E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Seats Too Low

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2005, 05:10 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 525i Titanium Silver, All Weather, XM (Aftermarket)

Hi Boardbuds,

I have an issue and I wanted to get the pro's (you all) thinking about this one.

I am accustomed for 15 years with Volvo's (3). The seats are to die for. The one notable feature is that the seat raise so high that your legs (knees) can be bent to nearly 90 degrees... This is very easy on my back and allows for many hours of comfortable driving. The interior head room allows for the seat height...

My E60 seats do not raise to the level of the Volvos. Not even close. However, this model 5 has more headroom then its predecessor, and I have 1-2 inches of headroom.

Here is the 64,000 question....Can the seats be raised? I was thinking that the controls and mechanism of the seat probably limit it's minimum-maximum "span" if you will...BUT what if I raised the entire seat 1-2 inches from the current placement on the floor. If I am right, the lowest seat position would be 2 inches higher then the low is now, but the high level would be 2 inches higher then it is now (which is what I want)...

I believe there is enough leg/knee room to handle raising everything up 2 inches...including correct steering wheel position, etc. Can this be done? If so, what are the options/methods and is it something that the average authorized (non-dealer) BMW repair shop would be able to tackle? I'm assuming the dealer wouldn't touch this one with a 10' poll since it probably will invalidate at least some part of a warranty?

Thanks for reading this long post and any suggestions! All the best, Mark.
Old 12-08-2005, 05:14 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by mleuba' post='208950' date='Dec 8 2005, 09:10 PM
Hi Boardbuds,

I have an issue and I wanted to get the pro's (you all) thinking about this one.

I am accustomed for 15 years with Volvo's (3). The seats are to die for. The one notable feature is that the seat raise so high that your legs (knees) can be bent to nearly 90 degrees... This is very easy on my back and allows for many hours of comfortable driving. The interior head room allows for the seat height...

My E60 seats do not raise to the level of the Volvos. Not even close. However, this model 5 has more headroom then its predecessor, and I have 1-2 inches of headroom.

Here is the 64,000 question....Can the seats be raised? I was thinking that the controls and mechanism of the seat probably limit it's minimum-maximum "span" if you will...BUT what if I raised the entire seat 1-2 inches from the current placement on the floor. If I am right, the lowest seat position would be 2 inches higher then the low is now, but the high level would be 2 inches higher then it is now (which is what I want)...

I believe there is enough leg/knee room to handle raising everything up 2 inches...including correct steering wheel position, etc. Can this be done? If so, what are the options/methods and is it something that the average authorized (non-dealer) BMW repair shop would be able to tackle? I'm assuming the dealer wouldn't touch this one with a 10' poll since it probably will invalidate at least some part of a warranty?

Thanks for reading this long post and any suggestions! All the best, Mark.
I have no doubt that what you want to do can be done. Take it to a customizer or some such outfit. I do question the safety of driving with one's legs at 90 degrees. Doing so might be sort of OK on an empty highway, but, even then, what if ...? You could always find some sort of thick seat cushion, but this solution would not be particularly pleasing aesthetically.