E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SMG/IDRIVE PUMA Case

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2005, 12:37 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What's up guys,

I need some input. I have an '04 530i SMG and recently brought it in for inspection 1. It's been at the dealership for 3 days now and it's probably gonna be there through the weekend. My SA told me that the problem is my car software having a glitch so it can't finish installing/updating the modules. They also said that they've opened a PUMA Case and that most likely my DME will be replaced. Anyone else have this problem before?
Old 12-10-2005, 05:01 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530xi. Deep green with beige interior. 6 speed manual. Premium package.

Whats PUMA and DME?
Old 12-10-2005, 05:32 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

It's fairly common for problems to occur when getting software updates. There's a bunch of things that need to be done "just right" or it can bomb.

Is your dealer a fairly large one? I'm wondering if this could simply be an issue of the dealer not having a lot of experience with these types of updates.

Either way they'll get it right eventually, I'll bet...
Old 12-10-2005, 05:35 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Here is probably what happened during CIP upgrade:

SI B 12 09 04
Engine Electrical December 2004
Technical Service

SUBJECT
Technical Hotline; Special DME Programming - Shipping Procedure
MODEL
All
SITUATION
In certain situations (DME crashed during SSS/DIS/GT1 programming, updated software with the corrected data not available yet for technicians), the Technical Hotline/Drivetrain performs special DME reprogramming on customer DMEs shipped to Montvale.

In order to streamline the programming process, please follow the guidelines below:

In case the DME has to be reprogrammed in Montvale (crashed, update for known software problem, etc.), contact the Technical Hotline ? Drivetrain through PUMA to obtain a contact number.

The Technical Hotline will respond via PUMA, providing you with an approval number and detailed shipping instructions, your Center Fed-Ex account number, and your current DME shipping charges (one way) to Montvale.

Ship the DME (using Fed-Ex ONLY) to:

BMW Technical Services/ Drivetrain

1 BMW Plaza

Montvale, NJ 07645

tel. 201 573 2100.

Include contact number on the return address portion of the label.

After reprogramming, the Technical Hotline will ship back the DME to your center, to the attention of the Service Manager, via Fed-Ex collect.

WARRANTY INFORMATION
On the warranty claim, submit the Fed-Ex shipping charges (double the amount provided to you by Technical ? to cover shipment both ways) in the sublet section (using sublet code 4).

Only cases with contact numbers, and only shipment through Fed-EX pre-paid, will be processed.

DME = Digital Motor Electronics

PuMA = BMW technical system for reporting problems and getting recommendation for fixes. In some cases, even problems that BMW acknowledges they will only let the dealer get a replacement part if a PuMA case is opened against teh VIN of that specific car.

It is not unheard of for DME or CCCs to fail during a software upgrade.
Old 12-10-2005, 08:19 AM
Members

Thanks guys for the response. I'm heading over to BMW to take a look at my car and make sure that the SA isn't just giving me the runaround. BTW this is SFBMW, a fairly large dealership so they should be experienced in updates. I'll post back on what's happening. Thanks Cobradav for your detailed response.