E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Service Engine Soon

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 02:49 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 525i

Greetings E60 community,
I had my"service engine soon" light come on recently. I own a 2006 525i (N52 engine). I pulled out the codes and I got the following:
2A98 - Crankshaft Inlet cams
2A82 - Vanos intake

I've read on them and all it says is to take out the solenoid and blow compressed air. There's no need to replace the solenoid on this type of engine. My warranty just ran out. I am looking to repair it myself. Do you guys know of the steps that should be taken to take out the solenoid?
Let me know

JP
Old 01-26-2011, 08:21 PM
Members

Were you able to fix it by cleaning them or did you have to eventually replace them? My light recently came on and then went away with no drivability issues. Today I went to BMW and had the codes read and among the ones listed are the same ones you had. So wondering if I should bring it in now. I have CPO but not sure if it will be covered under that.
Old 01-27-2011, 05:55 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

What did you use to pull the codes?

Assuming you can get to it, all you need to do is disconnect any wires and bolts holding it in place.

And solenoids do fail. You sure there isn't a sensor that may have been overlooked?
Old 01-27-2011, 08:09 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by callicles
Were you able to fix it by cleaning them or did you have to eventually replace them? My light recently came on and then went away with no drivability issues. Today I went to BMW and had the codes read and among the ones listed are the same ones you had. So wondering if I should bring it in now. I have CPO but not sure if it will be covered under that.
Are those emissions-related systems?
Old 01-27-2011, 03:30 PM
Members

I ran the code at the dealership cause I had to go in for some parts anyways and the code showed 2A82, 2A98, A379, A554 and A559. And the guy said I could bring it in for a diagnosis which would cost 130 and if it shows that it's covered by CPO then it'll only be 50. But thing is when it was cold two weeks ago, I had an incident of stalling and after restarting the service engine light came on for about two hours. Then it went away and it's stayed away since. And the car is fine otherwise so I'm wondering if it was just the cold weather. So thinking maybe it's nothing and just leave it and revisit if the issue comes back. So was wondering what triggered your codes.
Old 01-27-2011, 03:59 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by callicles
I ran the code at the dealership cause I had to go in for some parts anyways and the code showed 2A82, 2A98, A379, A554 and A559. And the guy said I could bring it in for a diagnosis which would cost 130 and if it shows that it's covered by CPO then it'll only be 50. But thing is when it was cold two weeks ago, I had an incident of stalling and after restarting the service engine light came on for about two hours. Then it went away and it's stayed away since. And the car is fine otherwise so I'm wondering if it was just the cold weather. So thinking maybe it's nothing and just leave it and revisit if the issue comes back. So was wondering what triggered your codes.
Your situation could be caused by the stall and restart. That could trigger temporary emissions codes. But so could a low battery or a lose gas cap or oil filler cap. BTW, emissions systems are covered under a longer warranty ... check your owner's manual and warranty booklet.
Old 01-27-2011, 04:22 PM
Members

Thanks for letting me know about the emissions warranty. Yeah I checked the gas cap right after and it was fine and looked at the battery indicator and it showed black (the last time I checked in the summer it was green) and so that's why I went to drive it around for a long time to try to charge it afterwards and after a couple of hours the service engine soon light dissapeared. The battery indicator is still black now and it's two weeks later so maybe about time to change it (the battery is just over 4 years old) but when they ran the codes it also showed battery voltage at 14.85 volts which seems okay. Anyways, the car is driving fine and always has except when it stalled and right after my mpg seemed to go down quite a bit. But it's normal so prob just keep an eye on it but if nothing else comes up, won't bother going into the dealer to get checked out. Thanks so much.
Old 02-11-2011, 04:46 AM
Members

So I finally brought my car in to have it checked since I'm planning on taking a long trip with it soon. They say they think it is the VANOS solenoid valves and it costs $600+ to replace them and they are not covered by the CPO warranty. And to make matters worse, they said if that does not clear the codes, they will have to take apart the CAM shaft and take a look there which will cost even more money. All this on a car that's not even 5 years old and less than 80,000 km!!!