E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Runflats

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 03:17 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TrAmLiNe-_-_-_-_TrAmLiNe-_-_-_-_TrAmLiNe-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_ What I hate most about my Dunlop RF's

Just got rid of mine forever and switched to snows. Ride now smooth as can be, no road noise and no more disruptive TRAMLINING, even on the most rutted roads. Kept mine about 28,000 miles rather than go for the extra $1200 when car was new, but car even with snow tires rides better than day it came out of showroom, and with 37,000 miles on it now.
Old 12-29-2006, 12:54 AM
Members

Hi

Seeing the talk about Run Flats - I thought I would add my story - I just got a 530d M Sport - running Goodyear NCT5 EMT 245/40 R18 Y - and the ride is absolutely abysmal ? to the point of being dangerous ? the rear of car just skips over bumps. I?ve now covered 2000 miles in the car and have had several ?moments? ? once when I was in a stream of fast moving traffic (on a road I know well) when everyone had to brake hard ? I was on a slightly bumpy section ? I brake ? the rear of the car starts to skip the bumps - tyres become un-weighted ? dashboard lights up with DSC DTC etc lights ? most un-nerving feeling. Another ?moment? was on a fast bend (again I know well) ? I discover the road is bumpy just at the braking point ? I never noticed the bumps in my previous cars ? this time the rear of the car skips out on the bumps ? DSC on ? struggle to make the bend.

This in my opinion makes the car dangerous ? there is no way a car with sporty suspension should be harder to stop than an everyday saloon.

Then there is the ride quality ? my wife now refuses to go in the car until something is done about it ? the harshness has aggravated an old back injury - so as you can see I'm in deep trouble!!

There must be BMW Engineers somewhere out there hanging their heads in shame. I can see what?s happened here ? Engineers spend months tuning the suspension ? then the marketing dept. get hold of this whizzo idea ? run flats. Thanks

Good points ? looks a smart car, fuel consumption 42mpg

Questions:-
Anyone had similar experiences with Runflats?
Do Runflats get better with age ?
What pressure do people run in the tyres ?? (I found it less harsh at 32psi)
Is the harsh ride solely due to the runflats, or is it the springs or the shocks
Eg 70% runflat, 20% springs, 10% shocks ???
Anyone got BMW to change anything eg springs to SE etc

Comments please
Old 12-29-2006, 01:53 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by netjazz' post='371923' date='Dec 29 2006, 12:17 AM
TrAmLiNe-_-_-_-_TrAmLiNe-_-_-_-_TrAmLiNe-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_ What I hate most about my Dunlop RF's
Just got rid of mine forever and switched to snows. Ride now smooth as can be, no road noise and no more disruptive TRAMLINING, even on the most rutted roads. Kept mine about 28,000 miles rather than go for the extra $1200 when car was new, but car even with snow tires rides better than day it came out of showroom, and with 37,000 miles on it now.
In Cologne recently I actually drove down a tramline.

No problem!

ABC
Old 12-29-2006, 05:05 AM
Members

What is TRAMLINING?
Old 12-29-2006, 05:20 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by IFly650i' post='372053' date='Dec 29 2006, 02:05 PM
What is TRAMLINING?
Is the right question.

Those that experience it would describe it as the vehicle's tendency to follow longitudinal depressions in the road's tarmac (sometimes caused by heavy vehicles or by bad road design).

ABC
Old 12-29-2006, 05:35 AM
KAF
Contributors

My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

Originally Posted by gcc_too' post='372027' date='Dec 29 2006, 09:54 AM
Questions:-
Anyone had similar experiences with Runflats?
Do Runflats get better with age ?
What pressure do people run in the tyres ?? (I found it less harsh at 32psi)
Is the harsh ride solely due to the runflats, or is it the springs or the shocks
Eg 70% runflat, 20% springs, 10% shocks ???
Anyone got BMW to change anything eg springs to SE etc

Answers

1. Yes, exactly the same.
2. No, not one bit.
3. Don't do it, you are guessing and using ride feel as your test. Stick to sticker pressures.
4. 90% runflats.
5. Not a chance and it will make little difference, I have an SE, same problem, only solved by dumping the thumpflats.
Old 12-29-2006, 05:48 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by KAF' post='372059' date='Dec 29 2006, 02:35 PM
Answers

1. Yes, exactly the same.
2. No, not one bit.
3. Don't do it, you are guessing and using ride feel as your test. Stick to sticker pressures.
4. 90% runflats.
5. Not a chance and it will make little difference, I have an SE, same problem, only solved by dumping the thumpflats.
100% concur.
Old 12-29-2006, 07:10 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by gcc_too' post='372027' date='Dec 29 2006, 09:54 AM
Comments please
Rim size is a known factor here.

Style and runflats don't seem to mix. No problems otherwise.

ABC
Old 12-29-2006, 07:21 AM
Contributors

My Ride: #1: 2004 545i; 6-speed manual; Sport Package; Mystic Blue with a gray leather interior and Anthracite wood; CWP; Logic 7. #2: 2010 535xi Touring; Automatic.

Originally Posted by KAF' post='370967' date='Dec 25 2006, 09:51 AM
No it is not, pick up the runflat info leaflet in your dealers. Read the small print.

You get up to 100 miles with driver only, it reduces dependant on load.

With 4 passengers and luggage, the recommendation is no more than 40 miles at speeds less than 50mph. :thumbsdown:

In the UK at 1.00 am you are not going to get to anywhere that will fix that flat inside 40 miles.

If you use run-flats, pack your walking boots
Even if it only means you can get from the dark, dangerous shoulder of the highway to a safe parking lot at a service station or even a lighted side road to change into the small spare, the runflat might have saved your life (people are injured severely and killed on roadways, because other cars sometimes hit cars on the side), and would at least have saved you crouching in the dark in driving rain or snow.

It's like any insurance, it's a price you pay to prevent the small chance at something very bad happening.
Old 12-29-2006, 08:40 AM
KAF
Contributors

My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

Originally Posted by tab545' post='372095' date='Dec 29 2006, 04:21 PM
It's like any insurance, it's a price you pay to prevent the small chance at something very bad happening.
Insurance does not prevent bad things happening, it only pays you to get them fixed, but I take your point.

However, nobody insures against every possible eventuality, we assess the risk, look at the cost of the insurance and make a value choice on whether to take the insurance or live with the risk.

More people die in collisions involving right turns than in replacing flat tyres, but we still choose to make right turns ( OK - Left turns in most of the world).

It is my personal choice, shared by a signifigant number of others that the benefits of RFT's are outweighed by the disadvantages.

IMO they do not grip on bends on roads with poor road surfaces as well as non RFT's. To me that is a bigger safety risk than getting an accident inducing blowout.

But it is all a matter of your personal perspective on relative risk.

Quick Reply: Runflats