E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Shock replacement suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 05:27 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The car is a 2004 530i w/ sport package.

In need of a shock replacement. But, hesitant on which shocks to replace the OEM Sachs with.

Would Bilstein sports be compatible with the OEM sport springs? Trying to steer clear away from the OEM Sachs due to longevity issues...

Any input on which shocks would be greatly appreciated!
Old 03-04-2012, 05:51 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by J-aec
The car is a 2004 530i w/ sport package.
In need of a shock replacement. But, hesitant on which shocks to replace the OEM Sachs with.
Would Bilstein sports be compatible with the OEM sport springs? Trying to steer clear away from the OEM Sachs due to longevity issues...
Any input on which shocks would be greatly appreciated!
I've had good success with Bilstein shocks and struts. And, yes, the specific Bilstein is labeled sport for cars with the factory "sport" suspension. And they are certainly cheaper than "original" BMW struts/shocks but certainly the equal!
Old 03-04-2012, 10:56 PM
Members

Originally Posted by luigi524td
I've had good success with Bilstein shocks and struts. And, yes, the specific Bilstein is labeled sport for cars with the factory "sport" suspension. And they are certainly cheaper than "original" BMW struts/shocks but certainly the equal!

I thought so, thank you!
Old 03-07-2012, 08:16 PM
Members

Anybody out there tried Koni sports (w/ OEM sport springs)? On the fence between bilstein and koni...
Old 03-07-2012, 08:37 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Jet Black '05 545i, Sport/Premium Pkg, Steptronic, Adaptive Xenon, Nav, L7, Blue2th, PDC,

I'd second the Bilstein shocks. Performance wise they are a great replacement over OEM and, they should last you a fairly long time.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:40 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

it usually comes down between bilstein and koni for shocks. personally we've done more bilstein applications. if interested in some shocks since youre in LA, we can do install as well as we are located in Tustin.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:10 PM
Members

Update- 8/21

Based on the suggestions and research, I've decided to go w/ bilstein sports. I had doubts leading to the purchase because the majority pair these shocks with aftermarket lowering springs, which wasn't my intent. Plus, bilstein sports are known to provide a harsh ride (a la billie sports on a e36 M3). Currently, the billie sports have about 5k miles on them and paired w/ 150k mile OEM sport springs. Overall happy by the way it has been performing. Initially, the ride quality was a tad harsh and felt like the car had higher springs rates. But overtime with more miles, shocks settled and the ride became firm, but comfortable. The dampening is a lot better than the OEM Sachs and kept the car composed every time I drove over undulations or steel plates. Yet, it is firm enough to corner with confidence. Hope this info helps anybody who's facing the same dilemma I was dealing with.
Old 08-22-2012, 01:32 AM
Members

I have a 2009 E60 520d SE that I have recently had a set of Bilstein B6 dampers fitted to with the original OE springs. The car is a non-sport model.

The primary ride (the way the dampers deal with the the big hits) is very good but the secondary ride is very fidgety. It is certainly very firm but the upside is the improved handling. On balance I'm glad I made the change - the car had 106k miles on it when I fitted them and I want to get another 100k out of the car, hence the damper replacement.

If you do mainly motorway work I would probably go with the OE dampers.
Old 08-22-2012, 02:18 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i Alpine White

Update- 8/21

Based on the suggestions and research, I've decided to go w/ bilstein sports. I had doubts leading to the purchase because the majority pair these shocks with aftermarket lowering springs, which wasn't my intent. Plus, bilstein sports are known to provide a harsh ride (a la billie sports on a e36 M3). Currently, the billie sports have about 5k miles on them and paired w/ 150k mile OEM sport springs. Overall happy by the way it has been performing. Initially, the ride quality was a tad harsh and felt like the car had higher springs rates. But overtime with more miles, shocks settled and the ride became firm, but comfortable. The dampening is a lot better than the OEM Sachs and kept the car composed every time I drove over undulations or steel plates. Yet, it is firm enough to corner with confidence. Hope this info helps anybody who's facing the same dilemma I was dealing with.
Wished you updated sooner (j/k). I just replaced mine with Bilstein HDs. It puts me to sleep on the freeways, and floaty on dips. Maybe it needs more miles to settle.
Old 08-24-2012, 04:43 PM
Contributors

My Ride: .
Model Year: .

Update- 8/21

Very helpful. Good to know - I'll keep my sport springs and switch to Bilstein Sport shocks when the time comes.

Quick Reply: Shock replacement suggestions