E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

smell from air conditioner

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 12:17 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 525i (not LCI) - Alpine white, M sport package, Comfort seats, Logic 7, Bluetooth, Xenon adaptive headlights, PDC, sunroof, A/C with extended features, etc.

i get this funny smell everytime i turn on the air conditioner. it comes out initially for about 5 seconds and then goes away. and by everytime, i mean everytime after the car has been idle for about 6-8 hours.

any ideas on how to fix this??

thanks,

sam
Old 02-11-2008, 01:51 AM
Contributors

My Ride: On Order as of May 6- 2007 530i Titanium Grey and Grey Leather, with Sport Package, Premium Pkg, Cold Pkg. 2006 Porsche Boxster

Originally Posted by trojan.525i' post='529868' date='Feb 11 2008, 04:17 AM
i get this funny smell everytime i turn on the air conditioner. it comes out initially for about 5 seconds and then goes away. and by everytime, i mean everytime after the car has been idle for about 6-8 hours.

any ideas on how to fix this??

thanks,

sam
it is from the AC and the crap growing/collected.

Turn your heat on full blast for about 10 minutes and this will take care of it. Works every time.
Old 02-11-2008, 04:11 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by nickolas_g' post='529877' date='Feb 11 2008, 05:51 AM
it is from the AC and the crap growing/collected.

Turn your heat on full blast for about 10 minutes and this will take care of it. Works every time.

"crap growing"....thats a nice thought....
blast the heat... never thought of that.. thanks
Old 02-11-2008, 05:11 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Heelsonwheels' post='529887' date='Feb 11 2008, 05:11 AM
"crap growing"....thats a nice thought....
blast the heat... never thought of that.. thanks
Just in case that doesn't work...

Recently I had a peculiar smell when starting up my Lexus. It reminded me of the smell of natural gas (not gasoline). After a week or so of that, just lasting a few seconds, it became longer lasting and more intense.

I took it to the dealer and $325 later they had removed the dead rat from my ventilation system. Fortunately, with shampooing the entire interior, they banished the smell.
Old 02-11-2008, 05:14 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

This is a fairly common problem. Search the forums using the word "odor" and again using the word "odour" and you should find a bunch of topics about this...
Old 02-11-2008, 07:17 AM
Members

My Ride: '04 525d Tourer, Mystic Blue, beige Dakota leather, 18" alloys, xenons, etc

You can get anti fungal sprays (for the aircon!) then whip off the charcoal filter and spray liberally onto the matrix you will be able to see.

job done.
Old 02-11-2008, 03:25 PM
Members

There is some stuff called FrigiFresh or MOC A/C Odor Treatment that you can pick up at pretty much any dealer parts dept (I got mine at a local Ford dealership). You spray it into the air conditioner intake with the air conditioner on high and it kills fungus in the system. It is not as good as getting the dealer to do a true climate system cleaning, but it will take care of the "moss" and stuff that grows in there for 3 to 6 months (depending on the level of humidity where you live). Down here in South Texas, where the humidity is ALWAYS around 90% it is a very common problem. It is caused by airborn fungus and mold collecting in there and growing due to the huge amount of condensation that collects and stays after you turn off the car. Costs about $12 per can and one can is good for about 3 or 4 treatments. I have used it for the past 2 years with really good results.
Old 02-12-2008, 01:52 PM
Contributors

If you run the A/C frequently, and live in higher humidity areas, you should have the drain line(s) that carry runoff condensation from the evaporator periodically checked for blockage. If the drain line gets blocked, not only can more mildew grow in there, but leaks can develop that dampen the carpets and lead to other unsavory odors that are hard to eliminate.
Old 02-12-2008, 03:10 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by jes0331' post='530588' date='Feb 12 2008, 04:52 PM
If you run the A/C frequently, and live in higher humidity areas, you should have the drain line(s) that carry runoff condensation from the evaporator periodically checked for blockage. If the drain line gets blocked, not only can more mildew grow in there, but leaks can develop that dampen the carpets and lead to other unsavory odors that are hard to eliminate.

I still cannot understand why BMW cannot get this issue resolved. 70K cars should not smell like piss because of the Mildew that BMW cannot seem to prevent. Anyway BMW techs which do not BS me told me the best way to prevent this is to shut off the AC about 2-4 min before you get to your destination and just run the fan. This will help dry out the water that collects on the AC coils and helps prevent this from happening. I do know that BMW has a Spray that the techs can spray in the vents to help kill the mildew which is causing the smell but it is only a temporary fix.
Old 02-12-2008, 04:49 PM
Senior Members

I get a smell too, but mine is the new leather :-)! hahaha

Quick Reply: smell from air conditioner