E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Slight clunk to my active steering...read on

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2005, 08:23 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545 steptronic, silver gray, black, logic-7,PDC, folding rear seats, power rear shade, cold pack, 50% huper optic, comfort seats, sirius radio.

Originally Posted by ch7656' date='Mar 22 2005, 11:47 AM
I?ve been noticing a very slight notch-like/clunk feeling to my steering. When turning at times I can feel a slight clunk as I rotate the wheel. And while it is VERY slight I notice it nonetheless and it?s a bit annoying.

Mentioned it on my last service visit and the dealer told me it was addressed. Well it wasn?t and I?ve been too busy to call the dealer and mention it? a couple weeks have gone by now and I finally did call the dealer. I mentioned the situation to the service advisor, she was very apologetic, and then went on to ask me if I had a rapid ?clicking? sometime when I went to unlock my car. I have had this clicking on occasion but I never mentioned it to the dealer because I figured I wouldn?t be able to replicate the problem while at the dealer?and they probably wouldn?t know what I was talking about. Obviously I was wrong?car is scheduled to go in on the 11th and the advisor mentioned to me that with this ?clicking? often times the entire steering rack is being replaced. Hmmm I wonder if these two items (clunk and click) are connected?probably so?we?ll see
[snapback]105091[/snapback]

I've been experiencing the clunk feeling in my stering. It mostly happens at slow speeds, and I can hear it and feel it. It's been happening for about 3 weeks and seems to be getting worst. I was planning on having it checked out on my next visit to the dealer, which now may be sooner than I expected. On the other hand, I don't get the rapid clicking when unlocking the car.
Old 03-24-2005, 11:14 AM
Members

Well hopefully good news for my steering problems. The service advisor just called and told me the rack has been replaced but they are testing it today/tomorrow morning before I get it back. I am keeping my fingers crossed that all turns out well.
Old 03-24-2005, 11:42 AM

Best of luck-- hope all is fixed!

-RAI
Old 03-24-2005, 05:30 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Cool! Hope all is well... let us know.
Old 03-24-2005, 09:16 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' date='Mar 23 2005, 08:07 PM
[quote name='GER_545SMG' date='Mar 22 2005, 10:11 AM']I made an AVI clip to capture the noise I'm hearing. It is present on startup and shutdown, in slow speed turns and over bumps occasionally. Sometime worse than others, maybe more when cold?

At any rate, here is the AVI... http://home.comcast.net/~grobertson2...ring_noise.AVI

Is this the noise you're hearing?

You can't really hear it unless you have a good set of speakers...
[snapback]105134[/snapback]
You mean that thud thud thud thud sound when you wiggle your steering wheel?
[snapback]105773[/snapback]
[/quote]

OK, it is a little nutty, but I did it to demonstrate the sound I hear when the steering wheel moves up/down, and I hear that sound over bumps (usually at like a 45 degree angle). It's not that I wiggle the wheel like that all the time

Doesn't really matter...I've learned to live with it and haven't wrecked because of it (knock on wood).
Old 03-24-2005, 09:30 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by GER_545SMG' date='Mar 24 2005, 10:16 PM
Doesn't really matter...I've learned to live with it and haven't wrecked because of it (knock on wood).
[snapback]106358[/snapback]
What so you're not going to get it fixed? I havent tried that wiggling technique on mine yet to see... but normally I dont feel or hear and *thud* sounds from mine... *knock on wood*
Old 03-27-2005, 05:43 PM
Senior Members

welcome aboard, markll !
Old 03-28-2005, 12:45 PM
Members

I am happy again. Got the car back Friday and I have not had any problems for three days now and about 200 miles. Replacing the steering assembly worked for me.

RAI I hope you get your problems resolved.
Old 03-28-2005, 03:14 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by ch7656' date='Mar 22 2005, 11:47 AM
I?ve been noticing a very slight notch-like/clunk feeling to my steering. When turning at times I can feel a slight clunk as I rotate the wheel. And while it is VERY slight I notice it nonetheless and it?s a bit annoying.

Mentioned it on my last service visit and the dealer told me it was addressed. Well it wasn?t and I?ve been too busy to call the dealer and mention it? a couple weeks have gone by now and I finally did call the dealer. I mentioned the situation to the service advisor, she was very apologetic, and then went on to ask me if I had a rapid ?clicking? sometime when I went to unlock my car. I have had this clicking on occasion but I never mentioned it to the dealer because I figured I wouldn?t be able to replicate the problem while at the dealer?and they probably wouldn?t know what I was talking about. Obviously I was wrong?car is scheduled to go in on the 11th and the advisor mentioned to me that with this ?clicking? often times the entire steering rack is being replaced. Hmmm I wonder if these two items (clunk and click) are connected?probably so?we?ll see
[snapback]105091[/snapback]
I've got the same noise. See here and tell me if this rings a bell...:

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=...indpost&p=54377

I've also got a clicking noise coming from the steering wheel when turning the wheel- different then the post I have referenced above. I **don't** have the clicking when I unlock the car, just the standard knock noise. I also have not had any active steering failure messages through Idrive.
Old 04-09-2005, 08:00 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545, Auto, Sport, L7, Pdc, Sunshades, Silver Gray/Black, 19x8.5/9.5 Monet Wheels, Michelin PS A/S Tires, Full M-KIt, B&B Exhaust, 20% Llumar Tint

Last night...I experienced the steering really going to hell...fatal message on the idrive screen (forgot what it said but basically stop driving) and to go straight I had to turn the wheel a half-turn to the right / I know others have reported the same / Service appt is this upcoming Wed...

I still love this car...