E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Seatbelt ticket...

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 01:24 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ressla' post='725528' date='Nov 19 2008, 04:42 PM
It all depends on how much $120 is worth to you . If you go to court it will invariably take up at least half a day, if not a whole day , once travelling time , waiting time etc are factored in.

If $120 is more than a days pay then you could contest it ( though you agree you are guilty).
If it's less than a days pay, and points are not involved, then don't expend anymore brainpower and just pay the fine.
its not the actual $120 its the fact that can think of 100 things better to do with $120 (like maybe some mods for the e60!)
Old 11-19-2008, 01:32 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Mach5 05' 530i Black Sapphire Metallic w/Auburn Leather Seats, Heated Front/Rear Seats, Cold Weather Pkg, Premium Pkg, Sports Pkg, Xenon Headlights, NAV, Mud Flaps, 20" 166 Style Rims
Model Year: 2005
Engine: N54

Originally Posted by unknown' post='725494' date='Nov 19 2008, 04:05 PM
I understand your point and agree with you on insurance premiums? but a collision and seat belt citation are two different matters. And not to get into a whole dissertation, my simple point was that government passes too many nonsense feel good legislation and then it becomes a revenue generating tool. Seatbelt, in this case is now a primary offence! Every time these self righteous politicians pass stupid laws, we erode our freedom and liberty. Why is it that the government knows what's best for us?? Smoking bans, transfat ban, salt bans, mcdonalds ban, you get my drift? but where does it end? Do we need to live our lives like robots? Whatever happened to individual responsibility and accountability?

Can't disagree with you where the government is concerned. However the american public has allowed them to dictate to us.
Old 11-19-2008, 01:33 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by pgetsch' post='725543' date='Nov 19 2008, 04:58 PM
to all those that agree with me, i found a great item if you want to stop the chime when you DONT want to wear a seatbelt...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Seatbelt-wa...sQ5fAccessories
That is insane, I can't believe that would actually sell that. BTW did you guys know that about about 90 seconds, the seatbelt chime goes away. "A friend" I know, was very drunk in a passenger seat to the point where he could not put on his seatbelt (passed out), and if you tried to wake him up he would feel nauseous and almost threw up. So after driving for more than 90 seconds the seatbelt chime went away. But they were very very annoying 90 seconds.

IceyTy: "+100 I whole heartedly agree, if a grown person decides not to wear his seatbelt that his choice whether it be dumb or not, a minor thats a different story."
In Ontario, health benefits are free when you pay taxes. No one knows exactly how much he/she pays to the government annually to "fix" people who have been in accidents, etc. However, if some dumb F$%^ chooses to not wear a seatbelt, then crashes and everyone's money has to be spent on his rehab for the rest of his miserable life, then I certainly have a problem with that.

On top of that, family and friends will be devestated, lives ruined, only because he/she felt that wearing a seatbelt should be a freedom of choice.
Seatbelts save lives - Period.

Watch this:
Old 11-19-2008, 01:44 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by ktlocklear' post='725508' date='Nov 19 2008, 04:12 PM
so....you feel the same way about child seats? Same thing......it's the law. Regardless of it being the law....it's common sense. Why take a chance? Everytime I see a little kid standing in the floor peeking over the dash, makes me want to slap the parent in the back of the head.
You?re not getting my drift? it?s when the law evolves to be used as a tool to generate revenue and no longer a mandate for its original intent. And not all laws are good? if a law was passed to kill your parents when they turn 65, would you follow through knowing this was the LAW?

And matter of fact, it is none of your concern if a parent doesn?t uses a child seat. God forbid something happens to that child, it is the parents? fault, and not the society! Think about it?What right do you really have to dictate someone else what to do? Im not arguing that we shouldn?t have laws, but the government has now become our mother, father, brother, sister, and tax collector.

I ask again, where is the individual responsibility and accountability?
Old 11-19-2008, 01:54 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Mach5 05' 530i Black Sapphire Metallic w/Auburn Leather Seats, Heated Front/Rear Seats, Cold Weather Pkg, Premium Pkg, Sports Pkg, Xenon Headlights, NAV, Mud Flaps, 20" 166 Style Rims

Originally Posted by unknown' post='725590' date='Nov 19 2008, 05:44 PM
You're not getting my drift? it's when the law evolves to be used as a tool to generate revenue and no longer a mandate for its original intent. And not all laws are good? if a law was passed to kill your parents when they turn 65, would you follow through knowing this was the LAW?

And matter of fact, it is none of your concern if a parent doesn't uses a child seat. God forbid something happens to that child, it is the parents' fault, and not the society! Think about it?What right do you really have to dictate someone else what to do? Im not arguing that we shouldn't have laws, but the government has now become our mother, father, brother, sister, and tax collector.

I ask again, where is the individual responsibility and accountability?
Wait until they tell you not to smoke around your kids in the vehicle or your home, its coming!
Old 11-19-2008, 02:06 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by tprenaldo' post='725573
Wait until they tell you not to smoke around your kids in the vehicle or your home, its coming!
you are very smart my friend that's the whole premise of my argument... soon they will tell us what to eat, when to crap, when to wipe, when to sleep, ect... let us not blindingly follow the pied piper...
Old 11-19-2008, 02:31 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by tprenaldo' post='725599' date='Nov 19 2008, 05:54 PM
Its already in effect in several provinces. You can't smoke in cars with kids ... no bad logic in that? I'm a smoker and I will never smoke with my kids in the car, or if someone in the car is a non-smoker.
Old 11-19-2008, 03:19 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by unknown' post='725610' date='Nov 19 2008, 06:06 PM
you are very smart my friend that's the whole premise of my argument... soon they will tell us what to eat, when to crap, when to wipe, when to sleep, ect... let us not blindingly follow the pied piper...

We need a V for Vendetta movement in this country!!
Old 11-19-2008, 03:25 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by andy535xi' post='725624' date='Nov 19 2008, 06:31 PM
Its already in effect in several provinces. You can't smoke in cars with kids ... no bad logic in that? I'm a smoker and I will never smoke with my kids in the car, or if someone in the car is a non-smoker.

First no such law in the U.S. yet!! Second you can't legislate common sense.
Old 11-19-2008, 03:35 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 545i Sport

It's a law in California. No smoking in the car with kids.

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?section=...&id=5869495

Quick Reply: Seatbelt ticket...