E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Should I upgrade my 330 to 535?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 07:15 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i, platinum gray with cream beige dakota leather, premium, sport, comfort access, navigation, heated seats, sport auto with paddles, premium sound, sat radio, ipod

I currently have an 06 330i, just two years old and only 32K miles, but lately I have had a bad fever to get a new 535. Am I crazy?

My 330i is realively new, is silver on grey leather with premium, cold weather and fold down rear seats. I love the car, it drives great, and it's almost paid for too! But I have had some problems with it and it's just kind of "flat" for me. I think the creak in the dash and misc problems (steering column, run flats, etc) have me sorta down on it. It's a wee bit small, but damn it drives good!

I am tempted to spring for a new 08 535, deep sea blue, tan or grey leather interior with premium, sport pkg, heated seats, logic 7 stereo, and fold down rear seats. I do hesitate, however, on the twin turbo technology, the idrive and the new set of run flats. I can only imagine a new car with so many bells will again have new problems. Upside is it is a little bigger, drives wonderfully and has that wow factor.

I'll hammer til I get a good deal on the 535, but even so the upgrade will cost me another 20 to 23K.

Any insight anyone can share? Thanks in advance.
Old 11-20-2007, 08:17 PM
Members

Originally Posted by wantmye90' post='497107' date='Nov 20 2007, 11:15 PM
I currently have an 06 330i, just two years old and only 32K miles, but lately I have had a bad fever to get a new 535. Am I crazy?

My 330i is realively new, is silver on grey leather with premium, cold weather and fold down rear seats. I love the car, it drives great, and it's almost paid for too! But I have had some problems with it and it's just kind of "flat" for me. I think the creak in the dash and misc problems (steering column, run flats, etc) have me sorta down on it. It's a wee bit small, but damn it drives good!

I am tempted to spring for a new 08 535, deep sea blue, tan or grey leather interior with premium, sport pkg, heated seats, logic 7 stereo, and fold down rear seats. I do hesitate, however, on the twin turbo technology, the idrive and the new set of run flats. I can only imagine a new car with so many bells will again have new problems. Upside is it is a little bigger, drives wonderfully and has that wow factor.

I'll hammer til I get a good deal on the 535, but even so the upgrade will cost me another 20 to 23K.

Okay, I love my 5er, but trading in an 06 330i just ain't smart.

If you want to upgrade - upgrade you suspension, install the M-tech package, upgrade the wheels, switch to non-runflats. Nothing handles better than a 3er with a great sport suspension.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:37 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Alpine White 550i Sport, Cream Beige Interior, 6-Sp Manual - retired 9/2011

Originally Posted by joewatch' post='497116' date='Nov 21 2007, 12:17 AM

If you want to upgrade - upgrade you suspension, install the M-tech package, upgrade the wheels, switch to non-runflats. Nothing handles better than a 3er with a great sport suspension.
Do it! I dumped my '07 335xi after one week for one of the last '07 530xi's on the lot...wish I had gotten the 535i or 535xi, though. Even still, I was glad I went to the E60. The size and comfort is so much better for me. It doesn't handle like the 3 series, so don't expect that....so it all depends on what you are looking for. It sounds like you are ready for the change!

I'll never go back to the 3 series, but it's still a great car.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:47 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by joewatch' post='497116' date='Nov 20 2007, 11:17 PM
Financial situation comes in to it ... does spending 20/30k mean you won't be able to make your mortgage payments or feed the kids? Then don't do it. Does spending 20/30k mean not buying a new diamond rolex? Then do it!

I've had three E60s in 4 years. I had an Audi I kept for 6 months and lost ?10k when I swapped it. To me, having the car I want means more to me than the money. If it is that way round for you then definitely do it!!
Old 11-21-2007, 12:23 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 520d Msport, Silver Grey, Amethyst Dakota Leather, 19" Mixed alloys, Media Pack, Visibility pack, Electric Memory seats, Heated Seats, Folding mirrors. 2007 320d Msport Touring, Sparkling Graphite, Lemon Dakota Leather, Comfort Access, Heated Seats. Westfield Megablade, Honda Fireblade 919cc engine, 135 BHP, 416 Kgs, FAST!!

Go for it! Get the 19" wheels which come with normal tyres, not run flats, the ride is even better!!
Old 11-21-2007, 12:47 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Russ1974' post='497144' date='Nov 21 2007, 06:17 PM
Financial situation comes in to it ...
You've made your mind up about the feature benefits of the 5 over the 3. Now you have to really seriously consider the point Russ raised. Can you afford? If so, at what threshold are you at on the 'affordability' scale? If you're thinking "wow, $20k burn is a fair bit, I can do it but.....", then don't do it. If you're thinking "wow, for only $20k burn I can get this new car that will serve me better...", then go for it!

I had my E60 540i for 4 months before I got my 550i. Yes, I burnt some dough, but I did it without hesistation as I believed the added value the car would give me justified it. Now, nearly 1 year of owning the 550i, I'm thinking of the new M3. The burn will be bigger as the 550i will be hard to sell over here. I'm hesitating as I think going from a 550i to an M3 is going to give me a lot of short term enjoyment but longer term regret....i'm still hesitating..
Old 11-21-2007, 06:32 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535Xi 2006 X3, wife's car

I currently have an 06 330i, just two years old and only 32K miles, but lately I have had a bad fever to get a new 535.
FWIW,

I bought an '06 330Xi in Jan 06, and traded that in for a 535Xi this past July. The catalyst for doing that was the harshness of the 330Xi over the roads in my area. I like firm, but not harsh. I had the standard 17" wheels and run flat all season tires, and even replaced the original Bridgestone Turanzas with Continental RFTs, but the 330Xi would periodically jar my teeth out on certain road irregularities. On those same roads and same irregularities, my wife's X3 was firm, but never had a hard hit like the 330Xi.

A related factor is the original Bridgestones quickly became unacceptably noisy. The Continentals were much quieter when I first got them, but even they seemed to gain a higher noise level over time, although never as bad as the Bridgestones. I did not have a problem with the noise of the car per se, but I found the road noise from the tires irritating.

I test drove a 535Xi before placing my order, and on a particular stretch of road where the 330Xi was noticeably harsh, the 535Xi was uncannily smooth and composed. In addition, the 535Xi was noticeably quieter.

There were other reasons I decided to go to the 535Xi, such as- higher seating position, which is more comfortable for me; easier ingress and egress; wider seats / more interior room; usable rear seat leg room; and a great balance of ride quality and handling. It's not unique to the 5 series, but another factor for trading up was it enabled me to get the new twin turbo engine, and I did not want a 335Xi.

I liked the look of the optional 18" wheels that were available for the 535Xi if you ordered the sports package, but that option comes with summer performance RFTs. I was very gun shy of RFTs from my 330Xi experience, and was concerened about lower profile tires for the roads I drive, so I stayed with the standard 17" wheels and Non RFT all season tires.

Interestingly, the top speed of the 535Xi with its standard wheels and tires is 150 mph while the top speed for the 330Xi with standard wheels and tires was 130 mph.

I love the 535Xi. It is especially impressive on the open road and long trips- extremely comfortable and stable, excellent handling, and plenty quiet. The power and responsiveness of the engine and AT is outstanding.

OTOH, the 330Xi was smaller, and felt a bit more maneuverable and agile, and is less expensive than a 5 series.

My decision to trade the 330Xi for the 535Xi was made independent of financial considerations.

Good luck,
Bruce
Old 11-23-2007, 07:39 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

yes
Old 11-23-2007, 07:49 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 10 Honda Fit Sport, 10 Honda Pilot Touring

Hmmmm ...e60 forum..should I get an e60??? Well yeah, of course... Don't lose your ass on the trade!!
Old 11-23-2007, 10:05 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

Want to take over my lease? I'm ready for an upgrade too!

Quick Reply: Should I upgrade my 330 to 535?