E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Should I upgrade my 330 to 535?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 02:58 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceOmega' post='497223' date='Nov 21 2007, 10:32 AM
FWIW,

I bought an '06 330Xi in Jan 06, and traded that in for a 535Xi this past July. The catalyst for doing that was the harshness of the 330Xi over the roads in my area. I like firm, but not harsh. I had the standard 17" wheels and run flat all season tires, and even replaced the original Bridgestone Turanzas with Continental RFTs, but the 330Xi would periodically jar my teeth out on certain road irregularities. On those same roads and same irregularities, my wife's X3 was firm, but never had a hard hit like the 330Xi.
It seems like I'm not alone. I delayed upgrading my 2000 328i for a long time because the newer 3s seemed harsher.

I finally made a move this week as sort of a patch to an 04 545. If I was going to get something new I'd get the 535 though.

I like the 545 (a lot) for all the reasons listed, but I miss my 3 that I drove for 8.5 years - more than I though I would.
Old 11-24-2007, 06:56 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i, 6spd mtx, Monaco Blue w/Beige interior. Sport, Preimum, Logic 7/HD/I-Pod/USB, Nav sys, rear sunshade, HUD, PDC, Split seats,

Should I upgrade my 330 to 535?-dscn0307.jpg

NUFF SAID!!
Old 11-25-2007, 04:43 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i, platinum gray with cream beige dakota leather, premium, sport, comfort access, navigation, heated seats, sport auto with paddles, premium sound, sat radio, ipod

Originally Posted by BruceOmega' post='497223' date='Nov 21 2007, 10:32 AM
FWIW,

I bought an '06 330Xi in Jan 06, and traded that in for a 535Xi this past July. The catalyst for doing that was the harshness of the 330Xi over the roads in my area. I like firm, but not harsh. I had the standard 17" wheels and run flat all season tires, and even replaced the original Bridgestone Turanzas with Continental RFTs, but the 330Xi would periodically jar my teeth out on certain road irregularities. On those same roads and same irregularities, my wife's X3 was firm, but never had a hard hit like the 330Xi.

A related factor is the original Bridgestones quickly became unacceptably noisy. The Continentals were much quieter when I first got them, but even they seemed to gain a higher noise level over time, although never as bad as the Bridgestones. I did not have a problem with the noise of the car per se, but I found the road noise from the tires irritating.

I test drove a 535Xi before placing my order, and on a particular stretch of road where the 330Xi was noticeably harsh, the 535Xi was uncannily smooth and composed. In addition, the 535Xi was noticeably quieter.

There were other reasons I decided to go to the 535Xi, such as- higher seating position, which is more comfortable for me; easier ingress and egress; wider seats / more interior room; usable rear seat leg room; and a great balance of ride quality and handling. It's not unique to the 5 series, but another factor for trading up was it enabled me to get the new twin turbo engine, and I did not want a 335Xi.

I liked the look of the optional 18" wheels that were available for the 535Xi if you ordered the sports package, but that option comes with summer performance RFTs. I was very gun shy of RFTs from my 330Xi experience, and was concerened about lower profile tires for the roads I drive, so I stayed with the standard 17" wheels and Non RFT all season tires.

Interestingly, the top speed of the 535Xi with its standard wheels and tires is 150 mph while the top speed for the 330Xi with standard wheels and tires was 130 mph.

I love the 535Xi. It is especially impressive on the open road and long trips- extremely comfortable and stable, excellent handling, and plenty quiet. The power and responsiveness of the engine and AT is outstanding.

OTOH, the 330Xi was smaller, and felt a bit more maneuverable and agile, and is less expensive than a 5 series.

My decision to trade the 330Xi for the 535Xi was made independent of financial considerations.

Good luck,
Bruce
Bruce, that was an awsome post. Thanks very much for the comparative. Exactly the kind of insight I was looking for.
Old 11-25-2007, 05:07 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E90 330i + E60 550i

If you have Sport on the 330, I wouldnt bother. If you dont need the size, then the 330 sport can be a more fun car to drive. It wont have he torque like the 535, but the 330 feels light, and revs beautifully. Evertime I get behind the 330, I regret buying the 550,,,,just a tiny bit They are just two different tools for two different jobs.
Old 11-25-2007, 10:39 AM
Banned

I will say this even from just a few 1 week stints in 330/328 loaners. Forget about the power-The 535 will be way better in that department but I still found the 330 fun to drive-I have a 530 so power wise for me it was comparing the handling and driving because both had similar power.

Seriously the 3 is a fun car and I can see why you would fall in love with a 3-I probably will get a 3 because my next car I wont be able to afford a 535 or 550 so will go for a 335

But even taking into consideration it is just yourself with no family or need for people moving (I forget if you need more space or not for people) But as a single person who doesnt use the back seats 100 percent of the time, or even the passenger half hte time, the 5er is WAY more comfortable to drive and equally fun ONCE you are used to it. Assuming you get the sport-the sport package is an absolutely must or dont bother. The handling will actualy be better than your 330 agian once you get used to it-the ARS is an awesome option that is on the 5er sport and not the 3er-makes the 3er sport feel like it has no sway bars.

Anyway the big thing is getting used to being in the cabin of the 5-the cabin feels HUGE and gawky compared to the 3. And that was only after a few days in a 3. I cant imagine if you have owned one awhile-If you test rode a 5 you would think the thing felt absolutely huge and unmaneuverable-felt like a boat when I got in. But once you get used to it-it feels small and nimble to me now because you adapt and once you do adapt the 5er cabin is so much better. Even though not technically THAT much bigger, the room is well used. I am tall as well and you have plenty of space.

The comfort seats in a 5 make it worth the move to the car alone IMO-totally makes a difference. Once you are used to it there is nothing really better about a 3 than a 5 IMO. Unless you are a true track person who likes smaller cars but the fact of the matter the 3er is not much smaller than the 5 and handling is contraversial here but more are in favor and I am in favor of the sport 5 being the better of the 2 in handling.

So you will get a good power upgrade and size upgrade as well as maintain or improve handling. That is why its more expensive-its pretty much a better car all the way around