E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Satnav question

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2004, 01:05 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60 530d Sport - Carbon Black, Black Dakota Leather, Media Pack (satnav, bluetooth, CD changer), heated font seats, through load

I haven't yet worked out how to stop the satnav from giving directions.

1) Is there a quick way of muting the voice directions. That is, other than using iDrive to disable it.

2) How do you cancel a destination, without entering a new one.

I'm used to being able to either switch off or disable the satnav (in other cars). But the E60 seems to keep giving directions. Where you get close to a destination, but not right to it. Then when you drive away, it is still giving directions to that destination.

While messing about I discovered that holding the iDrive knob to the right will "shortcut" you to the nav screen. WIthout having to use the menu button. You can also do the same to jump to the phone screen, or radio screen.

Any other useful tips on using satnav or iDrive, that aren't immediately obvious.

(yes I will read the manual in detail sometime soon too )
Old 11-16-2004, 01:08 PM
JDN
Contributors

You can click on the selected destination again and click "Continue Guidance" or it may be "Start Guidance." That will deselect it and the lady will shut down.
Old 11-16-2004, 01:15 PM
Members

My Ride: Oxford Green E60 530D with tuning box and all the toys!

The default function for the diamond button on the steering wheel mutes the satnav. If it doesn't, go to the "vehicle functions" menu and set it there. I agree, the procedure to turn off the destinaiton is a pain. I have only managed it by highlighting the destination (white circle next to it), selecting it and de-selecting the "guidance" option.

I hope that helps.
Old 11-16-2004, 01:37 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d Sport - Carbon Black, Black Dakota Leather, Media Pack (satnav, bluetooth, CD changer), heated font seats, through load

Thanks guys. I'll give that a go.
Old 11-16-2004, 01:40 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545i/6sp SilverGray/Beige

Originally Posted by golfnut' date='Nov 16 2004, 05:15 PM
The default function for the diamond button on the steering wheel mutes the satnav. If it doesn't, go to the "vehicle functions" menu and set it there. I agree, the procedure to turn off the destinaiton is a pain. I have only managed it by highlighting the destination (white circle next to it), selecting it and de-selecting the "guidance" option.

I hope that helps.
[snapback]56938[/snapback]
If you have either steering wheel button programmed to "Repeat Last Nav Instruction," then pressing and holding for a second or two will mute the Nav instructions. You can verify this by looking at a map view and you will see a little icon with a line through a speaker (similar to the entertainment mute icon that is displayed in the iDrive status bar.

To cancel guidance altogether, go to the destinations list, select the current destination (there will be a a little arrow pointing to a dot (->0)) and uncheck the guidance checkbox.

I'm sure there are voice commands to do the exact same thing, but I haven't fully explored all of them.

-MrB

-MrB
Old 11-16-2004, 01:56 PM
Senior Members

The other thing you will discover is a pain with the Professional satnav (but bizarrely not the Business satnav, iirc) is there is no "route via" option. You can partially get around this by "loading up" multiple destinations using the "Add to destinations" and selecting each one subsequently.

A major oversight imo. Along with not being able to set road speeds.
Old 11-16-2004, 02:03 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Here's a link to a thread from September asking the same question about canceling a destination...
Old 11-17-2004, 01:50 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by mrbelk' date='Nov 16 2004, 04:40 PM
If you have either steering wheel button programmed to "Repeat Last Nav Instruction," then pressing and holding for a second or two will mute the Nav instructions. ................
[snapback]56950[/snapback]

yes that is a key point and caught me out for quite a while doh!!! kept pressing button, damn woman (satnav not my other half!) just kept repeating the last instruction, then i figured out that to mute her you have to hold the button in like mrbelk says.