E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Seatbelt ticket...

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 11:41 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Alpine White/Biege 545i, CWP, Nav, Active Steering, Auto Step ordered 2/1/05

Originally Posted by pgetsch' post='724284' date='Nov 18 2008, 02:45 PM
anyway, luckly its not points and it wont be on my license. i will plead not guilty and at least make the officer show up....maybe he wont and ill get off.
Since this would not add any points on your driving history, if I was you, I would weigh the worth of spending 2 hours (I assume) of your time against potentially saving $120. But that's just me.
Old 11-18-2008, 06:56 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E46 325i Touring E60 530i Sedan

It used to be that you had to be pulled over for a moving violation before they could cite you for not wearing a seat belt. That was changed a couple of years ago iirc.
You should just wear your seat belt next time. It'll save you $120 and maybe your life
Old 11-19-2008, 07:05 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '06 550i '84 Nissan S12 Turbo

I'd rather pay $120 for not wearing a seatbelt, than the $130 I'm about to pay for not coming to a complete stop at a stop sign the other night on my way home from work
Old 11-19-2008, 07:28 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Mach5 05' 530i Black Sapphire Metallic w/Auburn Leather Seats, Heated Front/Rear Seats, Cold Weather Pkg, Premium Pkg, Sports Pkg, Xenon Headlights, NAV, Mud Flaps, 20" 166 Style Rims
Model Year: 2005
Engine: N54

Originally Posted by unknown' post='724182' date='Nov 18 2008, 01:27 PM
+1
we have too much government intrusion on our lives...

I'll agree with the fact that there is too much government intrusion into our lives aka Big Brother, V for Vendetta. Furthermore if the insurance companies were set up like the military in that if something happens to you due to your own negligence then you don't reap the rewards of an insurance payout, then that attitude would work.

However, the rest of the civilian world doesn't work that way. I, we all pay for each others insurance. Ask your insurance company. All those uninsured motorists out there, we pay for. If I never get a traffic citation or involved in a traffic collision(that's right collision, no such thing as an accident!) do you think my insurance will lower my rates? Your insurance rates are not just based on your record in a vacum, it's based on the demographics in the area you live and drive.

So if the insurance companies would just get on board with the military, and not pay out when you decide not to adhere to the rules of the road, then I would agree with your statement.

On the issue of your seatbelt citation, like I've always said, take it to court. Always go to court on any citation you receive!
Old 11-19-2008, 07:46 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by pgetsch' post='724116' date='Nov 18 2008, 01:15 PM
with all do respect i was not asking for a lesson in seatbelt safety. i was wondering if anyone had any luck fighting a seatbelt ticket. whether i wear a seatbelt or not is of no one elses concern. it does not make me a safer driver nor does it subject anyone else on the road to any danger. to all of those who have an issue with me not wearing my seatbelt please think back to all the times you have driven a car after having a beer with dinner or maybe were talking on the phone while racing to work at 70 mph. i will bet my next paycheck that when it comes to driving no one here has followed each and every traffic law so please do not preach to me about safe driving practices.

anyway, has anyone had any luck fighting a seatbelt ticket?

sorry guy that statement is not true
it is of my concern if you dont wear your seat belt, because if your unlucky enough to hit my car then i have to live with the fact that an accident i was involved in resulted in a "possible" death or disfigurment of you. way more so than if you were properly restrained.

and i dont know if your aware but in our cars (E60) if your not waring your seatbelt then your airbag might not go off as its linked to the seat belt pre tensioners, and they "talk" to each other

over to you.
Old 11-19-2008, 12:05 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by tprenaldo' post='725166' date='Nov 19 2008, 11:28 AM
I'll agree with the fact that there is too much government intrusion into our lives aka Big Brother, V for Vendetta. Furthermore if the insurance companies were set up like the military in that if something happens to you due to your own negligence then you don't reap the rewards of an insurance payout, then that attitude would work.

However, the rest of the civilian world doesn't work that way. I, we all pay for each others insurance. Ask your insurance company. All those uninsured motorists out there, we pay for. If I never get a traffic citation or involved in a traffic collision(that's right collision, no such thing as an accident!) do you think my insurance will lower my rates? Your insurance rates are not just based on your record in a vacum, it's based on the demographics in the area you live and drive.

So if the insurance companies would just get on board with the military, and not pay out when you decide not to adhere to the rules of the road, then I would agree with your statement.

On the issue of your seatbelt citation, like I've always said, take it to court. Always go to court on any citation you receive!
I understand your point and agree with you on insurance premiums? but a collision and seat belt citation are two different matters. And not to get into a whole dissertation, my simple point was that government passes too many nonsense feel good legislation and then it becomes a revenue generating tool. Seatbelt, in this case is now a primary offence! Every time these self righteous politicians pass stupid laws, we erode our freedom and liberty. Why is it that the government knows what?s best for us?? Smoking bans, transfat ban, salt bans, mcdonalds ban, you get my drift? but where does it end? Do we need to live our lives like robots? Whatever happened to individual responsibility and accountability?
Old 11-19-2008, 12:12 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '06 550i '84 Nissan S12 Turbo

so....you feel the same way about child seats? Same thing......it's the law. Regardless of it being the law....it's common sense. Why take a chance? Everytime I see a little kid standing in the floor peeking over the dash, makes me want to slap the parent in the back of the head.
Old 11-19-2008, 12:42 PM
Members

My Ride: Sept '06 535d M sport ,Silver ,Black Dakota Leather,HUD ,TV, Media ,Visibility,Heated F+R seats,Comfort Seats, Active seats ,Sun protection glass,Dark Poplar wood, sunroof ,Elec Sunblinds , Folding mirrors, 19" 172s ,Extended lights Package, Debadged

It all depends on how much $120 is worth to you . If you go to court it will invariably take up at least half a day, if not a whole day , once travelling time , waiting time etc are factored in.

If $120 is more than a days pay then you could contest it ( though you agree you are guilty).
If it's less than a days pay, and points are not involved, then don't expend anymore brainpower and just pay the fine.
Old 11-19-2008, 12:58 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

okay since i started this post with a simple question on how to beat a seatbelt ticket i will respond with a few answers and comments....

tprenaldo- "if the insurance companies were set up like the military in that if something happens to you due to your own negligence then you don't reap the rewards of an insurance payout"

Auto insurance protects you against financial loss if you have an accident/collison. It is a contract between you and the insurance company. You agree to pay the premium and the insurance company agrees to pay your losses as defined in your policy. How that has any relation to the military beyond me. If i pay a premium, regardless of the type of insurance, i expect to get paid if and when an ACCIDENT happens. I just got engadged and decided to put her ring under my umbrella insurance of the house. If the ring is dropped down the drain (her negligence) I will and should get paid for that ring...thats why i am paying the premiums.

dr dave- "sorry guy that statement is not true. it is of my concern if you dont wear your seat belt, because if your unlucky enough to hit my car then i have to live with the fact that an accident i was involved in resulted in a "possible" death or disfigurment of you. way more so than if you were properly restrained"

okay guy, i thank you for your concern about my well being...oh wait, your concern was how YOU would feel if I got KILLED. like i said there is no direct threat to you when im not wearing a seatbelt, if your only problem or arguement to me or anyone for that matter not wearing a seatbelt is how it would affect your emotional state then all i have to say is that your way to concerned with things you cant control. lighten up, if someone jumps out of your office building is it going to bother you that you didnt have a chance to catch him? or if someone steals your car and runs an old lady over are you not going to be ok knowing it was your car? somethings you cant control so dont waste time worrying about it.

enough preaching from me, sorry if i went off on a tangent there....

to all those that agree with me, i found a great item if you want to stop the chime when you DONT want to wear a seatbelt...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Seatbelt-wa...sQ5fAccessories

hahaha....i must be like the devil to some of you guys huh?
Old 11-19-2008, 01:05 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ktlocklear' post='725508' date='Nov 19 2008, 04:12 PM
so....you feel the same way about child seats? Same thing......it's the law. Regardless of it being the law....it's common sense. Why take a chance? Everytime I see a little kid standing in the floor peeking over the dash, makes me want to slap the parent in the back of the head.
i couldnt agree more...all children should be safely stored in the trunk

Quick Reply: Seatbelt ticket...