E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Sirius Sound Quality

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2005, 08:18 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 BMW 545i, Olivin Green, w/Sports Package, basic stereo, chrome wheels, tinted windows, Bluetooth enabled with Moto V710 (Verizon), Sirius Sat Radio (aftermarket), Auxiliary Input for Ipod.

Here is a web site that has lots of informations.

http://www.siriusbackstage.com/

I lose receptions when i'm under a bridge for an extended period of time. BUt in certain areas there are ground repeaters that the receiver recognizes. When i was in LV last month I found several repeater that enabled me to pick a signal when i was in a parking structure. Same thing in San Diego. However no one seems to know exactly where these repeaters are located.

My JVC receiver shows Sat signal as well as Repeater signal. Which ever is stronger the receiver uses that source. Once in a while I'll drive around to see where the repeater signal is strongest. From my research the downtown/populated area has most receivers.

Teriyaki

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Jan 5 2005, 04:01 PM
[quote name='sdpike' date='Jan 3 2005, 07:05 PM']One thing that bugs me is the reception. I think Sirius or maybe its BMW has some issues. I had XM radio on one of my cars and had better reception. I seem to lose reception if I get near any cover. With my XM I only lost it in full cover or traveling South East with minimal cover.

Anyone else have this issue?
[snapback]75209[/snapback]
I can't say (yet) much about the reception of the integrated Sirius but from what I understand, Sirius and XM use two different setups to blanket the country with signal. I'm not a rocket scientist but here's my understanding of the two systems:

Sirius has something like three satellites orbiting in an elliptical orbit. The way they are setup, there is supposed to be at least one (or maybe two) "birds" visible to your car no matter where you are. I remember reading that the orbits criss-cross in kind of a figure eight pattern across the country.

XM, on the other hand, uses two geostationary satellites that are always "hovering" above the same point (like television and photo imaging satellites) on the earth. Because XM signals can be blocked more easily in urban areas because of tall buildings, etc., they use ground based (terrestrial) repeaters in larger cities that re-broadcast the signal like more traditional radio stations.

When the systems were first turned up, XM had the poorer overall coverage because they hadn't installed repeaters everywhere. Sirius had better coverage from the outset.

Now, I imagine XM has caught up with the repeater installations but what I find interesting is that Sirius now has repeaters in some areas.

I guess your reception will vary based on your location, terrain, and proximity to a repeater.

Can anyone else offer corrections or shed some additional light on the subject?
[snapback]76063[/snapback]
[/quote]
Old 01-22-2005, 01:56 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 530i, Jet Black, Black Leather, Automatic, Cold Weather, Sirius Prep and Radio, Premium Package, Xenon Lights.

From a Sirius FAQ I just found:

The sound quality of Preview Channel 184 doesn?t seem as good as the other channels. Is that normal?

Yes. This is a perfect example of what Sirius calls ?statistical multiplexing?, except it is much less notice able on the other channels. Sirius is the only satellite service to allocate more bandwidth to the channels that need it most. Less bandwidth is assigned to the Preview Channel so more can be devoted to the music channels, yielding optimum sound quality. Think of it as all wheel drive for your music!
Old 01-22-2005, 03:34 PM
Contributors

I have Sirius and Logic 7, I like sirius for the content, especially no commercials, but I think the sound quality is not bad, but i wish it was better.

In terms of quality, I think CD is #1, FM #2 ans Sirius #3
Old 01-22-2005, 04:00 PM
Contributors

My E60 came equipped with Satellite Radio Prep and Premium Sound System, and I had the Sirius receiver installed last June. I love Sirius, and it's especially great to have it integrated into the car's sound system.

I have no complaints about the sound quality or reception of Sirius in my E60. The only time I lose reception is when I pull into my garage.

I also have a Sirius receiver attached to my Bose Radio at home. It loses reception fairly often...sometimes for just a few seconds and other times for more than 10 or 15 minutes. The problem may have to do with the position of the antenna or adjacent buildings. I haven't figured out a better position for the antenna that came with the home dock. I'm considering getting a roof antenna for Sirius, if my homeowners' association will allow it.

I miss Sirius the most when I drive a car without it. That's when I realize the value of its content over that of "free" radio.
Old 01-22-2005, 08:46 PM
Rob
Members

I would agree that CD is #1, FM is #2, and Sirius is #3. But, I still love it.

I have noticed that the sound seems worse in the morning. The afternoon commute seems better. Maybe it's just me.
Old 01-22-2005, 09:06 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I would swap Sirius to #2 and FM to #3. Keep in mind that Sirius varies compression on different streams. For example, talk only type channels sound worse than music ones.

My only complaint is that music streams are a bit "boomy" but with some minor adjustments, they still sound cleaner than FM...