E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

SMG

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 02:49 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by speedracerF4i' post='367064' date='Dec 13 2006, 03:49 PM
I enjoy my SMG very much, but I would not buy BMW's SMG again. This is because after driving my brother's Audi with DSG, I found that it's much superior than SMG. So I would wait until BMW comes out with something similar.

Now, I have to point out something very serious about SMG. My wife drives my car 2 days every week because I need the Odyssey for my business. She always drive my car in "D" . When I drive the car afterwards, I notice that the clutch will slip considerably before hooking of the gear. This will cause the clutch to wear prematurely over time. I have an appointment tomorrow for clutch replacement that will not be covered by the warranty. Normal wear an tear my ass, I only have 22,000 miles.

So, if you plan to drive the SMG extensively in auto mode, make sure you budget in clutch replacement every 20K miles.
can you find out how much is the average clutch job? thx
Old 12-13-2006, 02:50 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: MY05 545i Jet Black with Auburn interior. SMG, Logic7, Sport Package, Comfort Seats, Navigation.

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' post='367072' date='Dec 13 2006, 03:56 PM
The reason the clutch is getting worn is because your wife is driving the SMG as if it were an automatic. By that I mean to say that she is simply pressing the accelerator pedal and not moderating the pressure during shifts. In fact, I would venture so far as to say that you are also driving the SMG like an automatic.... even though you don't use the auto mode.

Take a look at my previous post regarding proper shifting procedure with SMG. Follow that, and you'll get better life out of the clutch and much better performance from the transmission in general.

I don't think I drive my car like automatic. I think I mastered the shift timing with my gas pedal pretty well. If I don't, the SMG feels somewhat jerky. And yes, you guessed it, my wife does drive my car like it was automatic. Because that's the only tranny she knows. LIke 95% of the driving population. What's wrong with that??? And no, my wife doesn't ride the clutch at stops. She doesn't have the habit and nor do I. I explained very carefully to her about the proper function of the brakes, and the cost disparity between a brake job and a clutch job. Why don't you guys try to drive in D for 1 day and see what happens the next day?

My brother drives an A3 with DSG. It's true that DSG only works on smaller engines right now, but I still think that with time, it will apply to larger engines as well. Did I mention its Auto mode is seemless? Doesn't BMW have a double clutch DSG of their own in the pipeline? I would bet that it would be superior to the present day SMG.

I bought SMG because unlike some lucky people who can afford many cars that the wife has no chance in using. Sharing cars is a curse that is a necessity for me.
Now, if driving in auto mode will cause the clutch to wear pre-maturely, then I would like to know about it before hand because it was an important feature for me. Perhaps not to someone like you, but I just want to share my experiece, your drive may vary.
Old 12-13-2006, 03:02 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: MY05 545i Jet Black with Auburn interior. SMG, Logic7, Sport Package, Comfort Seats, Navigation.

Originally Posted by baadaaboo' post='367145' date='Dec 13 2006, 06:49 PM
can you find out how much is the average clutch job? thx
The Service Advisor will work with me on this one. Normally it's a $1,000 job. I will let you know tomorrow.
Old 12-13-2006, 03:18 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i SMG

Originally Posted by vegastrashed' post='367137' date='Dec 13 2006, 06:35 PM
Depends on what kind of race you are talking about. From a dig (standstill), the Step is king, from a roll, IMHO, the SMG is best.
For road racing or auto-cross, you need a transmission that stays in the gear you select and you need to be able to sometimes skip gears. My SMG downshifts by itself all the time...thats ok for street driving.
Old 12-13-2006, 04:00 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by speedracerF4i' post='367147' date='Dec 13 2006, 06:50 PM
I don't think I drive my car like automatic. I think I mastered the shift timing with my gas pedal pretty well. If I don't, the SMG feels somewhat jerky. And yes, you guessed it, my wife does drive my car like it was automatic. Because that's the only tranny she knows. LIke 95% of the driving population. What's wrong with that??? And no, my wife doesn't ride the clutch at stops. She doesn't have the habit and nor do I. I explained very carefully to her about the proper function of the brakes, and the cost disparity between a brake job and a clutch job. Why don't you guys try to drive in D for 1 day and see what happens the next day?

My brother drives an A3 with DSG. It's true that DSG only works on smaller engines right now, but I still think that with time, it will apply to larger engines as well. Did I mention its Auto mode is seemless? Doesn't BMW have a double clutch DSG of their own in the pipeline? I would bet that it would be superior to the present day SMG.

I bought SMG because unlike some lucky people who can afford many cars that the wife has no chance in using. Sharing cars is a curse that is a necessity for me.
Now, if driving in auto mode will cause the clutch to wear pre-maturely, then I would like to know about it before hand because it was an important feature for me. Perhaps not to someone like you, but I just want to share my experiece, your drive may vary.
I totally understand your frustration and your disappointment that automatic mode is being blamed for premature clutch wear. Clearly, in my opinion, this should not happen under normal operating conditions -- no matter how much you use auto mode.

I'm pretty sure realtyman uses auto mode often -- maybe he can offer some information to help figure out if your car is acting "normal" or not?
Old 12-13-2006, 09:38 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 550i White/Black, SMG, Sports Pkg, Comfort Access, Nav, HUD, Satellite Radio, Anthracite Maple Trim 2006 X5 3.0, Black/Black, Sports Pkg, Premium Pkg, Xenon Adaptive Headlight, NAV, Rear Climate Pkg, Anthracite Trim

I love the SMG transmission and I would get SMG again if they offer it on the next BMW I want. Even though the Step is faster than the SMG you can't beat the feel and sound of it if you have an exhaust.
Old 12-14-2006, 08:35 AM
Contributors

Thank you all for your comments..... it will help !!!
Old 12-14-2006, 09:53 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

Originally Posted by speedracerF4i' post='367147' date='Dec 13 2006, 06:50 PM

I think you are misunderstanding what I mean.

Driving an SMG isn't necessarily what is hard on the clutch. What is hard on it is shifting while holding the accelerator pedal down.

I can drive my SMG in D mode but still moderate my foot pressure on the accelerator at the right time to prevent jerkiness and premature wear.
Old 12-14-2006, 10:44 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' post='367458' date='Dec 14 2006, 01:53 PM
I think you are misunderstanding what I mean.

Driving an SMG isn't necessarily what is hard on the clutch. What is hard on it is shifting while holding the accelerator pedal down.

I can drive my SMG in D mode but still moderate my foot pressure on the accelerator at the right time to prevent jerkiness and premature wear.
You are absolutely right. My wife does not know when to easy up the throattle to induce shifts.
But I have to concede that SMG in auto mode, it's still harder to predict shift point than the true automatic.
Old 12-14-2006, 01:05 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

Originally Posted by speedracerF4i' post='367480' date='Dec 14 2006, 02:44 PM
You are absolutely right. My wife does not know when to easy up the throattle to induce shifts.
But I have to concede that SMG in auto mode, it's still harder to predict shift point than the true automatic.

Try using this method, in D mode.

Accelerate
When car shifts, release slight pressure on accel pedal.
Wait for gear to engage
Accelerate in next gear

Quick Reply: SMG