E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

SIRRIUS???

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2006, 02:04 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jet190rs' post='251809' date='Mar 8 2006, 05:59 PM
So if my FM stations sound better or similar than my Sirius, what part of the car should I look into? The sharkfin antenna?

I really don't know jet but you should at the very least listen to someone elses E60 with satellite radio and compare. Maybe mine if we ever organize a NY meet somewhere.
Old 03-08-2006, 02:29 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 550 SMG

Wow now im really confused, anyone have an E60 with sirrius in NJ, for me to hear?
Old 03-08-2006, 02:47 PM
Members

I have XM in my Infiniti. It cuts out with some regularity.
Old 03-08-2006, 03:36 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by Bimmer32' post='251749
Don't forget Bubba The Love Sponge on ch. 101. That guy is off the hook!

I think the sound is a lot better than FM.
It seems like every time I get in my car, Bubba is on. Yes, it can get kind of nuts on that show but I wonder if it'll get old...

Originally Posted by jet190rs' post='251809
I have XM in my Infiniti. It cuts out with some regularity.
I have XM in my Honda. Yes, it can cut out too...
Old 03-08-2006, 04:26 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Bimmer32' post='251775' date='Mar 8 2006, 05:35 PM
I guess I bought it for the wrong reason. Still, the music sound quality is like mono. I can't get over that. There's just too much content that I can use elsewhere, e.g. weather channel, traffic, I can get from my wireless Internet (Verizon Vcard).

One time, I was listening to the Martha channel and some liberal said that, "the holiday is time to be spent alone, time for yourself because of the busy annual schedule of work. Besides, you don't want to spend time visiting mother, father, aunts, uncle's, in-law, and people you don't like so as to spoil your holiday."

What that hell? Might as well die alone or kill yourself if one has such an ego ecentric and selfish attitude. The speaker was serious (sirius) too and tried to convince callers (who were loners of course) of doing the same or similar thing.

As for Howard, we all know how he treats people (mostly women) who don't have self respective or self esteem. On episode, I saw a women getting constantly farted on by this "super world champ farter." The farting part was funny, but when that woman got under to get farted on, I flipped the channel.
But the sound quality of the farts was not bad. I think that one guy got 20,000 hertz on the one long one. Actually I had been listening and didn't think they had any farting since they left free FM.
Old 03-08-2006, 04:27 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2015 535D M Sport

I like the content most of the time, but it occasionally gets repetetive. The quality seems better than FM but not as good as CD. I hardly ever listen to anything else.

What bugs me the most are the drop-outs. When you drive on tree lined roads, through larger underpasses, alongside cliffs, etc. it drops out frequently. This is a problem on several of my regular routes. Not a deal killer, but something to consider.
Old 03-08-2006, 05:36 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Arrived 3 June 2005: 2005 545i - Orient Blue, Black interior, Sport, Steptronic, Cold Weather, NAV, Sirius, Logic7, Comfort Seats, Sunshades. What a glorious ride!

Sound quality seems to me to be variable, depending upon the channel. Sound on the Symphony channel is outstanding; much better than the local FM classical station. On the other hand, sound on the blues channels and rock channels seems much more compressed. But then, I couldn't care less about the rock channels.
Old 03-08-2006, 05:45 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 M5, Silver Grey, Silverstone Full Leather, Alumium trim, Active/Ventilated Comfort Seats, HUD, Comfort Access, Split Rear Seats, Rear Seat Heating, etc.

Sound quality is below mediocre on every channel I've heard. AM is a good comparison. It isn't that it sounds too "digital"... exactly the opposite. It has a muffled sound to it, like you're hearing it through a tin can or pillowcase. I do enjoy music but would not consider myself an acoustic expert or audiophile... it just is nowhere near the same quality as listening to a CD... toggling between the two reveals how inferior Sirius is. I have not had too many issues with sound cutting out; only once in a trip to Tahoe was it an issue (and then I was driving through the mountains, so it's to be expected). For me, a nice alternative when I get tired of whatever 7 discs are in the car, but I would not listen to it on a regular basis. Not sure I'll resubscribe when my freebie period is up.
Old 03-08-2006, 07:38 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Originally Posted by jdubbs' post='251900' date='Mar 8 2006, 08:45 PM
Sound quality is below mediocre on every channel I've heard. AM is a good comparison. It isn't that it sounds too "digital"... exactly the opposite. It has a muffled sound to it, like you're hearing it through a tin can or pillowcase. I do enjoy music but would not consider myself an acoustic expert or audiophile... it just is nowhere near the same quality as listening to a CD... toggling between the two reveals how inferior Sirius is. I have not had too many issues with sound cutting out; only once in a trip to Tahoe was it an issue (and then I was driving through the mountains, so it's to be expected). For me, a nice alternative when I get tired of whatever 7 discs are in the car, but I would not listen to it on a regular basis. Not sure I'll resubscribe when my freebie period is up.
Tin can is exactly the experience. I've tried almost every channel to listen to music, but I cannot distinguish a "stereo" sound at all. As for the Symphony, it's all :thumbsdown: too. The musical instruments cannot be easily distinguished.

Someone said Sirius is about content. Probably true, but Sirius have more music stations than talk shows. And the final complaint and probably not with Sirius per se: For every channel, you have to press "PLAY." It's not like FM where you can just god the dial (idrive and the station changes. In Sirius, you have to jog the channel, press idrive, and press "play." Now, that is a pain in the behind when you have over 100 channels to surf. :thumbsdown: You can't surf Sirius without taking your eyes off the road. :thumbsdown:

Someone say presets? There's only 12. Sirius in the E60 is a waste of money for my wants.
Old 03-08-2006, 07:57 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Sapphire Black on Black M5 - loaded sans soft close doors

Originally Posted by poleposition' post='251804' date='Mar 8 2006, 04:43 PM
For those of you who claim sound quality worse than AM or internet broadcasts, you should have your car checked out. In all siriusness, the sound quality isn't as bad as some of you are making it out to be. And if it is, there's something wrong with your car. It's most definitely better than FM and sometimes pretty close to a CD. It really depends on what you're listening to. Keep in mind, their business model is based on content moreso than it is sound quality. I'm sure that will improve in time. It really doesn't have very far to go to appeal to an audiophile though.
Actually no, the fact is, Sirrius sounds worse than FM and is no where near CD quality (it is highly compressed). If your CD sounds like Sirius, you need to get your car checked out.

Here are some links for those interested in Sirius

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10909934/
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7221180/

Basically
If commercial free programming is more important than sound quality then get it. If sound quality is #1 on the list then get HD radio (if you were getting an 07 that is).

Quick Reply: SIRRIUS???