E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Seat Heater Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 04:38 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow. I'm going to have to check this out again. I was certain they were not heated but if Rudy and Jonathan say they are heated I must be missing something. It is certainly cold enough in Atlanta (24 degrees) to use them.
Old 02-28-2008, 04:56 AM
Members

My Ride: Fast!
Wow this is great, I'm finding out the answer to my question, and I'm stumping the gang and making them think and work. Call me sick if you want, but I know I like a challange once and a while.

Thank you everyone for your time and replies!

I love this place...pass me another martini!
Old 02-28-2008, 05:31 AM
ipp
Senior Members

My Ride: 07' 530d - M-Sport - Titanium Silver / Black Dakota leather 08' 120i - M-Sport - Alpine White III / Black Sensatec

Comfort seats thigh bolsters are heated. Else I would be dead, I'm from Sweden.
Old 02-28-2008, 06:20 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: F11 -14

Originally Posted by ipp' post='537190' date='Feb 28 2008, 03:31 PM
Comfort seats thigh bolsters are heated. Else I would be dead, I'm from Sweden.
... he says after experiencing the warmest winter for 200 years...
Old 02-28-2008, 06:23 AM
Members

My Ride: F11 520d

:

I just drove from office to home and made a test with empty co-driver seat. Car was outside whole day (only -1c today). After 3-4 minutes with full power I could feel with my hand that thigh bolster were still cold like the side bolsters and upper part of the back rest. The heated part of the seat was really warm and driver seat was already turned lower power, because I do not like so hot seat. Based on this test I can say they are not heated in my car or heater efficiency at thigh bolster are is useless. My car is MY06 from Sweden, so LCI cars are different or my seat heater is broken.

At begin on the winter I though that tight bolster is heated, but it was only my legs heating that part
Old 02-28-2008, 08:15 AM
Senior Members

Yes mine are.

Regards,
Old 02-28-2008, 08:35 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i E60 Orient Blau Metallic Premium, NAV, Winter Package, Heads Up Display, Logic 7 Audio, AngeliBright Upgrade [White], M5 Body Kit, M Embroidered Seats

I LOVE IT!!! Controversy...

...I highly respect the Mods here [Rudy, that means you], so I went out and checked again this morning. Started the car, turned on both seat heaters [Passenger and Driver], waited a few minutes and then -- with my bare hand...felt the thigh bolster first [cold], then the seat [warm], and then the back [warm]. I also went into the iDrive and checked the distribution of the seat heater, turned it on MAX on the seat bottom and still nothing.

Either my stuff isn't working or there's a difference in MY E60s. I have a 2005 545i. The guys that have this working, what model years are yours????
Old 02-28-2008, 08:40 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i, Carbon Black, Black Dakota, Black Diamond Trim, 6sp Sport Automatic with Paddles, M-Sport Package, Premium Package

Originally Posted by subarashi' post='537261' date='Feb 28 2008, 09:35 AM

...I highly respect the Mods here [Rudy, that means you], so I went out and checked again this morning. Started the car, turned on both seat heaters [Passenger and Driver], waited a few minutes and then -- with my bare hand...felt the thigh bolster first [cold], then the seat [warm], and then the back [warm]. I also went into the iDrive and checked the distribution of the seat heater, turned it on MAX on the seat bottom and still nothing.

Either my stuff isn't working or there's a difference in MY E60s. I have a 2005 545i. The guys that have this working, what model years are yours????
I think that my car is either broken or somehow different from the factory. I cranked my heat, redistributed it through Idrive to maximum seat, no back. My butt is cooking!! Still nothing on my thigh support. I have a 2008 535.
Old 02-28-2008, 03:30 PM
Members

My Ride: Fast!

Originally Posted by subarashi' post='537261' date='Feb 28 2008, 12:35 PM

I love it too, now that we are getting so many varying answers, we need...ok it would be nice... to narrow it to a model/year like you said. I have an '05 545. I'm going to go out to my car and hook up the voltage meter to the plug under the bolster and see if I get anything when I turn them on.

More later!

Ok I'm back, I like the "Edit" button on this thing! Well the voltage jumps for a fraction of a second then stays at zero. Even if iDrive is at full bottom. Next I will supply some dc voltage to the other side of the plug and see if it heats. As I'm typing this I'm wondering what difference does it really make!! If it does heat, it's not like I'm going to keep a spare car battery in the front seat floor where there already isn't enough room for my wifes purse if she ever were to ride in my car!!

More later...
Old 02-28-2008, 08:52 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

The following two documents are instructions on how to remove the padding for the thigh support on the comfort seat or on the sport seat. Pay particular attention to the section that describes the procedure for version with heating...

Comfort seat:
RA__Replacing_padding_for_front_seat_thigh_support__comfort_.pdf
Sport seat:
RA__Replacing_padding_for_front_seat_thigh_suppor__sport_.pdf

As I said before, I don't think just feeling the seat with your hand is enough of a test. I think the heat transfers faster/better if some weight is applied to the heated area. That's why the seat bottom feels like it heats up more than the bolster -- because your body weight is pressing down on the seat bottom...

P.S. - DWS545, aren't you glad you asked this one?

Quick Reply: Seat Heater Question