E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Slight clunk to my active steering...read on

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2005, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by ch7656' date='Mar 23 2005, 09:56 AM
[quote name='Guest' date='Mar 23 2005, 06:16 AM'][quote name='ch7656' date='Mar 22 2005, 11:47 AM']
Rai-
Are you talking about the feel in the steering wheel or the rapid clicking noise? If it's the noise I can give contact info for my service advisor and your contact can in turn reach out to them...if it's the feel in the wheel...I can provide info after my service visit as to whether or not the issue was fixed and try to shed some light as to how a resolution was reached
[snapback]105515[/snapback]

Sorry for the confusion- it's the rapid clicking noise I'm talking about, plus warning messages for active steering failure. Any info re that would be of immense help. Did you have this problem yourself? Did they replace your steering rack? Did that cure the problem?

Thanks!,
RAI
Old 03-23-2005, 08:40 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

RAI,

my service advisor informed me that the direction to replace the entire steering rack came from BMW technical service, which I assume is part of BMW NA.

I am surprised your service technician cannot tell that you have had the problem since they told me that the "computer" recorded 72 separate failures on my car. It should record the problem for diagnostics.

I will ask about a service bulletin next time I talk to my advisor.

8 days and counting now with no parts and no repair work being done.
Old 03-23-2005, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Bubblehead' date='Mar 23 2005, 12:40 PM
RAI,

my service advisor informed me that the direction to replace the entire steering rack came from BMW technical service, which I assume is part of BMW NA.?

I am surprised your service technician cannot tell that you have had the problem since they told me that the "computer" recorded 72 separate failures on my car.? It should record the problem for diagnostics.

8 days and counting now with no parts and no repair work being done.?
[snapback]105559[/snapback]

Thanks!

Two quick questions- was their decision to replace the steering rack based on the recorded failures in your steering system, the "clicking" noise, or both?? Did they tell you what was causing the clicking noise?

Regards,
RAI
Old 03-23-2005, 10:48 AM
Members

My Ride: 2011 550i, Imperial Blue, Grey, Sport Package, Sport Transmission, Dynamic Handling, Premium 2, Active Steering 2011 335i Cabrolet, Titanium Silver, Black, M Sport Package 2008 550i, Carbon Black, Grey Leather, Cold Weather Package, Premium Sound, Sport Package, Sport Automatic, Navigation, Satellite Radio, 2005 545i, Titanium Silver, Grey Leather, Cold Weather Package, Premium Sound, Sport Package, Automatic, Navigation, Satellite Radio,

Originally Posted by Guest' date='Mar 23 2005, 02:24 PM
[quote name='Bubblehead' date='Mar 23 2005, 12:40 PM']RAI,

my service advisor informed me that the direction to replace the entire steering rack came from BMW technical service, which I assume is part of BMW NA.?

I am surprised your service technician cannot tell that you have had the problem since they told me that the "computer" recorded 72 separate failures on my car.? It should record the problem for diagnostics.

8 days and counting now with no parts and no repair work being done.?? :devil:
[snapback]105559[/snapback]

Thanks!

Two quick questions- was their decision to replace the steering rack based on the recorded failures in your steering system, the "clicking" noise, or both?? Did they tell you what was causing the clicking noise?

Regards,
RAI
[snapback]105584[/snapback]
[/quote]
Old 03-23-2005, 10:55 AM
Members

My Ride: 2011 550i, Imperial Blue, Grey, Sport Package, Sport Transmission, Dynamic Handling, Premium 2, Active Steering 2011 335i Cabrolet, Titanium Silver, Black, M Sport Package 2008 550i, Carbon Black, Grey Leather, Cold Weather Package, Premium Sound, Sport Package, Sport Automatic, Navigation, Satellite Radio, 2005 545i, Titanium Silver, Grey Leather, Cold Weather Package, Premium Sound, Sport Package, Automatic, Navigation, Satellite Radio,

I had the same problem with the steering malfunction light & the wheel set 30 degrees off center. In my case it was caused by driving over a very large chunk of ice that came off of a truck in front of me on a highway. The impact of the ice chunk damaged the wiring harness connecting to the sensors in the right front wheel. The repair cost $90 for the wiring harness, $700 labor and was not covered under either the warranty or the maintenance program.
Old 03-23-2005, 02:00 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Welcome aboard, MarkLL !
Old 03-23-2005, 02:10 PM
Members

RAI,

I don't think either in reality. They thought they had repaired the problem to do a faulty electrical connection but the day after I had the car back I had the same error again.

When I took it in again they did a software update and when they "rebooted" the car the steering failed and caused a complete system failure. BMW technical then told the service advisor to replace the entire unit. I think I mentioned the sound once, but they did not necessarily tie the sound to the active steering problem.

I do remember last fall this topic came up on the board but if memory serves correct no-one thought it was that big of deal.
Old 03-23-2005, 03:40 PM
Members

My Ride: 04 545i Auto Sport Silver Gray Metallic - Black Leather - Poplar Premium Sound - Shades - Sat Prep 3M Clear Bra

If you are getting warning messages for active steering failure - then you most likely need to have your entire steering rack replaced. I think there is something wrong that BMW is not telling us (other than the crappy run flats)

Maybe I should have bought the 997 and taken my chances with the bad seals :-S

If you get any failures or alerts bring it in EVERY time it comes up. I just got a call from my advisor for the same thing, and they are having to replace the rack and pinion steering rack.

They have had my car almost as long as me it seems...

Service 1 - 15 days
Electrical malfunction in the dash - display blacking out, or shutting down (replaced main board)
Recall - software upgrade - blue tooth enabled (yeah)
Window up/down

Issue 2 - 2 days
Oil Change
Window Up/Down
Broken rear center console (had to order parts)
Center Console Rattle (caused by service 1 no doubt)

Issue 3 - 8 days and counting
Window Up/Down
Broken rear center console (ordered wrong parts - I think they actually broke something else)
Center Console Rattle (This came around to replacing the run flats)
Active Steering Failure (replacing steering rack)
Old 03-23-2005, 05:13 PM
Members

LOL. 997 and 545 were my final 2 choices. Ended up ordering a 997. I know what you mean! :'(
Still lurkinng here because I am still thinking about getting the 550. I am leaning more and more towards no sport package, no run flat, and no AS.
Regards,
Can

Originally Posted by g35kev' date='Mar 23 2005, 04:40 PM

Maybe I should have bought the 997 and taken my chances with the bad seals :-S

[snapback]105737[/snapback]
Old 03-23-2005, 06:07 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by GER_545SMG' date='Mar 22 2005, 10:11 AM
I made an AVI clip to capture the noise I'm hearing. It is present on startup and shutdown, in slow speed turns and over bumps occasionally. Sometime worse than others, maybe more when cold?

At any rate, here is the AVI... http://home.comcast.net/~grobertson2...ring_noise.AVI

Is this the noise you're hearing?

You can't really hear it unless you have a good set of speakers...
[snapback]105134[/snapback]
You mean that thud thud thud thud sound when you wiggle your steering wheel?

Quick Reply: Slight clunk to my active steering...read on