E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Should I go with no plate on the front bumper?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2006, 08:32 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 550i Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood Trim, Cold Weather Package, Premium Sound Package, Sport Package, Steptronic, Navigation, Electric Rear Sunshades, Heated Rear Seats, Sirius Radio

No front plate for me! I have driven without a front plate on my M3 and now my 550 for almost 4 years without a ticket. But every time I see a patrol car I think I'm going to get pulled over. The one time I was pulled over no mention was made of it.

Should I go with no plate on the front bumper?-img_1824_1.jpg
Old 06-08-2006, 08:45 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agree with others. Don't put the US plate on the front. It really breaks up the lines on the front. Especially if you have the M Aero kit. Mine is almost here. Hitting the dealer lot Saturday! Have to wait till next Thursday to pick up since I will be out of town on business M-W. I am having the dealer leave the plate off.

It is a fix it ticket here in Oregon. I have been pulled over once in 6 years on my M3 & M5. Just paid the fine and kept the plate off. Figure that was my donation to the county for not having the plate.
Old 06-08-2006, 09:11 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E60 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

Originally Posted by wnfield' post='294523' date='Jun 8 2006, 12:45 PM
Agree with others. Don't put the US plate on the front. It really breaks up the lines on the front. Especially if you have the M Aero kit. Mine is almost here. Hitting the dealer lot Saturday! Have to wait till next Thursday to pick up since I will be out of town on business M-W. I am having the dealer leave the plate off.

It is a fix it ticket here in Oregon. I have been pulled over once in 6 years on my M3 & M5. Just paid the fine and kept the plate off. Figure that was my donation to the county for not having the plate.
Just wonder, do you guys need the front plate to get the inspection sticker every year ??
Old 06-08-2006, 11:15 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

Just wonder, do you guys need the front plate to get the inspection sticker every year ??

Depends on which state. I live in Florida, and there are no front license plates. They only give you 1 plate at the DMV, and it is for rear.

In Florida, we also do not have inspections. So if you have illegal equipment, like front windshield tint.... it's basically impossible to get caught.
Old 06-08-2006, 11:52 AM
Members

My Ride: 06 530Xi w/ M-Sport Package 07 335i Cabriolet w/ M-Sport body kit

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' post='294590' date='Jun 8 2006, 03:15 PM
Depends on which state. I live in Florida, and there are no front license plates. They only give you 1 plate at the DMV, and it is for rear.

In Florida, we also do not have inspections. So if you have illegal equipment, like front windshield tint.... it's basically impossible to get caught.
In Ontario there is no annual inspection. Safety inspection is applicable only for change of ownership and license plate is not a safety item. Bi-annual emission test starts when the car turns 5 years old. Annual vehicle licence renewal sticker for passenger vehicles goes to the top right corner of the rear plate.

There have been numerous demands from sports and stylish vehicle owners to get rid of the front plate but the government has not responded. Quebec and some other provinces have already done that. May be the Ontario government is planning for the reintroduction of photo radar or something like that to steal money from our wallets.

I have driven without a front plate before, that was some 22 years ago in a 68 Firebird. I got a speeding ticket once and when the police asked me where was the front plate, I pulled it out from the back of the car and said it fell off. May be this time I'll say I have to wait for the new paint to dry!!
Old 06-08-2006, 12:58 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2010 523i. Alpine white, dakota leather, 8 speed auto, VDC, bluetooth, HID lights, parking sensors, sport seats, black window trim, tinted rear windows 1988 Ferrari 328 GTS, nero on rosso corsa. 1992 Mazda MX-5 / Miata 2009 Ford S-Max 2.5T

Maybe a stupid question - don't you have speed cameras in the US? In Europe they throw the book at you for no front plates because they think it's a speed camera trap avoidance thing.

--
Przemek
Old 06-08-2006, 03:17 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 550i White/Black, SMG, Sports Pkg, Comfort Access, Nav, HUD, Satellite Radio, Anthracite Maple Trim 2006 X5 3.0, Black/Black, Sports Pkg, Premium Pkg, Xenon Adaptive Headlight, NAV, Rear Climate Pkg, Anthracite Trim

Go with no front plate It looks cleaner
Attached Thumbnails Should I go with no plate on the front bumper?-m_kit_front_sideview.jpg  
Old 06-09-2006, 04:43 AM
Members

My Ride: 04 BMW 530i (6/04 built), M-tech kit installed, Prem pkg, Sports pkg, Logic 7 system, Aux input, 10.2 inch DVD player, auto rear shade with manual side shades, 6 speed auto, Oriental blue with Gray interior, and 35% window tints all over the car. 06 Yamaha FJR1300A 86 Kawasaki KZ100p

No front plate, if ur state law allows it. But in CA, front plate must! it is the law.

Like my friends who get pulled over for no plates wasted their half day away from their jobs and fines. Obey the law, then nothing else to worry about. I drilled my mtech bumper by myself.
Old 06-09-2006, 06:15 PM
Members

My Ride: 06 530Xi w/ M-Sport Package 07 335i Cabriolet w/ M-Sport body kit

Originally Posted by kjc625' post='295046' date='Jun 9 2006, 08:43 AM
No front plate, if ur state law allows it. But in CA, front plate must! it is the law.

Like my friends who get pulled over for no plates wasted their half day away from their jobs and fines. Obey the law, then nothing else to worry about. I drilled my mtech bumper by myself.

Does it mean we should never exceed the speed limit too???
Old 06-10-2006, 02:14 AM
Members

My Ride: 04 BMW 530i (6/04 built), M-tech kit installed, Prem pkg, Sports pkg, Logic 7 system, Aux input, 10.2 inch DVD player, auto rear shade with manual side shades, 6 speed auto, Oriental blue with Gray interior, and 35% window tints all over the car. 06 Yamaha FJR1300A 86 Kawasaki KZ100p

Originally Posted by Blah' post='295402' date='Jun 9 2006, 07:15 PM
Does it mean we should never exceed the speed limit too???
CA speed limit is not an absolute speed limit like other states. Any speed below 65mph (maximum speed in CA 22349 (a) VC) prosecution has to show your speed was unsafe at time of arrest / citation based on traffic condition and other factors such as road condition, lighting, weather and your own impairment. So it is different case comparing to front plate vs speeding issue here.

CA members, just put your plates on and worry free from the law!

Quick Reply: Should I go with no plate on the front bumper?