can do it with just one. Now that's efficient.
Unless I missed it, the link you posted seems to support my theory that the left paddle downshifts and the right paddle upshifts...
Old 02-03-2006, 05:02 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by juliann' post='234012
The non-M paddles are superior..... plain and simple.

Example... I often drive with my left hand on the wheel, and right hand holding a drink. On an M, this would be difficult, since the upshift is only right handed.
[/quote]
Old 02-03-2006, 09:07 AM
Contributors

My Ride: In a place where the Mercedes density is the highest in the world (no. of MB per square kilometer) I choose a Bimmer, why? because of one thing "The Ultimate Driving Experience" My Ride: 523i Steptronic, Silver Grey Exterior, Black Interior with Black Dakota Leather and Maple Wood Trim. Chrome Grill, Style 123 rim, Airbags everywhere, PDC, Rain sensor, Auto lights, Moveable front armrest, Advance Climate Control, Glass Sunroof, Auto dimming interior and exterior mirror with foldable functions, Extended Lights package, 6 CD changer in glove box, Power seats with memory, Power adjustable steering wheel, Power rear sunblinds. Add ons: 123 wheels, chrome grill, K&N Hi flow filter, Eibach Pro Kit, e60.net decal and 24,000km Past rides: 2001 Nissan Xterra SE 1999 E39 523i 1999 E46 323i 1996 Acura Integra LS

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='234047

Unless I missed it, the link you posted seems to support my theory that the left paddle downshifts and the right paddle upshifts...
[/quote]

I guess you did, the point of reading something is to read through the whole thing.

But if you can't spare time for that just read the third paragraph about Engine mapping, in the third line it reads "Modern Formula 1 steering wheels typically now include a clutch paddle"

The thing you read about the Left paddle for upshift and Right paddle for downshift is back in the days when Nigel Mansell is still with McLaren.
Old 02-03-2006, 09:35 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

Ah... bite me. I bet you have never even driven an M5.

I drove the M5 on the racetrack, and my name is on the list for one. I want a 2007 model, later this year.

I fully understand the M is a performance car.... but guess what? It's also going to be my daily driver. So forgive me if I might want to drink from a water bottle every once in a while on the drive to work in the morning, or maybe use the iDrive controller while driving.

If I prefer the SMG paddles on my 545i, well then.... all I can say is.... We can't all be as cool as you.
Old 02-03-2006, 09:47 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Subter,
You can buy an M5 and retrofit 545 SMG pedal.
Look at circuit diagram and you'd see it doable
Old 02-03-2006, 11:50 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

Originally Posted by AC_S5' post='234201
Originally Posted by AC_S5' post='234002' date='Feb 3 2006, 05:52 AM

I guess you did, the point of reading something is to read through the whole thing.

But if you can't spare time for that just read the third paragraph about Engine mapping, in the third line it reads "Modern Formula 1 steering wheels typically now include a clutch paddle"

The thing you read about the Left paddle for upshift and Right paddle for downshift is back in the days when Nigel Mansell is still with McLaren.
[/quote]

I read the whole thing, and the line "Modern Formula 1 steering wheels typically now include a clutch paddle" sounds like the clutch paddle is a 3rd paddle, along with the upshift and downshift paddles. It doesn't say the clutch paddle is now located where the one of the shift paddle used to be...
Old 02-03-2006, 01:31 PM
Members

My Ride: 535d Sport Tourer - E34 M5 Race Car

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' post='234223' date='Feb 3 2006, 06:35 PM

I drove the M5 on the racetrack, and my name is on the list for one. I want a 2007 model, later this year.

I fully understand the M is a performance car.... but guess what? It's also going to be my daily driver. So forgive me if I might want to drink from a water bottle every once in a while on the drive to work in the morning, or maybe use the iDrive controller while driving.

If I prefer the SMG paddles on my 545i, well then.... all I can say is.... We can't all be as cool as you.
Ummm sorry, but I have owned an M5, and I own an M3 CSL with SMG II. My point is that M cars are developed for performance - by that I mean handling, agility and speed. Consideration for 'how will I change gear whilst holding a water bottle / smoking a cigarette / picking my nose' is pretty low down the M design team list of priorities - just look at the spec of one of the highest rated M cars ever, the M3 CSL - no cupholders, no armrest, no radio, no aircon, no BT etc... but plenty of MMMMM.

Not quite sure of the racetrack relevance, except that with my experience of both tracking M cars with SMG & racing, the left / right paddle arrangement is both intuitive and helps avoid accidental shifts.

I don't pretend to be cool - I just think that if you "often drive with ...right hand holding a drink" perhaps you should concentrate more on the road - I'd like to see you taking sudden avoiding action with only one hand available...

I'm not spoiling for a fight but I think your initial post ref 'Superior paddles' was misguided and the often/drink comment was lauding recklessness.
Old 02-03-2006, 03:23 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by juliann' post='234367

Ummm sorry, but I have owned an M5, and I own an M3 CSL with SMG II. My point is that M cars are developed for performance - by that I mean handling, agility and speed. Consideration for 'how will I change gear whilst holding a water bottle / smoking a cigarette / picking my nose' is pretty low down the M design team list of priorities - just look at the spec of one of the highest rated M cars ever, the M3 CSL - no cupholders, no armrest, no radio, no aircon, no BT etc... but plenty of MMMMM.

Not quite sure of the racetrack relevance, except that with my experience of both tracking M cars with SMG & racing, the left / right paddle arrangement is both intuitive and helps avoid accidental shifts.

I don't pretend to be cool - I just think that if you "often drive with ...right hand holding a drink" perhaps you should concentrate more on the road - I'd like to see you taking sudden avoiding action with only one hand available...

I'm not spoiling for a fight but I think your initial post ref 'Superior paddles' was misguided and the often/drink comment was lauding recklessness.
[/quote]
I don't wana take sides in this but i have to agree with you. If u really want to drink or do stuff with your right hand then put it into automatic. Using the smg padels are ment to require more implication of the driver like when racing the car (driving it really hard that is), times when u really don't think about drinking a can of juice or smoking a cigarr.

Quick Reply: SMG Paddels