E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Servotronic failure at 50,001 miles

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 08:03 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2004 (late in year) 525i Sport Package, Active Roll Stabilization, 6-speed manual

At 50,001 miles the Servotronic and ARS error lights came on.
The radio blasted loud static, and the key fobs stopped locking the car.

The local dealer wants to sell me a $2695 BMW extended warranty now,
and refuses to update CIP/ProgMan/ISIS/ISTA/ICOM.

They say they must replace the steering sensor - SZL for $1077 + labor,
and the ARS actuator for $405 + labor.
And new keys at $189 each x2.

AFTER this, they will be willing to update the CIP/ISIS for another $309.

This dealer charges $229 for an oil change, and has gone downhill since Hank Aaron owned it.

I find the concurrent timing of the multiple errors to be more than a coincidence, and asked the dealer to perform the CIP update first.
I have involved BMW NA, and the person I spoke with "knows very little about cars." I called BMW TechNet

BMW NA did call the dealer service manager, and now the dealer is quited pissed off, and told me it will take 7 hours to update ISIS.
He gave me a bunch of mumbo jumbo, and attitude about how screwed up BMW in Germany is, and that "updating the computer never fixes anything."

Frankly, I am quite turned off by all this. I own three BMWs, and have had a nice experience with my 740i, but at 100k, the electrical system began to erratically fail, and the dealer has never been able to fix the Check Engine light, nor the bad pixel problem in the dash. I showed them my research that it was a simple ribbon cable, but the dealer wants $800 to look at it.

While the 525i has been in the shop, I walked across the street. I have been test driving the new Lexus IS F with a 5.0 liter V8 and 416 horsepower, and the performance is very impressive.

I hate to "leave the family" becuase of crappy dealer service and crazy computer problems, but it may happen soon.

Any suggestions, help, or solutions would be welcomed.

Thank you.
Old 07-03-2009, 05:04 AM
Members

I would call another dealer and ask their opinion.
Old 07-03-2009, 05:16 AM
Contributors

Even though your BMW is 5-6 years old, you would expect certain parts to last a bit longer than 50K miles --- but the sad case is that they don't; every BMW model has its known weak points. And, alas, repair, out of warranty, is very expensive.

You should continue to ask BMWNA for some good-will consideration - it sometimes will get you a break.

Of course if you're already in debate with this dealer, if you can't make amends you might try to establish a better working relationship with another. In reality, they don't make 'em but sell and service cars. It's far better when all parties try to work toward a mutually acceptable solution. When one or more parties aren't in concert it's darned difficult if not impossible.

BTW, threatening to switch marques may not be the greatest or most effective tactic but you should always keep an open mind and both eyes open too. The "L" brand isn't without it's warts but it's a pretty OK collection of cars.

Good luck getting your current problems worked out and what ever decision you make on keeping or switching.
Old 07-03-2009, 05:32 AM
Senior Members

If it JUST went out of warranty (1 mile?), BMW should cover this as a goodwill.
If the time expired (which I suspect might be the case) I think you pretty much out of luck here.
Old 07-03-2009, 06:00 AM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

The whole thing sounds fishy to me. I would take the car to another dealer.
Old 07-03-2009, 11:08 AM
Members

Originally Posted by corgidog' post='931631' date='Jul 3 2009, 09:04 AM
I would call another dealer and ask their opinion.
I agree.

It just keeps getting worse with this dealer. Every time I call they dream up some new $1,000 repair, that is unrelated to the last one.

Plus they just look and act sleazy.
Old 07-03-2009, 11:48 AM
Contributors

murphys law at its finest.
Old 07-03-2009, 03:57 PM
Members

Originally Posted by luigi524td' post='931636' date='Jul 3 2009, 09:16 AM
Even though your BMW is 5-6 years old, you would expect certain parts to last a bit longer than 50K miles --- but the sad case is that they don't; every BMW model has its known weak points. And, alas, repair, out of warranty, is very expensive.

You should continue to ask BMWNA for some good-will consideration - it sometimes will get you a break.

Of course if you're already in debate with this dealer, if you can't make amends you might try to establish a better working relationship with another. In reality, they don't make 'em but sell and service cars. It's far better when all parties try to work toward a mutually acceptable solution. When one or more parties aren't in concert it's darned difficult if not impossible.

BTW, threatening to switch marques may not be the greatest or most effective tactic but you should always keep an open mind and both eyes open too. The "L" brand isn't without it's warts but it's a pretty OK collection of cars.

Good luck getting your current problems worked out and what ever decision you make on keeping or switching.
Thank you for the support and kind words.

I got the car back from the dealer today, and they charged me for the CIP/ISIS update, but when I checked it, it is now E060-05-06-510 which is CIP 19.00!!

They did nothing but take my money, and lose my business.

I made an appointment to see the GM of the dealership. I have bought 6 BMWs from them.

I am getting the feeling they don't care.

But I do, and now it is no longer about money, but commercial honesty and trust.

If it were about money, I would have never bought a BMW in the first place.

When you lose your reputation for quality and honesty, the customers will soon make other choices.
Old 07-03-2009, 04:56 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by 149' post='932038' date='Jul 3 2009, 07:57 PM

I got the car back from the dealer today, and they charged me for the CIP/ISIS update, but when I checked it, it is now E060-05-06-510 which is CIP 19.00!!

I made an appointment to see the GM of the dealership. I have bought 6 BMWs from them.

But I do, and now it is no longer about money, but commercial honesty and trust.

When you lose your reputation for quality and honesty, the customers will soon make other choices.
Bastards. Go get 'em. 6 BMWs from them? They can't treat you like that.
Old 07-03-2009, 05:10 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by 149' post='932038' date='Jul 3 2009, 07:57 PM

Keep at 'em and present your case as an informed consumer. It's all about the details and they probably already know you have more on the BMW ball than their SA. It sounds like your ducks are in line. If the dealer isn't interested in making things right you have at a minimum two options worth exploring:
1. "Formal" (politely - but firmly) written detailed complaint to BMWNA with cc to the Dealership GM.
2. Small claims court - this is really a consumer-oriented process, relatively inexpensive, and intended to keep lawyers out of the mix ... and trust me - IT WORKS!

Keep us posted. Thanks for your kind words and do try to enjoy the rest of the weekend - the weather seems willing to cooperate

Quick Reply: Servotronic failure at 50,001 miles