E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

SMG Gone?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2005, 07:11 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Aug 30 2005, 10:01 PM
[quote name='stream' date='Aug 30 2005, 08:26 PM']Like SMG, it is a sequential manual trans, so you can only up- or down-shift one gear at a time, but how many times have you actually skipped gears when shifting?
[snapback]165367[/snapback]
With all due respect stream, my answer to your question is: "All the freaking time!" (on downshifts, of course).

You need to spend some time with SMG to see what I'm talking about...or, if you prefer, watch an F1 or Champ Car race and listen to how fast they downshift through the gears while braking before turning in. With SMG, you can click down two or more gears and there's no delay while the transmission is engaging the skipped gears. DSG better be mighty quick to duplicate that condition...
[snapback]165410[/snapback]
[/quote]

Oh, so the SMG needs to engage each skipped gear as well? I thought that the DSG having to do this was unique for some reason. I guess they're pretty close then save for the dual clutch thing on the DSG. Sounds like the ZSG (or whatever BMW calls it) won't call upon SMG owners to give up anything.
Old 08-30-2005, 07:15 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

No, the SMG does not have to engage each gear but you have to sequentially flick the paddles. In other words, two quick clicks will result in the car skipping one gear altogether...
Old 08-30-2005, 07:16 PM
JDN
Contributors

Originally Posted by pennetta' date='Aug 30 2005, 02:31 PM
I was an early adopter and waited specifically for the SMG. Mine was one of the first ones built. I had one major problem, wherein they had to replace the transmission, actually I got the car back today.
I love the SMG and I think it really differentiates BMW from the competition. I hope we don't lose it as I am planning for a 550 SMG in 18 months when my lease is up.
[snapback]165212[/snapback]
Same here, Pennetta. Ordered in October '03, delivered in April '04. I like it and do not plan to give it up lightly.
Old 08-30-2005, 07:26 PM
JDN
Contributors

Originally Posted by joepoole' date='Aug 30 2005, 01:49 PM
Interesting!? If you check the BMWUSA Website and build a 550, you will find SMG as an option.? This may not mean anything, but maybe it does.

Joe

:'(
[snapback]165187[/snapback]
I put together an 550 SMG price sheet equipped like my '04 545. Much to my surprise, it was only a couple thousand higher than my similarly equipped '04.
Old 08-30-2005, 07:27 PM
JDN
Contributors

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Aug 30 2005, 10:15 PM
No, the SMG does not have to engage each gear but you have to sequentially flick the paddles.? In other words, two quick clicks will result in the car skipping one gear altogether...
[snapback]165418[/snapback]
And those two quick clicks are just as fast as two fast mouse clicks -- or three -- or four. .
Old 08-30-2005, 07:39 PM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Aug 30 2005, 08:01 PM
[quote name='stream' date='Aug 30 2005, 08:26 PM']Like SMG, it is a sequential manual trans, so you can only up- or down-shift one gear at a time, but how many times have you actually skipped gears when shifting?
[snapback]165367[/snapback]
With all due respect stream, my answer to your question is: "All the freaking time!" (on downshifts, of course).

You need to spend some time with SMG to see what I'm talking about...or, if you prefer, watch an F1 or Champ Car race and listen to how fast they downshift through the gears while braking before turning in. With SMG, you can click down two or more gears and there's no delay while the transmission is engaging the skipped gears. DSG better be mighty quick to duplicate that condition...
[snapback]165410[/snapback]
[/quote]

I was under the impression that all sequential gearboxes--including SMG--cannot literally skip gears, although you can very quickly shift through them. With both SMG and DSG you just quickly downshift from 4th to 3rd, then to 2nd, with the wonderful rev matching throttle blipping done for you. So are you saying with SMG you can literally skip gears, or is it happening so quickly that it seems like it is?

Since Porsche used DSG before in racing and again now in their new LMP2 car, you can rest assured it's plenty quick. I've attended F1 racing in person (and actually sat in Schumi's car in the garage before a race!) and know exactly what you're talking about.
Old 08-30-2005, 09:20 PM
Super Moderator

Can't say for sure if it's moving the "skipped" gear in then out but clearly it's not going to act like the DSG where the car has to engage the clutch on the next lower gear so it can select the next gear after that on the 2nd clutch.

All I know is that we SMG'ers can bump down multiple gears just like the race cars and the throttle blip seamlessly allows the engagement of the chosen gear without anything happening in between...
Old 08-30-2005, 10:38 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i; Manual Shifter

Sorry if this was mentioned earlier in the thread (didn't read every post), but wasn't it rumored that SMG would remain but only in the M cars and that the normal 3/5/6 series would get the ZSG as an option?

If true, it would seem BMW is telling everyone that they still prefer SMG over ZSG when it comes to spirited driving.
Old 08-31-2005, 05:26 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

Even though its called a sequential manual gearbox, its not. My Kawasaki ZX1000R is a true sequential, you must go through each gear to get to the next. Its a mechanical linkage so this is obvious. The E60 is relatively standard 6-speed manual with a computer selecting each gear. If you had a mechanical linkage you would be shifting with the modified H-pattern, which has neutral as the center point but you can access any gear directly going through the neutral position.
The heard/read the new M5 has a true sequential unit, like my ZX1000R, designed specifically for this use. This maybe why the SMG option has been suspended for the std E60, so they can convert over to the new tranny design for the rest of the line.
Old 08-31-2005, 07:32 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by pennetta' date='Aug 31 2005, 09:26 AM
Even though its called a sequential manual gearbox, its not. My Kawasaki ZX1000R is a true sequential, you must go through each gear to get to the next. Its a mechanical linkage so this is obvious. The E60 is relatively standard 6-speed manual with a computer selecting each gear. If you had a mechanical linkage you would be shifting with the modified H-pattern, which has neutral as the center point but you can access any gear directly going through the neutral position.
The heard/read the new M5 has a true sequential unit, like my ZX1000R, designed specifically for this use. This maybe why the SMG option has been suspended for the std E60, so they can convert over to the new tranny design for the rest of the line.
[snapback]165528[/snapback]
Good point pennetta. I forgot that the tranny is the same as a traditional manual. Now I'm sure the SMG skips a gear if you double-click a downshift...

Quick Reply: SMG Gone?