E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SIRRIUS???

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2006, 05:22 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 550 SMG

I am thinking of adding sirrius to my car, I have read in some posts about the low quality of sound. What are your opinions. I have not been able to find a BMW with sirrius installed to be able to hear it for myself. I am tired of the F.M. radio, its just crap anymore
Old 03-07-2006, 05:27 PM
Contributors

Highly recommend it. I barely listen to FM anymore. Just for Howard alone, it's worth having. Sounds great. I'm sure some audiophiles will pipe in here telling you how it sounds too digital or too manufactured for them but let me tell you, it sounds just great. You most definitely won't be sorry just for content alone.
Old 03-07-2006, 05:51 PM
Contributors

Overall I like it. But there are trade-offs.

The variety of music available is amazing, but the play-lists sometime seem even more "programed" than FM. And there is always something interesting to listen to on the sports stations or the entertainment channels.

The sound quality on music channels is very good but not great (about the same as FM). But some of the sports and entertainment stations sound like webcasts.

I've had not problems at all with reception drops.

Not having commercials on most of the music stations is a plus. But you do get them on many channels that are just network feeds (ESPN, CNN, for example)

Net, net - it's a good service and worth the price.
Old 03-07-2006, 06:16 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Get Sirius. You'll like it for more than just the music and on most music channels, the sound isn't always CD quality but it isn't horrible either...
Old 03-07-2006, 06:25 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 550i, Black/Black, every option except HUD

Siriusly enjoying it! I'm contemplating putting it in my wife's X5 as well.
Old 03-07-2006, 06:33 PM
Members

It is well worth it - sounds good for most of the music channels, but the content variety is what makes it worth it.
Old 03-07-2006, 06:44 PM
Contributors

I have a starmate replay Sirius radio in my 4 runner now. I purchased the lifetime plan for $499. That is the same amount as paying 12.99 for 38 months and I never have to make a payment again. I just hope that Sirius stays as a going concern for that long.

I play my radio thru the FM in my current car. So im sure the sound quality will be better when I get my new 550. About the same as FM quality.

The best part is no commercials on the music stations. Howard is a plus too. I HIGHLY recommend Sirius. I can't go back to commercials in radio again so HD is out for me. HD commercials is something I cant listen to. Ill just use my ipod if i want HD.
Old 03-07-2006, 07:58 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Originally Posted by katheikia' post='251401' date='Mar 7 2006, 08:22 PM
I am thinking of adding sirrius to my car, I have read in some posts about the low quality of sound. What are your opinions. I have not been able to find a BMW with sirrius installed to be able to hear it for myself. I am tired of the F.M. radio, its just crap anymore
Waste of money for me. The sound is poor (only a tad better than AM sound). If I want to listen to music, I would rather invest in an ipod and play mp3. Siriusly, a waste of money, IMO. :thumbsdown:

Howard? He's only contributing to the deterioration of society disguise as entertainment. With over a 100 channel, BMW gives you only 12 presets. What's up with that.
Old 03-07-2006, 08:26 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Bimmer32' post='251464' date='Mar 8 2006, 12:58 AM
Waste of money for me. The sound is poor (only a tad better than AM sound). If I want to listen to music, I would rather invest in an ipod and play mp3. Siriusly, a waste of money, IMO. :thumbsdown:

Howard? He's only contributing to the deterioration of society disguise as entertainment. With over a 100 channel, BMW gives you only 12 presets. What's up with that.

Bimmer...Do you have Sirius on your E60? Just Curious.
Old 03-07-2006, 08:36 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

Sirius has so much more content and I listen to it a lot, but here are the downsides -

Sound quality wise it is not as good as CDs, and sometimes not even as good as MP3s or FM.

The signal cuts out whenever there's no line of sight w/ the satallites (i.e. under overpasses, in tunnels, between buildings in manhattan, etc)

Quick Reply: SIRRIUS???