E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

SIRRIUS???

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2006, 11:13 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by Bimmer32' post='251932' date='Mar 8 2006, 11:38 PM
And the final complaint and probably not with Sirius per se: For every channel, you have to press "PLAY." It's not like FM where you can just god the dial (idrive and the station changes. In Sirius, you have to jog the channel, press idrive, and press "play." Now, that is a pain in the behind when you have over 100 channels to surf. :thumbsdown: You can't surf Sirius without taking your eyes off the road. :thumbsdown:

Someone say presets? There's only 12. Sirius in the E60 is a waste of money for my wants.
While I agree that there should be many more presets, you can "surf" either using all channels, categories, or presets. In other words, once you've selected all channels, you can use the steering wheel button to change up or down the "dial." The same works if you choose a specific category. Once that's done, you can limit your surfing to just that category, etc.
Old 03-08-2006, 11:37 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can the sound quality vary depending on where in the country you are located? I find it very hard to believe that some of you say the sound quality is worse than FM (some have even said it's like AM). In my car the sound quality is definately better than FM and close to CD, at least on the music channels that I listen to.
Old 03-09-2006, 03:04 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I doubt it can vary across the country but it clearly varies between channels. Some channels are use higher compression than others, etc.
Old 03-09-2006, 06:09 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530xiT Titanium Silver, 6-speed Manual, new style Start/Stop ignition, Black Dakota Leather, anthracite maple wood trim, heated seats front and rear, heated steering wheel, headlight washers, automatic tailgate, auto dimming mirrors, Logic 7, 6-disc changer, sport seats, shadow line trim, rear sun blinds, PDC, adaptive xenons, 18" style 123 wheels, , navigation, voice control, bluetooth, BMW roof rack + bike attachments,

In think sirius sound quality sucks. The L7 system helps a little but not much. I do however like the choice of programming, but not enought to renew the subscription when it expires. I would rather listen to cd's.
Old 03-09-2006, 06:52 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i with Sport Pkg, Nav, HUD, Cold Weather Pkg, Rear Shades

You guys hear about Sirius now getting rid of "commercial-free" on some music channels?? Basically now these channels will have commercials. How long before this happens to more channels??
Old 03-09-2006, 07:07 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by Bimmer32' post='251932' date='Mar 8 2006, 11:38 PM
Tin can is exactly the experience. I've tried almost every channel to listen to music, but I cannot distinguish a "stereo" sound at all. As for the Symphony, it's all :thumbsdown: too. The musical instruments cannot be easily distinguished.

Someone said Sirius is about content. Probably true, but Sirius have more music stations than talk shows. And the final complaint and probably not with Sirius per se: For every channel, you have to press "PLAY." It's not like FM where you can just god the dial (idrive and the station changes. In Sirius, you have to jog the channel, press idrive, and press "play." Now, that is a pain in the behind when you have over 100 channels to surf. :thumbsdown: You can't surf Sirius without taking your eyes off the road. :thumbsdown:

Someone say presets? There's only 12. Sirius in the E60 is a waste of money for my wants.
But you do realize that at least with the 12 presets you do not need to go thru those gyrations you described to listen to those 12, right?
Old 03-09-2006, 07:51 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Originally Posted by cobradav' post='252115' date='Mar 9 2006, 10:07 AM
But you do realize that at least with the 12 presets you do not need to go thru those gyrations you described to listen to those 12, right?
No, I still have to job the presets, press the idrive knob, and press "play." It's not true jog like the FM stations. Is there a way to have the channels jog like the FM stations?
Old 03-09-2006, 07:53 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='251991' date='Mar 9 2006, 02:13 AM
While I agree that there should be many more presets, you can "surf" either using all channels, categories, or presets. In other words, once you've selected all channels, you can use the steering wheel button to change up or down the "dial." The same works if you choose a specific category. Once that's done, you can limit your surfing to just that category, etc.
Thanks Rudy, I'll give a shot. Maybe now, Sirius can be "a little bit" more enjoyable.
Old 03-09-2006, 09:13 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 550 SMG

Thanks everyone. I am definitely not getting sirrius.
Old 03-09-2006, 09:23 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by Bimmer32' post='252140' date='Mar 9 2006, 11:51 AM
No, I still have to job the presets, press the idrive knob, and press "play." It's not true jog like the FM stations. Is there a way to have the channels jog like the FM stations?
I think Rudy answered your question, but just in case. I use the steering wheel up / down arrow while in Sat Radio Preset mode to move up and down the preset scale. The new audio comes on immediately, no futher action required on your part. Now I have not tried this if I set Sat Radio to categories or all channels so that may be a worth while test.

Quick Reply: SIRRIUS???