E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Saw a facelift 5 series today

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 07:49 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm wondering if the interior updates will follow the new X5 interior. My last 5 series was a 1999 model which I loved. I've always felt the current E60 had a cheapened interior compared to my old car. I have need to pull a medium size trailer, so an E60 won't work for me. I've been looking at the new X5. What I've noticed is the interior is very nicely done - nicer than the E60 in my opinion. The toggle shifter is an interesting piece of technology - one that may confuse. To back up, you press the thumb button and move the lever forward. To go forward, you press the thumb button and move the lever backward (like you would in a regular car). I found myself putting the car in a firward gear a few times when I meant to back up. Personally I think the lever should be pulled back to go back and pushed forward to go forward. In any event, a slick piece of technology which works well and will be welcomed in the E60. Meanwhile, the updated interior will be a great improvement to the current E60. Now if I could somehow get a hide away hitch in N.A.
Old 12-11-2006, 07:52 AM
Members

My Ride: Soon to be delivered 523iA

Originally Posted by colejl' post='365790' date='Dec 10 2006, 11:14 PM
I have a diesel myself, but it makes financial sense in the UK anyway... However, both diesel and petrol are equally as bad really. Both emit carcinogens and 'greenhouse' gases. There was a great article I read a while back entitled, "Choose your poison"...
Actually current Diesel engines are much worse on the environment than petrol cars. They are quite popular in Europe mostly due to fuel taxes that make Diesel fuel artifically cheap: in Germany, you pay approx. 1 US$ per gallon less tax (fuel tax and vat) for Diesel fuel than for petrol!
Old 12-11-2006, 07:53 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by 700700' post='366060' date='Dec 11 2006, 04:48 PM
well, were gonna see pics and a catalgoue on the 25th january
And that gem is from?

Don't tell me.

Your dealer.

ABC
Old 12-11-2006, 09:12 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by F?nfer' post='366063' date='Dec 11 2006, 04:52 PM
Actually current Diesel engines are much worse on the environment than petrol cars. They are quite popular in Europe mostly due to fuel taxes that make Diesel fuel artifically cheap: in Germany, you pay approx. 1 US$ per gallon less tax (fuel tax and vat) for Diesel fuel than for petrol!
Exactly my point! Diesels may be worse but the UK tax system works (at this point in time) on CO2 emissions only... Diesels emit less CO2 than 'similar' petrol engines so therefore the Government is making the statement that they'd rather have diesel engines out there... (Consumers will generally buy the product with the lowest possible tax implications)
Old 12-11-2006, 09:19 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by F?nfer' post='366063' date='Dec 11 2006, 04:52 PM
Actually current Diesel engines are much worse on the environment than petrol cars.
Looks like not everyone agrees with that generalisation.
http://www.stealthtdi.com/Emissions.html

Summary

Diesel cars are better than petrol cars with reference to carbon dioxide, the global warming gas.

Diesel cars are better than petrol cars with reference to carbon monoxide, a poison.

Diesel cars are better than petrol cars with reference to hydrocarbons which cause cancer.

Diesel cars are similar to petrol cars with reference to nitrous oxides, which cause smog.

Diesel cars are worse than petrol cars with reference to particulates, which have unproved health impacts.
ABC
Old 12-11-2006, 11:08 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 530i 6 speed

Diesel cars are better than petrol cars with reference to carbon dioxide, the global warming gas.
Diesel cars are better than petrol cars with reference to carbon monoxide, a poison.
Diesel cars are better than petrol cars with reference to hydrocarbons which cause cancer.
Diesel cars are similar to petrol cars with reference to nitrous oxides, which cause smog.
Diesel cars are worse than petrol cars with reference to particulates, which have unproved health impacts.

My research is in Diesel exhaust aftertreatment and I must generally agree with these statements. However, the new Diesel engine are pretty good with particlulates.
Its more the trucks and other mostly untreated Diesel sources (ships, locomotives) that produce A LOT of particulate matter.
For CO2, the Diesel is definitely better (of course, 99% of the pupulation here in the US doesn't give a damn about this).
Btw, NOx and HCs are also strong greenhouse gases, e.g., N2O is ~ 5000 times stronger than CO2.
Old 12-11-2006, 11:57 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by drjochen' post='366168' date='Dec 11 2006, 08:08 PM
Btw, NOx and HCs are also strong greenhouse gases, e.g., N2O is ~ 5000 times stronger than CO2.
So why the fascination on CO2?

In fact don't mammals inhale oxygen and emit CO2??? We're part of the 'problem'?
Old 12-12-2006, 09:23 AM
Members

My Ride: Soon to be delivered 523iA

Originally Posted by drjochen' post='366168' date='Dec 11 2006, 09:08 PM
In publications I have read, there is a strong consensus that Diesel cars are much worse than petrol cars with reference to NOx (several times) - at least those sold in Europe. I recall that the U.S. has actually stronger environmental laws and that diesel cars with advanced exhaust aftertreatment will be sold in the U.S. first (e.g. Mercedes Bluetec Diesels), and introduced in Europe only quite a few years later - when the E.U. laws catch up.

As far as particulates are concerned, at least the German government considers the health impact real, and has passed a new law to even subsidize those who will retrofit a respective filter with approx. 450 US$ in reduced taxes.

And, last but not least, I hate the sound :thumbsdown:
Old 12-12-2006, 09:28 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by F?nfer' post='366545' date='Dec 12 2006, 06:23 PM
there is a strong consensus that Diesel cars are much worse than petrol cars with reference to NOx (several times)
I don't think there is.

http://fengsrv1.leeds.ac.uk/cpd/documents/...051017c_000.doc

Additionally it's those who have smog problems that are NOX obsessive.

Another aspect to bear in mind is that just as in petrol combustion, there are evolutionary and sometomes revolutionary emissions control systems. None of these is perfect and all are compromises.

We can all back an emmissions technology to ignore. Some countries ignored a whole emissions treaty.

ABC
Old 12-12-2006, 10:01 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Where are you the oracle from and where did you see the car?

All the info you provided could be facts, 'cause the same features have
been seen in previous pics and newer models (E90-92 and in the new X5).

Quick Reply: Saw a facelift 5 series today