E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Shuddering when slowing down

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2004, 06:47 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok heres the deal me and the wife went to amsterdam this past weekend and during this whole trip i noticed a couple of other things about my 5er: well when you slow down while in regular automatic mode it shudders before it comes to a stop!!! and another thing is that almost every peice of plastic in my 5er rattles when i drive over semi ruff terrain!!!now i know that things will shake if you drive over ruff terrain but i have had my 5er for three months and already its rattling like my $1000 golf.....any similar experiences?

Sorry i havent posted in a while or gotten back to anyone i have been gone on business.
Old 09-07-2004, 07:25 AM
Senior Members

think I had the shuddering once for a few seconds whilst slowing down quickly from motorway speeds, its never done it again. I just put it down to a quirk with the auto box's electronics, like I said never done it since so I didn't think anything of it. If yours is doing it all the time, take it to a dealer and see if the auto is logging any fault codes.

as for your rattles...depends where they are coming from, my rear shelf rattles a bit, but I only hear it if the audio is off, dealer had one go at fixing it, bit better now but not quite 100%. Only makes noise on rough roads, just put it down to the poor quality road surface and the 18" wheels on runflats sending the vibrations through the car. might get dealer to take another look sometime but I can easily live with it as its silent for 99% of the time.

Nothing else in the car rattles though, doors used to squeak badly but this was fixed easily by the widely discussed carbaflo treatment that it seems everyone's E60's on here have had.
Old 09-07-2004, 07:48 AM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

I also have more rattles in the car than I wished for.. I'm trying to live with it although it isn't easy.My windows still squick after the tape treatment...
Old 09-07-2004, 07:55 AM
Senior Members

My windows still squick after the tape treatment...
when do your windows squeak? when opening/closing or when driving along with them closed?

as stupid as it sounds with my last new car a lot of the initial rattles and squeaks disappeared after a few months once the car had settled down and worn in a bit...crazy i know but I have no other explanation, also I guess I had washed/cleaned it quite a few times in that period so that might have cleaned of any contaminents left over from manufacture/shipping.
Old 09-07-2004, 08:13 AM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

When I drive along they stilll squick. Opening and closing is no problem. When I open my window a little bit the squicking is gone too.. I'm gonna try to clean it toninght with some windowcleaner and see if it helps.
Old 09-07-2004, 08:23 AM
Senior Members

apologies to DAVEYBOY for going slightly OffTopic here.

530E60NL....you sure its the windows squeaking and not the door frames...ie the same old carbaflo fix? when my doors squeaked, even at low speed, opening the window always reduced or eliminated the squeak. If your dealer has already treated your doors with silicone remover then carbaflo, ask them todo it again and possibly come out on a test drive.

if you are not confident that they have applied the treatment correctly and to satisfy your own curiosity buy the parts yourself and treat the doors at home....at least then you know what's been done.

83 23 0 309 627 Carbaflo lubricant
83 19 9 407 906 BMW Silicone Remover

I bought the parts purely because it seemed like a good product and I thought it might come in handy in the future and save me a dealer visit if any other niggly little squeaks appear