E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Seized Engine? Worst case senario?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 08:53 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Went on vacation for 3 weeks, came back and drove about 3kms, and my car starting shaking, smoking and my stopped. trying starting it up agian and it wouldnt even crank. looked at the oil level and it was really low, way below min. which is strange because the oil level was fine 3 weeks ago before i left. Power windows and lights still worked so its not the battery.

Im not sure, does anyone think its a seized engine becuase of the low oil level? anyone ever encounter this? whats and engine worth on a e60?
Old 02-24-2010, 04:15 AM
Members

My Ride: E61 545i Sport Touring

Looks a cert for a new engine. What is worrying is you not getting a prior warning of low oil and oil pressure. Sorry no idea of costs but it will make you cry.
Old 02-24-2010, 05:45 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Originally Posted by hamz98
Went on vacation for 3 weeks, came back and drove about 3kms, and my car starting shaking, smoking and my stopped. trying starting it up agian and it wouldnt even crank. looked at the oil level and it was really low, way below min. which is strange because the oil level was fine 3 weeks ago before i left. Power windows and lights still worked so its not the battery.

Im not sure, does anyone think its a seized engine becuase of the low oil level? anyone ever encounter this? whats and engine worth on a e60?
Very, very, bad.

Estimate for a new BMW engine and labor to install it?? I'd say at least 5k - and that's a conservative guess.

You might be able to find a shop that sells rebuilt motors
Old 02-24-2010, 06:17 AM
Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i M Sport

Originally Posted by pukka
Very, very, bad.

Estimate for a new BMW engine and labor to install it?? I'd say at least 5k - and that's a conservative guess.

You might be able to find a shop that sells rebuilt motors
Motor itself on ebay is about $5K. Motor as a part (rebuilt one) from BMW is $20K. Complete new engine from BMW is 35K!!!!! those are prices for N62 V8 Pricey!!!
I still hope we all are mistaken but it will seriously hurt Your wallet. How many miles on the car? Are You past warranty?
Old 02-24-2010, 08:02 AM
Contributors

My Ride: F90 M5 Singapore Grey Executive package blacked out grill, body matched paint
Model Year: 2019

Old 02-24-2010, 08:26 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 BMW M5

where a u located?... is your e60 545i?
Old 02-24-2010, 10:24 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '06 550i '84 Nissan S12 Turbo

Can the motor be turned over by hand, by either bumping the starter or physically turning it by hand by rotating the crank pulley by the bolt with a wrench and breaker bar? If so, then it's not seized
Old 02-24-2010, 10:44 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by hamz98

Wow, not good. I am surprised that you did not get a warning message from car about the low oil...
Old 02-24-2010, 11:15 AM
Members

wow this could be a pricey fix. My oil sensor level did work, it would go off periodically every 6 months to a year, and i would fill a quart. (heard that was normal). I just checked the spot i was parked in for the past 3 weeks and there is so evidence of an oil leak (but then agian isnt the bottom of the car covered by plastic?)

There is 65000 miles on the car, no more warrenty ... whats the difference between the 5k motor on ebay and the rebuilt one for the $20k from bmw? ....Im hoping to get a word from my mechanic sometime soon, so ill probably have to begin motor shopping :/

Originally Posted by rafichicago
Motor itself on ebay is about $5K. Motor as a part (rebuilt one) from BMW is $20K. Complete new engine from BMW is 35K!!!!! those are prices for N62 V8 Pricey!!!
I still hope we all are mistaken but it will seriously hurt Your wallet. How many miles on the car? Are You past warranty?
Old 02-24-2010, 11:21 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 BMW M5

please tell me where are you in Alberta? I can help you for that because I am in Calgary. and what is your e60?

Quick Reply: Seized Engine? Worst case senario?