E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

This is the SMG I like!

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2006, 02:28 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545i SMG with Limited Slip Differential
Model Year: 2005

My SMG :

http://video.google.it/videoplay?docid=755...20681&hl=it

(tires screaming because they are finished)

Enjoy it!

Comparison with SMG3, that has a remarkable lag between shifting impulse and effective shifting (see the S5 mode) .

http://video.google.it/videoplay?docid=249...5+smg&hl=it

Imho if it will be possible to remap the SMG ... It will be almost a Cambiocorsa :-) .

(f@ck the SMG3 that it's broken of every 10k kms and after 3 LC it needs a checkup!)

(Yes Rudy, I think to have the suitable man : it works on ECUs for Ferrari* and I think he can do a call to Magneti Marelli)

With the remap now my 5 have a regular distribution from 1500 rpm to 6500, wonderfull, while the stock was a shit, with torque peaks at 2000 and at 4000 rpm and turned off over the 5500-6000 rpm .
Old 09-04-2006, 06:24 AM
Senior Members

Why didn't you or somebody else shot the video for us to see your gearchange and the delay to compare it to s5?
Anyway i like how the M5 shifts in S6! Spot on.
Do you think the non-M smg shifts faster than the smg3?
Old 09-04-2006, 07:07 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='330638' date='Sep 4 2006, 04:24 PM
Why didn't you or somebody else shot the video for us to see your gearchange and the delay to compare it to s5?
Ehm ... I know it is sad drive a steptronic, but please, don't be so envious ..

Anyway i like how the M5 shifts in S6! Spot on.
Yes, I like the F599 too .

S6 ? Get an M5, use the S6 and we will see how long you will use it .
Ah, don't forget to do a pair of LC
Then you can take your M5 and put her near the rubbish .

Do you think the non-M smg shifts faster than the smg3?
Who has told that ?
I think that SMG1 can be fast as S5 smg3 mode but for 100k km .

PS :
This thread was especially for SMG owners, to show how fast can be our SMG .
Old 09-04-2006, 09:43 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Hummm I dont see that much difference between the S1 and S5. to me it seems like S5 is close to my 545 Sport mode shifting... I even want to say that the 545s sport mode is like in between S5 and S6 and 545's non sport mode is like S1 on the M5.

Cuz when I shift in Sports in the higher revs its pretty quick.
Old 09-04-2006, 10:24 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by AlexFW' post='330646' date='Sep 4 2006, 06:07 PM
Ehm ... I know it is sad drive a steptronic, but please, don't be so envious ..
Yes, I like the F599 too .

S6 ? Get an M5, use the S6 and we will see how long you will use it .
Ah, don't forget to do a pair of LC
Then you can take your M5 and put her near the rubbish .
Who has told that ?
I think that SMG1 can be fast as S5 smg3 mode but for 100k km .
PS :
This thread was especially for SMG owners, to show how fast can be our SMG .
I am not envoius Where did you get that ideea?!
Let me put it this way. I have never driven a non M smg. I only drove manual, steptronic obvius and smg 2 (m3 E46) and smg 3 (E60 M5). For me it seems that the smg 3 is the quickest gearbox bmw has to offer right now. How reliable is it, is a matter time. Yes many complained about gearbox failure or smth like that but I KNOW alot of people that haven't had any problems with it, and they drove it hard using the most agressive shift programs and LCs. It's like calling,if you want, all bmw 5 series E60 unreliable because there are quite alot of complains of this forum and not only. I told this many more times before...people see only the ugly sides when reading about reliability. No one, or very very few, if i recall, started a thread praising on how realiable and trouble free their car is/gearbox. If it works, it works and you are happy. If you have problems you get upset and come to the forum to share your problem and search for advices. If you think that almost all SMG3 gearboxes are rubbish then my firend i have to let you down, they are not. Some had problems yes, some cars even had engine problems within the 1st half-year of production (with the oil pump). Here the 1st E60 M5 went to service after 2 months, waiting for an engine swap exactly for that.

Regarding what you said i must say it's not sad to drive a steptronic because that's what i wanted more or less. I wanted a car that can save my left foot work for many many miles in town traffic but smg was not an option on the 535d or any other diesel. In fact it's even stupid to ask for a smg with a diesel engine imo, and the other better variants (545i at that time) didn't work for me since i was more attracted by the imense performance in all day conditions of the diesel, the imense torque, and the posibility to remap the engine to much more hp/tq and way better mileage. So i don't regret anything. Tell you this, the only regret i would have is the fact to buy a 545i or 550i smg and not getting the emmy.

I just wanted to see the actual change in the non-M smg (your 545i) but with the hand too, so that we can make a better comparo. That was all. I was not being agressive with that statement. Cuz in your video all we can see is the neddle, and how fast it moves changing gear, but not the actual command to change gear and thus the proper change.

And ps where does it states that this is a smg only thread?! No biggie but i may have missed that. You should have put it in the title or topic description at least.

Sorry man but the only one that has problems apparently is you or you are searching for with this topic. You are the one that wants to know how fast is that and how fast is the other just to justify your own past actions or whatever. Or maybe i'm wrong or it's only a pure theoretical thread, but based on the agressive tone i lean not to think so.

PS: Ask znod pls wich is the better gearbox for drag racing between non M smg and steptronic! J/K but you can ask though....

All the best!
Old 09-04-2006, 12:36 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay
I am not envoius Where did you get that ideea?!
I drove an E90 325i Steptronic and I have understood how unfunny is steptronic .

Let me put it this way. I have never driven a non M smg. I only drove manual, steptronic obvius and smg 2 (m3 E46) and smg 3 (E60 M5).

What a pity, you haven't tried the bests, Cambiocorsa and DSG .
:thumbsdown:

For me it seems that the smg 3 is the quickest gearbox bmw has to offer right now.

Perhaps .

If it works, it works and you are happy.
And if it doesn't work ?
Is it true or isn't it true, that every 3-4 LC you must to bring the M5 to check up ?

If you have problems you get upset and come to the forum to share your problem and search for advices. If you think that almost all SMG3 gearboxes are rubbish then my firend i have to let you down, they are not.

Fragile .
But my thread was to show you *how fast can be the SMG1*, *not for say that SMG3 is fragile* .

So i don't regret anything. Tell you this, the only regret i would have is the fact to buy a 545i or 550i smg and not getting the emmy.
Mh, for more ?10k I could bring "the emmy", that I tried on Monza circuit in May : "thanks to God", we say in our language, I have choosen the 545i ... The M5 has a crazy consumption and in P400 mode it goes less than mine .
In P500 is fast ?
Yes, but 5 km with a liter versus 8.5 ... With "the emmy" every 300 km you can stop and fill up, with the V8 500 if you go fast or 700 if you go slow .
No regrets, not any regret for have choosen a 11 lt/100 km car that can be brought to 400 BHP with some mods .

I just wanted to see the actual change in the non-M smg (your 545i) but with the hand too,
I will make others clips .

Cuz in your video all we can see is the neddle,
TWO neddles and the sound are enough to understand that is superfast .

Sorry man but the only one that has problems apparently is you or you are searching for with this topic.
Sure man, you are right ..

You are the one that wants to know how fast is that and how fast is the other just to justify your own past actions or whatever.
"my own past actions" ?
What actions ?

[/quote]
Or maybe i'm wrong or it's only a pure theoretical thread,
[quote]

Yes, you are wrong and it's only a pure theoretical thread .

PS: Ask znod pls wich is the better gearbox for drag racing between non M smg and steptronic!
When I will be 70 years old I will prefer Steptronic, yes :-) .

J/K but you can ask though....

You laugh ?
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2...4516&q=535d

Funny gear!
And good sound too, rotfl!
Equal to this :

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7...0&q=autobus

All the best!
Thank you!
Old 09-04-2006, 12:48 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='330711' date='Sep 4 2006, 07:43 PM
Hummm I dont see that much difference between the S1 and S5.

to me it seems like S5 is close to my 545 Sport mode shifting... I even want to say that the 545s sport mode is like in between S5 and S6 and 545's non sport mode is like S1 on the M5.
Exactly!

Cuz when I shift in Sports in the higher revs its pretty quick.
You will receive a PM .
Old 09-04-2006, 01:12 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by AlexFW' post='330786' date='Sep 4 2006, 11:36 PM
Is it true or isn't it true, that every 3-4 LC you must to bring the M5 to check up ?
Is this valid info? Where did you get that? Let me guess you read somewhere on a forum, or you heard from a friend of a friend. Are you serious?!?!?! In BMW performance days when i drove the M5 the car was subjected to more than 20-30 LCs but at every 2-3 LCs the supervisor only let the car cool down a bit (the clutch and all) and that was it. And i was there! And no errors or check up messages or any kinda of stuff. I ASK YOU AGAIN. IS THIS VALID INFO or you're just speculating over what you've read.

But my thread was to show you *how fast can be the SMG1*, *not for say that SMG3 is fragile* .
The 1st half of this statement is true the other isn't. Read again the comments if you forget your own words that easily "(f@ck the SMG3 that it's broken of every 10k kms and after 3 LC it needs a checkup!)"

The M5 has a crazy consumption and in P400 mode it goes less than mine .
I don't understand here. I "agree" the M5 drinks "lots more" than the 545i , according to the bmw.com site:
M5 Fuel consumption

Urban (l/100 km) 22.7

Extra-urban (l/100 km) 10.2

Composite (l/100 km) 14.8

550i Fuel consumption

Urban (l/100 km) 16.4

Extra-urban (l/100 km) 8.0

Composite (l/100 km) 11.1

And thus answering for the next comment, i don't think fuel consumption is too much of a PROBLEM that you can't drive your car anymore if you have a 540i/545i/550i and you would swap for an M5. I mean come on let's be serious...you bought a 545i for gas mileage??!?! Even i can't brag myself with that. Let's be honest here and face the facts. If you pretty much can pay for a E60 V8 and you can sustain the fuel bills then the M5 would be a tad tighter but affordable. It's not that catastrophic.
PS: I don't understand what yous aid about the P400 thing. It goes less? Like it has worse mileage or it's slower? I suspect it's aobut consumption, and if it is i already answered it. Be realistic not start aouching and complaining about conumption cuz you got a 4.4liter V8 there.

Yes, but 5 km with a liter versus 8.5 ... With "the emmy" every 300 km you can stop and fill up, with the V8 500 if you go fast or 700 if you go slow .

No regrets, not any regret for have choosen a 11 lt/100 km car that can be brought to 400 BHP with some mods .
Agree but what mods? The remap will only give you aprox 30 more hp. To bring it close to 400bhp you have to invest quite alot. M i right? Then why don't you? Aaaah the hp/$ ratio is awfully small in those conditions not to mention you really start to wonder about reliability and warranty.
PS You refere to composite consumption (11liters) but the M5 has 15. Oh my my my! It's like comparing a dragster with a toyota yaris d4d.

When I will be 70 years old I will prefer Steptronic, yes :-) .
With this comment you really give away your way of thinking. You don't understand that you aready have an "automatic", but it changes (some say it doesn't ) faster than the steptronic and you have some paddles attached to the steering wheel wich can be installed later on, on steptronic cars too. I could really live with that remark from someone that drives a manual gearbox.. I do like also smg but if i have to choose why not choose the best. I am sure my next car will be a SMG M BMW, be it the new M3 or the M6 (depending on the budget).
I told you, maybe it's me, but you are trying to justify yourself with those comments.
Old 09-04-2006, 01:23 PM
Senior Members

Unless someone clears things up i knew that the SMG III changes in the fastest mode in 65ms, SMG II in 80ms, and i don't know the time for normal smg.
But you forget that the SMGIII is a comlete different gearbox, with lots and lots more hardcore stuff in it. For instance all the electornics are different, gearbox related, to match all the needs by the shifting programs and LC request. LC is different to AA in non M smg, the ecu works different then. And you forget that the SMGIII has 7 ratios. Not interesting i bet umm?
Old 09-04-2006, 05:42 PM
Senior Members

smg2,as found on the e46 m3, shifts for 150ms in modes 1-5 and 75ms in mode 6.

I had an m3 for 2.5 years, drove it for 13500km and did 80+ LCs without a single fault.
I once got a SMG fault when trying to do a third LC in the space of 5 minutes. Shutting the car
down for 15 minutes to let everything cool , resolved this.

I have personlly driven the e60 m5 on two occasions and had no problems performing 4 LC in total.

The "oldest" m5 e60 in bulgaria has 56000km on the clock. The owner also has a Corvette Z06, a ferrari 430... etc. He is an ex proffesional driver, and does not use anything else but S6.

He has performed at least 50 LC , and he is still using the original transmission.

And who would have ever thought to compare 545i and m5? the m5 is in a DIFFERENT CLASS

Quick Reply: This is the SMG I like!